0001 Y Tudalen Blaen / Home Page kimkat0001

....................2659e Y Porth Saesneg / English Gateway kimkat2659e

........................................2003e Y Barthlen / Plan of the website kimkat2003e

............................................................1804e Y Cymry Alltud / The Welsh in exile kimkat1804e

..........................................................................................··1927e Cyfeirddalen i Adran Gwladfa’r Glasbridd / Orientation page for the Welsh Blue Earth Settlement, Minnesota kimkat1927e
.........................................................................................................................y tudalen hwn / this page


Gwefan Cymru-Catalonia
La Web de Catalunya i Gal·les
The Wales-Catalonia Website

The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Editors: Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes. Published in 1895.

Biographies (Part 1) Baxter-Davies

(delwedd 6654)

Adolygiad diweddaraf / Latest update:
25 09 2001


A list of short biographies from "The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Editors: Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes. Published in 1895.



This page you are looking at is Section 1 of the Biographies
Surnames A-D



Forward to Section 2 of the Biographies
Surnames E-I



Forward to Section 3 of the Biographies
Surnames J-K



Forward to Section 4 of the Biographies
Surnames L-Q



Forward to Section 5 of the Biographies
Surnames R-Z


(1) Some entries were out of sequence in the book, and some appeared in an appendix. Here they are all together and they appear in the right order. The page on which the beginning of the entry is to be found ijn the original book is indicated here at the end of the entry.

2) Our comments within the text appear in brackets in orange type - for example, the correct spellings of place names - Bank Flosfelen (sic = Bancffosfelen)


(3) To this list of biographies also we have added the names of people appearing in photographs in the volume. In some cases there is no biography for an individual in a photograph.

(4) Usually the photo is a portrait. Sometimes though the individual is in a group photograph. In a few instances the portrait is an engraving. At some future date we hope to put these photos online.

(5) There might be the occasional typing mistake - I’ll correct these errors as I come across them.

(6) There are more names at 0856e (some names which appear in other sections of the book do not appear in the biographies section)



Throughout the text there appears the spurious form “Glanmorganshire” instead of Glamorganshire (the English name for Sir Forgannwg, a former county until 1974 in south-east Wales; and the unusual spelling Anglesea instead of Anglesey (the English name for Ynys Môn, a large island in the nort-west of the country)




[PHOTO] Baxter, John Thomas Spent his early life in Bangor, Wis., and attended High School at West Salem, where he received his preparation for college. He next entered Ripon college, at Ripon, Wis., as a freshman, in 1881, and completed his junior year there. There were at Ripon competitive prizes for declamations in freshman year, essays in sophomore year, and orations in junior year; and Baxter won first prize in all three. During freshman year he was elected one of the editors to the college paper, and he was connected with it in some capacity during the whole stay at Ripon. During his junior year he represented Ripon in the Wisconsin State Oratorical contest and succeeded in taking first honors. Consequently he represented Wisconsin at the Inter-State Oratorical contest held at Iowa City, Iowa, in the spring of 1884, and took third place among eighteen competitors. Throughout his stay at Ripon he was greatly handicapped by impecuniosity and earned his expenses as a messenger in the employ of the American Express company, having a short “run” which took him away from Ripon in the evening and brought him back early in the morning. At the end of his third year, not feeling prepared to graduate, he decided to drop out for a year and then finish his course at Williams college, towards which he had always looked with yearning. He entered the junior class at Williams in the fall of 1885, where he became a member of the Delta Upsilon fraternity. He was elected an editor of the literary monthly, and received the first junior “Moonlight” declamation prize. In senior year, as a representative of the Technian society he assisted in defeating the Logans in the annual joint debate, receiving one of the six Graves prizes for essay and the Van Vechten prize, and was library orator on class day. The Van Vechten prize is a $70.00 cash award, made at the end of the senior year, by vote of the faculty and students of Williams college, to that member of the graduating class who, in their opinion, has attained the greatest efficiency in the art of extemporaneous speaking. After graduating in 1887, he became clerk in a law office in Minneapolis, Minn., and was admitted to the bar in 1889, and since then has practiced (sic) law in that city. He is secretary of Minneapolis Bar association, and has read a paper before the Minnesota Congregational club on “Christian Socialism.” Mr. Baxter was married in October, 1891, to Gertrude Hooker, daughter of William Hooker of Minneapolis. (x158)

[PHOTO] Blossom, Mrs. Alice Daughter of Griffith O. and Sarah C. Williams, and granddaughter of the well known Rev. Daniel T. Davis, of Waukesha and La Crosse, was born at La Crosse, Wis. Soon after her birth her parents removed to Mankato, Minn. At a very early age she showed remarkable talent in music, appearing in concerts when but two and a half years old. Removing to Minneapolis with her parents, while still a young girl, she there pursued her studies ardently and with success, only handicapped by her health and strength, not being equal to her ambition. She was married in 1884 to Geo. F. Blossom and is the mother of two beautiful children, a girl and a boy. Under the personal instruction of the celebrated William Courtney, of New York, a Welshman formerly from London, her phenomenal voice has been developed to a high degree of perfection, the full, deep, rich, contralto quality being especially admired. In church and concert work she has hardly a rival in the northwest, and as a teacher she is very succesful, being at present teacher of the voice at the Northwestern Conservatory of Music, Minneapolis. She is an earnest, enthusiastic student and is never satisfied with present success, but continually striving after a higher ideal. (x159)

[PHOTO] Blythin, C. J. Was born in 1858 at Prestatyn, Flintshire, North Wales. His parents came to America in April, 1868, residing a short time in St. Joseph, Mo., thence removing to near Cambria, Wis. They then moved to Iowa, locating on a farm about four miles from Williamsburg. Young Blythin left home when about nineteen years old to attend school at Iowa City, Iowa; coming to Minneapolis in 1884. Entered the employ of D. R. Barber & Son in 1891 as bookkeeper and now holds the responsible position of manager with the same firm. (x159)

[PHOTO] Bowen, Daniel T. Born in Nicollet, Minn., February 17, 1862. Son of William T. and Gwendolen Bowen, who came to Nicollet from Spring Green, Wis., in June, 1859. The farther was a native of Llangyndeiren Carmarthenshire (sic; = Llangyndéyrn, Carmarthenshire), Wales, and the mother of Cardiganshire. They were married ad Blossburgh, Pa., and moved to Spring Green in October, 1855. In 1864 moved from Nicollet to Judson, where the father died October 1870. Daniel received a good common school education. Married Sarah, daughter of Evan Davis, Judson, in 1886. She died in 1888. Married again in 1890, Mrs. Barbara Blake, daughter of Adam Menton, of LeSueur, Minn. In 1890 he was appointed deputy sheriff of Blue Earth County by W. J. Glynn. In 1894 he was elected sheriff by a large majority on the Republican ticket. (x162)

[PHOTO] Bowen, Evan Born February 3, 1821, at Bank Flosfelen (sic; = Bancffosfelen), Llangyndeiren Carmarthenshire (sic; = Llangyndéyrn, Carmarthenshire), Wales. Emigrated to Blosburgh (sic; = Blossburgh), Pa., in 1840. In 1847 he married Miss Jane Edwards, at Charleston, Pa. Moved to Nicollet county, Minn., reaching the old townsite of Eureka on October, 27th, 1855. Within a few days he located on a claim about a mile west of this then promising city. In the summer of 1865 he purchased and moved to the farm still owned by the family, in the present town of Cambria, Blue Earth county. In 1867 he was elected sheriff of Blue Earth county. He was a man of much natural ability and force of character. Impulsive at times, almost to a fault, yet of a very kindly and generous disposition and the memory of his warm friendship still lingers in the bosom of many an old settler. He died January 3, 1871, leaving him surviving, his wife and six children, namely: Miss Mary J. Bowen, for years a most successful teacher in a number of the High schools of the state, and now editor of the Idaho Springs News, at Idaho Springs, Col.; Thomas E. Bowen (see below); Mrs. Margaret Roberts, of Denver, Colorado, formerly a very efficient teacher in our public schools; John E. Bowen, merchant at Courtland, Minn.; David E. Bowen, of Cambria, Minn., and Miss Esther Bowen, a very successful teacher in the Wisconsin and Minnesota schools. (x160)

[PHOTO] Bowen, Mrs. Jane Widow of Evan Bowen, was born at Llan On (= Llan-non), Bryn Maen (= Bryn-maen), Carmarthenshire, Wales, May 21, 1820. Her father's name was David Edwards, who in 1841 emigrated with his family to Charleston, Pa. Wise, careful and affectionate; she has ever been much loved by her children and acquaintances. She still resides on the old homestead in Cambria. (x161)

[PHOTO] Bowen, Thos. E. Journalist, son of Evan and Jane Bowen, was born October 13, 1849, at Blossburgh, Pa., and came to Minnesota in 1855 with his parents. Began his education in the county schools; then at the age of sixteen went to the High school at Mankato and afterwards to the State Normal of the same city. He taught school for a few years, and then began his career as a journalist at Sleepy Eye, Minn., where, in February, 1879, he founded and for a number of years published the Sleepy Eye Herald. November 1, 1877, he was united in marriage to Miss Emma E. White. In 1886 he was elected state senator from Brown county. About 1890 he removed to Duluth where he edited the Daily News for a few years. Since that time he has had editorial charge of a number of papers in Duluth and vicinity. He is an able and ready writer and a fearless defender of his convictions. ( “A weekly newspaper published every Thursday, the Sleepy Eye Herald-Dispatch has a circulation of 2,700. The Herald-Dispatch has provided news and advertising services to the Sleepy Eye community since 1879.”) (x161)

[PHOTO] Bumford, Richard R. Born at Mount Pleasant, Racine County, Wis., October 26, 1856. His parents were David and Eleanor Bumford. The mother died in May, 1860. Richard was educated at the district school of his native place and at the Racine High School. Came to Blue Earth County in March, 1876, where he remained teaching country schools for two years. He then removed to the Welsh settlement in Lyon County, and in 1882 was elected register of deeds of that county, which office he held for six years. Since that time he has been engaged with grear success in the real estate, loan and insurance business at Marshall, Minn. Married Miss Lucy Lewis, of Wyoming County, N. Y., in June, 1886. (x162)

[PHOTO] Cheshire, Isaac Born at Caernedde, about four miles west of Oswestry, Shropshire, England, in 1830. Offa's Dyke (a boundary ditch from the late 700s constructed in order to mark the border between England and Wales) passed through his father's farm. He emigrated to Racine, Wis., in 1846. About 1860, at Racine, Wis., he married Miss Ellen Davies, who was a native of Denbighshire, Wales. For two or three years during the war he was employed in the Department of the Interior in Washington. He then held the position of deputy revenue collector at Milwaukee for about a year. In 1866 he removed to Mankato, Minn., where he worked dor one year in the employ of Isaac Marks. He then formed a co-partnership with William Jones, as Cheshire & Jones, in general merchandise. The firm dissolved in 1875, and Mr. Cheshire was employed in the auditor's office of Blue Earth County, and for a few years prior to his death was deputy county auditor. He had a very remarkable talent as a bookkeeper, being one of the best accoutants Blue Earth County ever had. He was also a fine singer and a member of the famous Cambrian quartette, of which Prof. John P. Jones, of Chicago; W. W. Davis, of South Bend, and R. J. Thomas, late of Mankato, were the other members. He was a patron and ardent admirer of the Eisteddfod and of all musical and literary societies. He died suddenly of heart disease May 21st, 1882. Miss Mary E. Cheshire, of Cincinnati, O., is now his only surviving child. (x162)

[PHOTO] Dackins, David Born August 9, 1834, at Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire, Wales. Son of David and Elizabeth Dackins of Lower Green (Grin Isaf), Llanidloes. September 1851 emigrated with parents to Utica, N.Y., where they lived two years; thence for one year to Columbus, O., thence for a short time to Memphis, Tenn., and Saint Louis, Miss., thence in August 1855, to St. Paul, Minn, and from there in April, 1856, to Judson, Minn., where he, his father and brother, Edward, located on a farm. (Early in April, 1856, David and Edward Dackins, with their father, settled in Judson... (April 1857...) Next morning a company from this Eureka fort went to Swan Lake to confer with Chief Red Iron. David Dackins and Gustav Tidland, who could speak some Sioux, were sent to the village to interview the Indians, while the rest of the company halted at the edge of the timber. Red Iron gave the messengers full assurance of peace and friendship, and the company returned with their confidence in the redmen somewhat restored. See 0875 History of the Welsh Settlements) November 1860 married Ellen, daughter of Edward and Jane Edwards, then of Butternut Valley. August 18th, 1862, enlisted in Company E., Ninth Minnesota, and was with this company until the battle of Guntown, Miss., but in the retreat from that disastrous campaign he was separated from his regiment and once taken prisoner, but through his shrewdness escaped, and after days of wandering and untold hardships reached the Union lines. His health, however, was badly shattered so that he was unable thereafter to rejoin his company. In 1874 he removed to Mankato and followed the occupation of carriage painter. He as always taken a lively interest in politics, being one of the very few Welsh Democrats. Never seeking an office himself, he has always taken pleasure in helping those he deemed worthy, without regard to party. His wife died May 29th, 1880 (Errata: read “1890” instead of 1880”). Their children are William, John, Edward and Jennie. [See: The Welsh of Blue Earth and Le Sueur Counties, Minn. - Their Record in the War of the Rebellion 0854, and The Minnesota Massacre 0859] (x163)

Daniel, R. E. Born in Llangeitho, South Wales, May 18th, 1844. Parents, Evan and Mary Daniel. Emigrated with parents to Racine, Wis., 1848. Parents, Evan and Mary Daniel. Emigrated with parents to Racine, Wis., 1848. Mother died in 1850. Lived on farm with grandparents, Roderick and Catherine Evans, for six years, then worked for other farmers; afterwards went to Racine and learned the blacksmith trade. Enlisted in Company “F”, Twenty-second Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry August 9thh, 1862, and served until end of the war. Mustered out at Washington, D.C., June 12th, 1865. Engaged in real estate and insurance soon after close of war. Married Mary E. Lewis, Berlin, Wis., for twenty-one years. Mr. and Mrs. Daniel, three sons and two daughters, moved to Minneapolis in May, 1887. Mrs. Daniel died December 1st, 1887. Mr. Daniel married Jeannette M. Jones, of Berlin, Wis., June 11th, 1890. He is now and has for the past fifteen years been engaged in the business of adjuster and fire insurance losses. He is interested in music and has taken prizes as a soloist and conductor in several musical conventions, and has served as ajudicator of music at the Minneapolis Eisteddfod. (x163)

[PHOTO] Daniel, T. R. The subject of this sketch was born October 7th, 1846, at Llangeitho, Cardiganshire, South Wales. In 1848 he came with his parents, Evan and Mary Daniel, to Racine, Wis., and spent several years of his boyhood with his grandfather, Roderick Evans, at Mount Pleasant. When eighteen years old he went to Fox Lake, Wis., where he lived for fifteen years and was engaged in the mercantile business. In 1869 he married Mary I. Trimble, and ten years later went to Oshkosh, Wis., where he remained for two years, engaged in the insurance business. In March, 1882, he took a traveling position with the North British and Mercantile Insurance Company, and the following year moved to Minneapolis and was given the state agency for Minnesota and North and South Dakota for the same company, and is still in the employment of the company. From 1889 to 1894 he had charge of the company's office at Minneapolis, also the company's local business. Mr. Daniel takes a great interest in music, and was a member of the duet which secured the prize at the Racine Eisteddfod in 1882. He also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. (x164)

[PHOTO] Davis, Charles E. Born in Montgomeryshire, Wales, in 1844. (Errata: Strike out first sentence and insert: “Born at Trefonen, near Oswestry, Shropshire, England, July 9, 1846. Son of Edward and Elizabeth Davis.”) Emigrated to Le Sueur, Minnesota, in 1865, and thence to Lake Crystal in 1869, where he engaged in the general mercantile business. He was very popular and successful and soon became the leading merchant of that town. He also formed a partnership with W. P. Marston and P. A. Larson in the banking business there, under the firm name of Marston, Larson and Davis. In 1892 he sold out his mercantile business, forming a partnership with R. D. Hubbard and Geo. M. Palmer, under the firm name of Davis, Hubbard & Palmer. Married Miss Sylvia O., daughter of Thomas Raney, of LeSueur. (x164)

[PHOTO] Davis, Hon. Cushman Kellogg Senator, born June 16th, 1838, at Henderson, N.Y., of Welsh ancestry, who had originally come from South Wales to Massachussets. His parents moved to Waukesha, Wis., about September, 1838. His father, Horatio N. Davis, was county treasurer of Waukesha county for several terms; was state senator from Rock county, Wis., two terms, and was a captain in a Wisconsin regiment during the civil war. He is now 84 and his estimable wife is 81 years of age. Both are still vigorous in mind and body and reside at St. Paul, Minn. Their distinguished son, Cushman K., was educated at Carroll college of that town and graduated from Michigan University in 1857. Read law with Governor Randall, and was admitted to practice in 1859 at Waukesha. Enlisted in the Twenty-Eighth Wisconsin Vlounteers in 1862 and was made First Lieutenant of Company B and soon promoted Assistant Adjutant Genereal on the staff of Gen. Willis A. Gorman, but after two years service was obliged to resign his commission on account of ill health caused by an attack of typhoid fever. In 1865 he settled in St. Paul and resumed the practice of his profession in partnership with Gen. Gorman. In 1866 he was elected to the Minnesota legislature and from 1867 until 1873 was United States district attorney for Minnesota, and in the fall of the latter year was chosen governor of the state. He served with great acceptance to the people, but declined a renomination. He again resumed the practice of his profession and soon won the deserved reputation of being one of the best lawyers in the state. In 1880 he married Miss Anna M. Agnew, of St. Paul, January 18, 1887, he was chosen United States senator and reelected in 1893. His vast erudition, especially in jurisprudence and modern foreign languages, make him an invaluable member of the prominent Senate committees, and his great ability as an orator, lawyer and statesman put him in the foremost rank of the present great men of our nation, and he is prominently mentioned for the presidency. (x164)

[PHOTO] Davies, Charles W. Engraver, born at Whitesboro, N.Y., June 21, 1854. Only son of David and Sarah (Jones) Davies. The father was a carpenter and builder and came to Central New York from Wales, in 1823, when six years old. The mother was born in New York. Both were active members of the Welsh Congregational church. Charles having finished his public school education, took a course of elective studies at Whitestown Seminary until twenty-one years old, when he went to Utica and started to learn the jeweler's trade, but having a natural genius for engraving he soon acquired a thorough knowledge of this art under an engraver of that city, and formed a co-partnership with his instructor, which lasted two years. He then started in the business alone at Syracuse, where he had the misfortune to lose all his property by fire. After stopping a short time at Grand Rapids, Mich., he came to Minneapolis, Minn., and without any capital save an indomitable will, began business, with a store box for a table, as the pioneer engraver of Minneapolis. His success has been very great, and his commodious business place at 610 Nicollet avenue, is in marked contrast with his small beginning. In 1885 he married Miss Clara S. Getz, of Deleware, O., an estimable Christian lady. They have two children, Marion and Clifford. (x165)

[PHOTO] Davies, Daniel T. Born October 15th, 1832, at a farm called Brynawen (Brynawen), near New Quay (Ceinewydd), Cardiganshire, Wales. He came to the United States from Rhymny (Rhymni), Monmouthshire, in the summer of 1869. Worked in the coal mines of Pennsylvania and Ohio for about three years and then moved to the silver mines of Colorado. In the year 1878 he left Montezuma, Col., for Dodgeville, Wis., on a visit to his uncle, the Rev. J. D. Davies, where he met Miss Sarah, daughter of Robert R. Williams, of Dodgeville, and they were married January, 1879, then removed to Kokomo, Col., where they spent three years. In 1882 he came to Minneapolis, and engaged in the meat business. In 1888 he was appointed by the city council city meat inspector, which office he filled for about four years. He was elected deacon of the Welsh church of Minneapolis in 1889 and has continued zealous and faithful to his trust, and one of the pillars of the society. He has served as treasurer of his church for many years, and holds that position at the present time. His family consists of four boys, namely, Eddie, Robbie, Albert and Wynne. (x166)

 Davies, Rev. David Born at Tirgwyn (Tir-gwyn), Llandysiliogogo (Landysilio Gogo), Wales, July 12, 1789. He was a son of Evan and Elizabeth Davies, and brother of Rev. Samuel Davis and Rev. Jenkin Davies, the latter being a very noted C.M. minister. His father was a prominent elder of the C.M: church, of Pensarn (Pen-sarn), located on his farm. The family tradition is that the late distinguished Dr. Samuel Davies, president of Princeton college, was a member of the same Davies family. The subject of our sketch also prepared himself for the ministry. through his educational advantages were few. He began preaching at Pensarn (Pen-sarn) church in 1814. In 1824 he married Mary, daughter of Evan Jenkins, of Ffynon Berw (Ffynnonberw), and about 1830 built him a new residence on a part of the Tirgwyn (Tir-gwyn) estate and called it Brynawen (Brynawen). In 1837 he emigrated to Bloomfield township, Jackson county, O. There he preached to the Welsh settlers - one preaching station being near his own home, which stood on the old turnpike road, between Gallipolis and Chillicothe, ten miles east of Jackson Court House; the other station was seven miles away at the house of Isaac Evans, in Gallia county. Both of these congregations were soon organized into churches, with houses of worship and flourishing Sunday schools. He was ordained to the ministry in 1840. In America his ministerial connection (until his death) was with the Presbyterian church, but he ministered mostly to Congregational churches. Being a strong Abolitionist he became a member of the Underground railroad. In May, 1856, he removed with his family to Blue Earth county, Minn., locating on a farm in the western end of the present town of Cambria. During 1856-7 and 8 he preached for the Calvinistic Methodist churches of Blue Earth and LeSueur counties, being the first regular preacher in Horeb church. In 1859 he joined the Congregational church and with Rev. Jenkin Jenkins and Henry Hughes, began (in the fall of that year) a preaching service in the vicinity of Horeb church. Here, at the house of Henry Hughes, he organized a Congregational church on March 11, 1860. Rev. Samuel Jones, of La Crosse, Wis., then visiting the settlement, assisting. Dr. Davies (as he was generally called from his having studied medicine) continued to preach to this church, alternately with Henry Hughes, until his death, which occurred April 17, 1861. His saintly wife followed him October 6, of the same year. Dr. Davies was a great reader, a close thinker and a sound reasoner. A man of strong convictions and of unswerving loyalty to his principles. A fast friend of all that was right and a firm foe to all that was wrong. He left surviving him five children: Rev. Evan L. Davies, M.A., of Lake Forest, Ill.; Rev. Peter S. Davies, Ph.D., of Mandan, North Dakota; David S. Davies, late of Cottonwood, Brown county, Minn., and the late Mrs. Mary S. Davies, wife of Thos. Y. Davies, who died March 3, 1871, leaving her surviving one daughter, Mary, wife of John F. Dackins, of Mankato. (x166)

[PHOTO] Davies, David J. Born at Llangristiolus, Anglesea, Wales, March 31st, 1814. Oldest son of John and Catharine (sic) Davies, who were poor but pious people and gave their young son the rich legacy of a religious training. In early life he worked on farms and read all the books he could find. At this time a parson of the English church named Isaac Jones took much interest in the studious youth and urged him to join the English church and study for the ministry, but he was too deeply rooted in the Calvanistic Methodist faith to comply with the parson's conditions. About 1840 he went to work in the quarries of Llanberis, and there when about 27 years old he united with the C. M. Church of Cefnywaen (Cefn-y-waun). He spent some time at Merthyr Tydfil (Merthyrtudful), but in August, 1844, being thrown out of work with 300 others, he emigrated to America and stayed for some time near Racine, Wis., then at Beloit for three years, and then located on a farm at Proscairon, Wis. April 22nd, 1848, he married Gwen, daughter of the late Rev. D. J. Williams. Mr. and Mrs. Davies had always longed for the missionary field, and a door was opened for them in the call of the Presbyterian Board for teachers of Indians in Nebraska (said to be Omahas elsewhere in the book). Leaving their farm in the spring of 1853 they crossed the wild country to their field of labor among these Indians. There they toiled faithfully and efficiently until the summer of 1860, when they returned to Proscairon. In the summer of 1861, they removed to Beaver Township, Filmore County, Minn., where they located on a farm. Mr. Davies died September 22, 1891, leaving surviving his saintly wife and three children, Hugh, Walter and Claudia (now widow of the late William H. Thomas). Mr. Davies was a man of strong intellectual grasp, who by wide reading and careful study had become well posted in scriptural and secular knowledge. He was also possessed of a most excellent Christian spirit, which greatly endeared him to all that knew him. (x168)

[PHOTO] Davis, David J. Born at Llanddewibrefi (Llanddewi Brefi), Cardiganshire, Wales, December 11, 1814. Son of Thomas and Jane Davis, Penstair (?Pen-staer) . He was a carpenter by trade. Married Hannah, daughter of David Jones, an innkeeper of Llangeitho, December, 1840. Emigrated to America in the summer of 1837 and settled first at Cuyahoga Falls, Portage County, O. About 1844 he bought a sawmill in Edinburg Township, which he operated very successfully for eleven years. In July 1855, in company with David J. Williams, he visited the new Welsh settlement of Blue Earth County and located a claim in Section 16 of Cambria, to which he removed with his family the following November. His wife died in October, 1859. He was county commissioner of Blue Earth County in 1862-3, and has held a number of town and school offices. During the terrible Sioux massacre of 1862 his eighteen-year-old son, Thomas, was killed on the morning of September 10th within a few rods of the house, and Mr. Davis and his other children, as they fled, were in view of the savages. Mr. Davis is a man of strict integrity and much determination. He has always been a great reader and is well posted in public affairs. His children are Ann, wife of John R. Williams, of Cambria; David J., Hannah, Mary, wife of John Lloyd, of Tracy; Jane, wife of David E. Thomas, of Lake Crystal; Herbert, Margaret and Catherine. (x168)

 Davies, David P. Born at Cwm May Bush (??), Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud), Cardiganshire, Wales, in 1811. Married Miss Jane Davies, of Llanbadarn Fach, same shire. Emigrated to Jackson county, Ohio, in August, 1838. Came as one of six, sent by a colony of Welsh people of Jackson, (see 0875 The colony from Jackson, Ohio)to examine the Welsh settlements of Blue Earth County in October, 1855, and on May 10th, 1856, landed with his family at South Bend, locating on claims in the present town of Cambria about the 7th of June following. Horeb church was organized at his house, and he was one of the charter members and first deacons. He was not only one of the prime movers in its organization, but also in the erection of its house of worship and the maintenance of its services for years. In 1857 he erected a small steam saw and grist mill on his farm in the Little Cottonwood valley. He and his sons took an active part in the defense of the frontier during the Indian outbreaks of 1857 and 1862. In 1865 he removed to South Bend and opened a general merchandise store which he still conducts with his son, David P. Davis, Jnr. His wife died January 5, 1892. Their surviving children are: Daniel P. Davis, of Cambria; John P. Davis, of Tracy; Mary, wife of James Morgan, of Custer, Lyon county; David P. Davis, Jnr.; Eben P. Davis, who was wounded by the Indians in 1862 and now lives at Cambria; and Evan P. Davis, merchant on the Pacific coast. Two of the children are deceased: Margaret, first wife of Wm. Edwards, of Cambria, and Henry P., late of Worthington, Minn. (x169)

[PHOTO] Davies, David S. Eldest son of the late Rev. David Davies, Cambria, Minn., born near New Quay (Ceinewydd), Cardiganshire, Wales, in 1829. Emigrated with his parents to Jackson County, O., where he received a good common school education, married in the spring of 1856, Miss Rachel Evans, and removed with the Jackson colony to Minnesota in May of this year (see 0875 The colony from Jackson, Ohio), and soon located on a farm in section 13 of Cottonwood, Brown County, whereon his family still reside. He held a number of offices in his town and was a leading elder of the Horeb C. M. church for over twenty-five years. He was a great reader and very fond of Biblical study in which he was well posted. His sound judgement, wide knowledge, sterling character and consacrated heart made his life a power for the good in the church and community. He died January 2nd, 1895, leaving him surviving his wife and nine children, David E., Mary S., Edward, Ellen, Elizabeth, Peter S., Katie, Alice and John. (x170)

[PHOTO] Davis, David T. Born at Cwm Mawr (Cwm-mawr), Llanarth (Llannarth), Cardiganshire, Wales, August 10th, 1825. He married Miss Magdalene Evans, of Pant-y-Rhew (Pant-y-rhew), in the parish of Dyhewyd (Dihewyd), of the same shire, in 1849, and they lived in a place called Fynon Dalis (Ffynnondalis) in the last mentioned parish, whence in the fall of 1853 they emigrated to Big Rock, Ill. September 25th, 1855, they came to Judson, Minn., and located on the farm now owned by Rev. John W. Roberts. They were two of the thirteen character members of the Salem Congregatinal church, organized October 14th, 1855, by Rev. Jenkin Jenkins, and Mr. Davis was made one of the two deacons of this church, which office he held with great acceptance until his death. In the summer of 1863 he removed to the present town of Cambria, where the remainder of his life was spent. June 21st, 1866, his wife died. January 5th, 1869 he married Mrs. Jane Williams, daughter of David Pugh, of near Dolgellau, Wales, who had emigrated first to Utica, N.Y., then to Dodgevulle, Wis., in 1850, and thence to South Bend, Minn., in 1856, where her first husband, William Williams, died. She, also, died January 30th, 1892, and Mr. Davis followed her to the Better Land October 28th, 1894. Mr. Davis was a true, conscientious Christian, who won the esteem of all the community by his blameless life and faithful service. In addition to his duties as deacon he led the singing in the Salem church for many of its earlier years. He was also fond of poetry and had no little ability as a composer of Welsh verse. He was frequently elected to various town offices, and in all places secular, social and religious was honest and faithful. His children are Anna Jones, of Rockford, Ill.; Lizzie Davis, of St. Peter, Minn., Ellen Evans, wife of John L. Evans, of Cambria, Minn., and Evan J. and John T. Davis of the same place. (x170)

[PHOTO] Davis, David Y. Born in Llanarth (Llannarth), Cardiganshire, Wales, in September 1835. His parents were named John and Elizabeth Davis. In 1841 he removed with his mother to Tredegar, Wales, and thence in June, 1851, to the United States - locating first at Bridgeport, O., removing the following year to Pomeroy, O. He came to the present town of Cambria in July, 1855, and located on the claim he recently sold to Rev. Thomas E. Hughes. He returened to Ohio in September of that year, but came back to his claim the following April. He again returned to Ohio in 1858, where he remained until the spring of 1860. August 18th, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Ninth Minnesota Infantry Volunteers, and served wit his regiment faithfully until the close of the war, taking part in all its marches and battles. October 4th, 1869, he married Miss Susanna, daughter of David and Margaret Lloyd, of LeSueur County. In the spring of 1875 he rented his farm and moved to Amiret, Lyon County, where he was in the mercantile business for one and one-half years. He ten removed to Ottawa, LeSueur County, where he continued in the mercantile business until the fall of 1888, when he retired form business and built a comfortable home in Mankato, where he now resides. Honest, conscientious, and of sound principles - a successful business man - a faithful and brave soldier and a kind and hospitable friend and neighbor, he is much respected by all. The children are Lizzie, Evan, Thomas, Maggie and Edwin. (x171)

[PHOTO] Davis, Dr. Edward J. Third son of Edward and Jane Davis, was born at Pencraig (?Pen-craig), Towyn (Tywyn), Merionethshire, Wales, July 6th, 1839. When he was quite young his parents emigrated to Marcy Township, Oneida County, N. Y., where they settled on a farm. They had six other other children, all of whom, except one daughter, still survive, namely: William C., of Lake Crystal, Minn.; Owen H. and Lewis L., of Madelia, Minn.; Mrs. Charles Bennett and Mrs. William C. Durkee, of Mankato, Minn. When Edward was twelve years old his parents moved to the village of Whitesborow in the same county. He attended the village school for the next two years, when his father met severe financial reverses in his business of cattle buyer, and henceforth Edward had to rely on his own resources. The next six years he worked on farms during the summer and did chores for his board in the winter while attending the village school and Whitestown Seminary. During 1860 and until the spring of 1862 he taught at the Wilson Institute, Wilson; Niagara County, N.Y. Judge A. W. Tourgee, was his co-laborer and room-mate during first year. He then returned to Whitesborow and began to study medicine with Dr. Charles E. Smith, but October 9th, 1862, he enlisted as private in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-Sixth Regiment, New York Volunteers, and was soon ordered to the front. After two month's service he was detailed assistant hospital stewart (sic), and after the battle of Gettysburg was commissioned hospital stewart (sic) of the regiment. After the battle of Cold Harbor in June, 1864, he was detailed chief steward of second division, fifth corps, field hospital. This position he held until March 2nd, 1865, when he was commissioned first lieutenant in his regiment, and re-mustered on that date as such and assigned to the command of Company C, which he held until disabled by wounds at the battle of Five Forks, Va., April 1st, 1865, when he was brevetted captain for gallant conduct at this battle. Was mustered out with his regiment at Syracuse, N.Y., June 16th, 1865, and in the following September resumed his study of medicine and graduated M. D., from the Anthony Medical College, December 24th, 1867. Came to Makato early in April, 1868, where he opened an office the following May and ever since has been in active practice. His kinfolks had already come west except his father, who was accidentally drowned in the spring of 1867. His mother lived to the ripe age of eighty-three and died at her daughter's home in Mankato. June 30th, 1870, he married Miss Chrissie Thompson, of Wilmington, Ill. Three children have blessed their union, two of whom are living, a son and a daughter. He was appointed United States examining surgeon of pensions in 1869, and served continuously until 1893. He was a member of the state board of health for fifteen years. Was present and helped organize the State Medical Society in February, 1869, being an active contributing member ever since, and in 1885 was chosen its president. Was a charter member of the Minnesot Valley Medical Society, of which, also, he has since been an active working member, and one year was honored with its presidency. Has served five years on the Mankato board of education; and since 1872 has been elder of the Presbyterian church of Mankato, and has always been prominent in all the work of the church and Sabbath school. (x171)

 Davis, Evan Born in 1826, at Llangwrle (??a mistake for Llangynllo), Cardiganshire, Wales. His parents were Daniel and Sarah Davis. He received a fair common school education. At the age of 24 years he married Miss Catharine Davis, daughter of Havod Hir (Hafod-hir), Llanbadarn Fach of the same shire, a sister of Rev. David Davis, Bethania. A year after their marriage they emigrated to Jackson county, Ohio, and thence in May, 1856, moved with the Jackson colony to the Welsh settlement of Blue Earth county (see 0875 The colony from Jackson, Ohio), locating in Judson, where he died in 1885. Genial, kind-hearted, hospitable and ever ready to extend a helping hand he was much beloved by all his acquaintance. The widow and the youngest son, John E., still reside on the old homestead, The other children are Elizabeth, wife of R. S. Pritchard, Mary, wife of David J. Williams, Benjamin E., Daniel E., Katie, wife of David E. Bowen, and Evan E. (x173)

[PHOTO] Davis, Evan J. Born at Nant-y-Gwrdu (??) Llanarth (Llannarth) Cardiganshire, Wales, in May 1819. At the age of seventeen he united with the Congregational church at Pen Cae (Pen-cae) (this town is known today as Glynebwy, in English “Ebbw Vale”) under Dr. Phillips, of Neuadd-lwyd. He went to work in the coal mines of Sirhowy (Sirhywi) in 1840. Married Miss Ann Thomas, daughter of John Thomas (Founder) in 1847. The following year, 1848, he emigrated to America, locating for a short time at Sugar Creek, Pa., thence going to Bridgeport, O., where in 1852 his wife died. Shortly after his wife's death he removed to Minersville, O. There he assisted in the organization of the first Congregational church at that place and was elected its first deacon. In October, 1855, he removed to Blue Earth County, Minn., and located on a claim in the present town of Cambria. There he took a very prominent part in the early history of the community and held a number of the local offices. On his arrival in Minnesota he first united with the Congregational church, whose place of worship was then in Judson, but owing to the fact that this was six miles away from his claim, while the Calvanistic Methodist church was situate (sic) on the corner of his farm, he determined to unite with Horeb, especially since the Congregational church had suspended for a short time, owing to a little discord that had arisen. He was very highly esteemed by his Calvanistic brethren and had he consented would have been made an elder. March 31st, 1860, he married Miss Ann Evans, daughter of Edward and Ann Evans, then of LeSueur County. January, 1862, he was appointed postmaster at Butternut Valley. He enlisted in Company E, Ninth Regiment, Minnesota Volunteers, in August, 1862. Served for about a year in the Sioux campaign and then his regiment was ordered south - first to Missouri and then in May, 1864 to Mississippi. At the battle of Guntown, June 10th, 1864, he was made a prisoner and taken to Andersonville prison, where he died October 15th, 1864. He was a man of strong political, moral and religious convictions, and was always honest, earnest and fearless in their defense, yet he was primarily a man of peace, kind, generous, conciliatory. A sincerely good man of excellent judgement and social principles, he was highly respected and dearly loved by all who knew him. (x173)

 Davies, John E. Born at Nefyn, Pembrokeshire (sic. Sir Benfro / Pembrokeshire is in South Wales; Nefyn is in North Wales, in the present county of Gwynedd, formerly Sir Gaernarfon / Caernarfonshire, Caernarvonshire), Wales, July 26th, 1795. Married Miss Dinah Lewis [PHOTO], of Llandilo (Llandeilo), in 1822. They emigrated to Utica, N.Y., in 1839, and thence to Big Rock, Ill. In June, 1855, they came to Blue Earth County, Minn., and located at the present town of Cambria, being the first white settlers of that town. Prior to his arrival there had been no religious organizarion of any kind formed west of South Bend, but the very first Sunday after he came, Mr. Davies organized a Sunday school at the cabin of Humphrey Jones in the western part of Judson, and was made its first superintendent. He also was mainly instrumental in forming a prayer meeting, in addition to the Sunday school, and in organizing this religious nucleus into a Congregational church in the following October (This church is now known as Salem Congregational church). Mr. Davies was made one of its first deacons, which office he held until his death, which occurred at Cambria May 26th, 1867. He was a man of much religious faith and fervor and was always energetic in pallying them to practical deeds. In hospitality he and his good wife excelled. The latch string of their cabin door always hung out to welcome strangers and rarely a day passed in those early years but it ws pulled by someone. There is hardly a pioneer in the settlment who, when he first came, a stranger in quest of a home, did not dine and lodge at the cabin of “Shon Davidd” (sic. Should be Siôn Dafydd. This is how John Davies - the official English name - is said in Welsh). His wife, Dinah Davis, was born at Llandegefyn (No such place. Probably should be Llan-y-cefn), Pembrokeshire, Wales, October 17th, 1801, and died at Cambria February 7t, 1879. A good Christian woman. kindhearted and generous, never so happy as when ministering to others. Their children are William E. Davies, Sarah, wife of William R. Lewis, of Lake Crystal, and Elizabeth, wife of Richard Jones, of Cambria, Wis. (x174)

[PHOTO of Mr. and Mrs. Davis] Davis, John I. (Ioan Idris), born at Bala, Merionethshire, Wales in 1821. (Ioan Idris is his bardic name, Ioan being the form used in the Bible corresponding to colloquial Welsh Siôn (in English, John). The 'I' of his official English name is probably Idris - in the 1800s it began to be used as a given name, taken form the name of a mountain by Dolgellau seventeen miles south-west of the town of Y Bala. The mountain is Cader Idris (the) chair (of) Idris, a giant in local mythology) Son of John Davis, bookbinder and stationer. He was educated at the grammar school of Dolgellau and afterwards apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade with his uncle, “Meurig Ebrill.” The Welsh bards “Meurig Idris” and “Idris Fychan” took much interest in him, and taught him bardic composition until he became well versed in the twenty-four Welsh measures. The fair promise of youth matured in him to make an able and useful man. Emigrated to Utica, N.Y., when twenty-one years old. He was soon chosen elder of the C. M. church, and two of his co-elders were Revs. D. F. Jones and R. F. Jones. At Utica he married Miss Owens. Removed to and resided for some time at Cambria, Wis., and came with his wife to Judson, Minn.; in 1868. Here his wife died May 16th, 1882, and he also died January 13th, 1889. His loss was felt in many circles and especially in the Sabbath school. He was a fine Welsh poet and many of his compositions yet remain, which it is hoped will be gathered together and published. The following is a specimen of his work, from his poem,

Y Ddafad Golledig (the lost sheep):

I'm galw daw Mugeilydd, - er niwliau
····'R anialwch fe'm cenfydd:
Ior (Iôr) ydyw fy Ngwaredydd
Yn y farn fy Nuw a fydd.

(My Shepherd will come to call me - in spite of the mists
of the wasteland he will perceive me;
(the) Lord is my Saviour
At the judgement he will be my God)

[PHOTO] Davis, John P. Born in July, 1838, on the Atlantic Ocean, when his parents, David P. and Jane Davis, were emigrating from Cardiganshire, Wales, to Jackson County, O. Received a good common school education, and removed with his parents to Blue Earth County, Minn., 1856, with the Jackson colony (see 0875 The colony from Jackson, Ohio), and located in the present town of Cambria. In 1862 joined the state militia to protect the froontier against the Sioux, and in December, 1863 enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry, wherein he served until the close of the war 1865. In 1866 he married Catherine, daughter of David and Margaret Lloyd, of Sharon, LeSueur County, and operated his farm in Cambria until 1873, when he removed to New Ulm and engaged in the mercantile business. After two years he removed to Tracy, Minn., and continued in the mercantile busienss there until 1888, when he sold out and became president and stockholder of the “Commerce Bank” of Tracy. In 1892 he removed temporarily to Hamline to give his children the benefit of the university there. Mr. Davis still conducts a loan and real estate office at Tracy. His business vsntures have been very successful so he need not fear a rainy day. Politically he is an aggressive prohibitionist. In religion he and Mrs. Davis are faithful members of the First Presbyterian church of Tracy, of which Mr. Davis is an active ruling elder. Their children are Margaret Ella, wife of Neil Finch, of Tracy; John Edgar, Jayne and David Edwin. (x175)

[PHOTO] Davies, John S. Son of the late Rev. David Davies, born in Cardiganshire, Wales, August 12th, 1831. He came to America with his parents in the year 1837, settling in Jackson County, Ohio. At the age of seventeen he began to teach in the common schools, which occupation he followed with fair success for about eight years. In 1856, he, with his parents, brother and sister, removed to Minnesota, with the Jackson colony, and located on farms in the present town of Cambria, where he has resided most of the time ever since. In 1860 he married Miss Mary, daughter of the late Thomas J. Jones, of LeSueur County. There remains today as the fruit of this union seven sons and two daughters, viz: D. Charles, J. Milton, Peter W., D. Alvin, J. Elmer, P. Osborne, H. Lester, Ellen M., and M. Edith. Mr. Davies was elected deacon of Zion church in the year 1878; he has now for many years been a member and deacon of Horeb church in the town of Cambria, and has also for years led the congregational singing in (the) said church with fidelity and acceptance. (x176)

[PHOTO] Davis, L. (No entry. Appears in a photo captioned “Welsh Business Men of Lake Crystal, Minnesota”)

Davis, Lewis Born on the banks of the river Rheidol, parish of Llanbadarn Fawr, Cardiganshire, Wales, January 1, 1832. Married Ann, daughter of John and Catherine Jenkins, Penrhyn Coch (Penrhyn-coch), in February, 1859. Removed to Rhosllanerchrugog (Rhosllannerchrugog), Denhighshire (sic: = Denbighshire / Sir Ddinbych), in 1865. Emigrated to Calumet, Mich., in June, 1870, and worked four years in copper mines of Lake Superior and vicinity. His wife died March 4, 1874, at Calumet. In the year 1875 he removed to Judson, Minn., where he located on his present valuable farm. The fine residence shown in engraving was built in 1892, and is located on the farm of his bachelor brother, David Davis, who was born at the same place in Wales in 1830, and came to Judson in 1870 and lives with Lewis. Lewis has been a faithful member of the Salem C. M. church since he came to Judson, and in 1882 was made a ruling elder. His children are: John C., Catherine, wife of Evan Pugh; Elizabeth, widow of John R. Jones; Sarah J., wife of Robert H. Owens; David and Lewis, all of Blue Earth county, and Mamie, of Hillsdale, Mich. (x176)

 Davis, Owen Born at Havodglas Gwyryfon ( a mistake, probably for Hafod, Llangwyryfon; if not Hafod-las, Llangwyryfon), Cardiganshire, Wales, January 1822. Son of Evan and Gwen Davis. Emigrated to Jackson County, O., in 1838, where he married Miss Margaret Hughes, daughter of John Hughes, of Oak Hill, O. In 1857 he removed to Cleveland Township, LeSueur County, Minn., where he located on the farm now occupied by the family. During the Indian outbreak his home was the place of the neighbourhood. June 2d, 1865, he was mustered into Company E, Fourth Minnesota Volunteers. He died January 7th, 1893, leaving surviving his wife and four children, Evan, John and Elizabeth and Mrs. David Rees Lloyd. In life he was always of robust health, energetic and industrous. He had a genial, contented and hospitable disposition, and was honest and upright in his dealings. (x177)

[PHOTO] Davies, Ph. D., Rev. Peter S. Fourth son of Rev. David Davis, late of Cambria, Minn. Born at a farm called “Bryn Awen” (Brynawen), Cardiganshire, Wales. When a child emigrated with the family to Bloomfield Township, Jackson County, O. At seventeen he began teaching school in winter and attending the acadamies of Pine Grove and Albany and Ohio University at Athens, O. In 1857 entered the classical course at Marrietta College and graduated A. B. in 1861, taking fourth honor in the class, and was one of the four chosen members of the Phi-Beta-Kappa Society. Graduated in 1864 from Lane Theological Seminary, Ohio, and became pastor of the “South Side” Presbyterian church of Pittsburgh, Pa., where he was ordained the same year by the Pittsburgh, Prebytery (N.S.). During his pastorate of eight years the church became self-sustaining and built a house of worship costing $40,000. During this time he was an active member of “Board of Missions for Freedmen” from its organization until he left Pittsburg. His next pastorate, which also lasted eight years, was over the Presbyterian church of Pomeroy, O. He and his estimable wife took an active part in the “Ohio Temperance Crusade” of that period, his wife being the leader of the crusade in Pomeroy, while he frequently lectured in the streets and also edited and published at his own expense a temperance paper called “The Shining Light.” This was during the period when the W. C. T. U. was born. In 1880 he resigned his Pomeroy church to take charge of a weak mission in Midland City, Mich. Of his work there we quote:
“The five years which Mr. Davies has spent in Midland have been marked by great progress in the Presbyterian church. For some years previous to October, 1880, the church had had no pastor. The building had been destroyed by fire and no definite steps had been taken toward rebuilding. The number of members eas twenty-eight, and said it was a missionary church. Now it is self-sustaining and with a membership of 150. In 1883 a handsome brick church was erected at a cost of about $6,000, and was paid for before dedication, except a small debt upon the furniture. For two years previous to the completion of the building, wervices were held in the Beardsley Hall most of the time, a portion of the time in the Stranahan building. While connected with the Midland chirch, Mr. Davies has done a good deal of work outside, having organized five churches in neighboring towns and counties, the last of which was at Coleman, as recently mentioned in this paper. - Midland Republican.
In 1886, to obtain a change of climate for his failing health, Mr. Davies accepted the position of Presbyterial missionary to the Aberdeen Presbytery, Dakota, and in two years he helped to organize fifteen new Presbyterian churches. He then supported Groton church for a time and was secretary of trustees of Groton college during his stay. He next became pastor of the Presbyterian church of Missouri Valley, Ia., where during his stay of three and a half years, the church doubled its membership, became self-sustaining and made extensive repairs on its house of worship. After a short time at Menlo, Ia., he accepted a call to Mandan, N. D., in the summer of 1894. In 1889 he received the degree of Ph. D. from Bellvue College of the University of Omaha. He married Miss Melinda E. Williams, of Cincinnati, O., in 1866. (x177)

[PHOTO] Davies, Rev. Richard Born at Llanwaddelan (Llanwyddelan), Llanullugan (sic; = Llanllugan) parish, Montgomeryshire, Wales, January 1st, 1804. His parents were named Richard and Mary Davies. Married, in Montgomeryshire in 1835, Miss Jane Herbert, sister of the late Owen Herbert, of Blue Earth County. Emigrated to Jackson County, O., in the spring of 1837. There he began preaching in 1840 with the Calvanistic Methodist churches. In April, 1842, he went on a trip through Wisconsin to inspect that then new county. He reached Racine about June 1, and finding a few Welsh families located on farms about 4 or 5 miles south of the village, he preached to them and about the last of June or first of July he organized fifteen of these people into a church and then returned to his home in Ohio. In the fall of 1843 he removed to Racine, Wis., where he lived until 1852, when he went to La Crosse, Wis. He was ordained April 16, 1854, at Racine, Wis., by a Congregational council. In July, 1855, he came to South Bend, Minn., and there on August 1, 1855, organized a Union church, in which he ministered for some time. June 24, 1856, he organized Saron church of Le Sueur county. July 2, 1856, he also organized the Calvanistic Methodist church of Horeb, in the present town of Cambria, Minn. In October of this year, while he was away at La Crosse on a business visit, his house at South Bend was burned, and his wife in attempting to save a few things perished in the flames. He had just started a mill at South Bend at this time, but this sad catastrophe so completely upset him and, added to his rather poor business ability, caused his business venture to fail, and the financial embarrassments that followed harrassed him thereafter for many years. In the spring of 1858 he married Miss Elen Williams, of Milwaukee, Wis., and moved his residence to Sharon, Le Sueur County, where he remained until the summer of 1862, when he located on a claim in the Crow River country. The Indian outbreak soon followed and he and his wife fled back to LeSueur County and abandoned their claim forever. Mr. Davies had a very narrow escape from the savages at this time. After the first scare he with a few neighbors ventured back to their homes, from Henderson, whence they had fled, to look after their stock and to gather provisions for the winter. Suddenly one morning a band of Indians made a raid upon them and killed a number of Mr. Davies' nearest neighbors and made hot pursuit after him, but in passing over a ridge he got out of their sight for a few moments and improved these in hiding in a slough, where he lay until dark and then made his way to Henderson. As soon as the Indian trouble was over he located on a farm near Blue Earth City (sic) and in 1874 moved to Mankato, where July 24, 1887, he died at a good age, leaving him surviving his devoted wife. During most of his ministerial career he was in the employ of the Home Missionary Society of the Congregational and Presbyterian churches. He also ministered for the Calvanistic Methodists for some time. He preached the first Welsh sermon in Minnesota and probably west of the Mississippi. It was claimed that he also preached the first Welsh sermon in Wisconsin and Illinois. The many flourishing churches which he organized attest that the labours of this worthy pioneer of pioneers were not in vain in the Lord. (x178)

[PHOTO] Davis, Thomas Y. Born at Rhyd-y-Fydde (Rhydyfuddai? ford of the milk churn), Llanarth (Llannarth), Cardiganshire, January 21st, 1830. When about ten years old moved to Tredegar, Glanmorganshire (sic), whence he emigrated to America, landing in New York June 18th, 1851. Settled first at Wheeling, W. Va., then at Pomeroy, O., and from there in April, 1855, he came to Blue Earth County, Minn., being one of the first eight Welsh settlers in the present town of Judson. After residing a short time on his claim in Judson he removed to the present town of Cambria. During the Indian massacre of 1862 he went to the defense of New Ulm and there joined Capt. Bierbauer's company and took part in the last battle. He was also a member of all the militia companies of his town during those days of Indian terror. April 25th, 1865, he was married to Miss Mary Davis, daughter of Rev. David Davis. His wife died March 3d, 1871. On August 26th, 1879, he married again, his second wife being Miss Margaret Barrett. In the spring of 1889 he sold his farm in Cambria and removed to Mankato, where he still resides. He has but one child, Mrs. Mary Y. Dackins, wife of John F. Dackins, of Mankato, Minn. (x179)

[PHOTO] Davis, William Born May 3rd, 1847, at Glan Llyn Penmon (Glan-llyn, Penmon) Anglesea, Wales. He was the son of John and Jane Davis. Worked at carprenter trade in Liverpool and Manchester for four yearrs, thence emigrated to America in spring of 1868, locating for one year at Chicago. Thence came to Winona, Minn., where he was employed in the Chicago and Northwestern railway shops for four years. At Winona he learned photography, and in April, 1874, came to Mankato and opened a photographer's gallery, which he has conducted very succesfully up to the present time. September, 1869, married Miss Ann Pritchard, of Lake Emily, Wis. They have been blessed with three children, Mary J., now Mrs. M. H. Perry, of St. Peter, Llewelyn and Charlotte. (x180)

[PHOTO] Davis, W. C. (No entry. Appears in a photo captioned “Welsh Business Men of Lake Crystal, Minnesota”)

[PHOTO] Davis, Sr., William W. Born at Rhiwlas, Llanfihangel (= Llanfihangel yng Ngwynfa), Montgomeryshire, Wales, January 23rd, 1829. His parents were William and Alice Davis. His ancestors on his father's side had resided at Rhiwlas over 400 years. He was one of nine children, all of who with his parents emigrated to Racine, Wis., in 1848. He married Ellen, daughter of John and Elizabeth Baxter at Racine May 9th, 1848, and on April 21st, 1858, removed to South Bend, Minn., where he engaged in the mercantile business. Removed to Mankato about 1865 and was in business ever since. He has also been postmaster for a number of years. He was one of the charter members and first deacons of South Bend Congregational church and for many years superintendent of its Sabbath school. Has been a prominent singer and was a member of the famous Cambrian quartette (sic). (x180)

[PHOTO] Davis, Jr., William W. Born at South Bend, Minn., May 13th, 1862. Son of W. W. Davis of that place. Educated at the Mankato public schools. For the past ten years has been bookkeeper for the R. D. Hubbard Milling Company. He is also director and treasurer of the Mankato Savings Bank. For the past eight years has been an elder in the First Presbyterian church of Mankato. June 28th, 1893, he married Emma H., daughter of Hon. L. G. M. Fletcher, of Mankato. Faithful and honest, Mr. Davis has won high regard in business and religious circles. (x181)




Geirfa Lakota (Dakota)-Cymraeg-Saesneg
Lakota (Dakota)-Welsh-English vocabulary

Rhestr o gynnw˙s y ll˙fr 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota...'
List of the contents of 'The History of the Welsh in Minnesota...' 
Ein mynegai i'r ll˙fr (heb ei orffen)
Our index to the book (incomplete)
ychwanegiadau diweddaraf o 'Hanes y Cymr˙ ym Minnesota...'
latest additions from the 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota
ein rhestr o'r enwau yn 'Hanes y Cymr˙ ym Minnesota...' (heb ei orffen)
our list of the names which appear in the 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota...' (incomplete)
y Cymr˙ yn erb˙n y Sioux a'r Winnebagos - gwrthryfel 1862
the Welsh against the Sioux and the Winnebagoes - the 1862 uprising
mynegai i'r h˙n s˙dd genn˙m yn y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
index to the pages in the "Wales-Catalonia" website
adrannau'r Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
siteplan - list of sections in the "Wales-Catalonia" website
cyntedd croeso y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
the reception area of the "Wales-Catalonia" website
tudalen blaen y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
front page of the 'Wales-Catalonia' Website


Edrychwch ar ein Ll˙fr Ymwelw˙r!
View our Visitors' Book!
1853e kimkat1853e
Hoffech chi lofnodi ein Ll˙fr Ymwelw˙r?
Would you like to sign our Visitors' Book?
1853e kimkat1853e

Ble'r wyf i? Yr ych chi'n ymwéld ag un o dudalennau'r Gwefan "CYMRU-CATALONIA"
On sóc?
Esteu visitant una pŕgina de la Web "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Gal·les-Catalunya)
Where am I?
You are visiting a page from the "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Wales-Catalonia) Website

Adolygiad diweddaraf / Latest update: 25 09 2001

Free Hit Counters




Search Engine List ·· (see: John Thomas Baxter)·· (see: Mrs Alice Blossom)·· Blythin (see: C. J. Blythin)·· (see: Evan Bowen)·· (see: Mrs Jane Bowen)·· Thomas Bowen (see: Thomas E. Bowen)·· Daniel Bowen (see: Daniel T. Bowen)·· Richard Bumford (see: Richard R. Bumford)·· (see: Isaac Cheshire)·· (see: David Dackins)·· Daniel (see: R. E. Daniel)·· Daniel (see: T. R. Daniel)·· Charles Davis (see: Charles E. Davis)·· (see: Cushman Kellogg Davis)·· Charles Davies (see: Charles W. Davies)·· Daniel Davies (see: Daniel T. Davies)·· (see: David Davies)·· David Davies (see: David J. Davies)·· David Davis (see: David J. Davis)·· David Davies (see: David P. Davies)·· David Davies (see: David S. Davies)·· David Davis (see: David T. Davis)·· David Davis (see: David Y. Davis)·· Edward Davis (see: Edward J. Davis)·· (see: Evan Davis)·· Evan Davis (see: Evan J. Davis)·· John Davies (see: John E. Davies)·· John Davis (see: John I. Davis)·· John Davis (see: John P. Davis)·· John Davies (see: John S. Davies)·· Davis (see: L. Davis)·· (see: Lewis Davis)·· (see: Owen Davis)·· (see: Peter S. Davies)·· (see: Richard Davis)·· (see: Thomas Y. Davis)·· (see: William Davis)·· Davis (see: W. C. Davis)·· William Davis (see: William W. Davis)·· William Davis (see: William W. Davis)·· (see: Daniel Edwards)·· (see: David Edwards)·· (see: Hugh Edwards)·· (see: Hugh H. Edwards)·· (see: James Edwards)·· (see: John Edwards)·· (see: William Edwards)·· William Edwards (see: William R. Edwards)·· Ellis Ellis (see: Ellis E. Ellis)·· (see: Daniel Morris Evans)·· David Evans (see: David C. Evans)·· (see: David Edward Evans)·· David Evans (see: David H. Evans)·· David Evans (see: David H. Evans)·· David Evans (see: David M. Evans)·· David Evans (see: David S. Evans)·· (see: Edward Evans)·· Edward Evans (see: Edward S. Evans)·· Ephraim Evans (see: Ephraim D. Evans)·· (see: Evan Evans)·· Evan Evans (see: Evan H. Evans)·· Griffith Evans (see: Griffith A. Evans)·· (see: Hugh Evans)·· (see: Joshua Thomas Evans)·· John Evans (see: John C. Evans)·· (see: John J. Evans)·· Margaret Evans (see: Margaret J. Evans)·· Mrs Mary Evans (see: Mrs Mary A. Evans)·· Owen Evans (see: Owen J. Evans)·· Robert Evans (see: Robert G. Evans)·· William Evans (see: William E. Evans)·· Evans (see: W. J. Evans)·· (see: James Griffiths)·· John Griffiths (see: John J. Griffiths)·· Daniel Harris (see: Daniel L. Harris)·· David Harris (see: David L. Harris)·· (see: William Harris)·· David Howell (see: David R. Howell)·· Robert Howell (see: Robert R. Howell)·· (see: Byron Hughes)·· (see: David Hughes)·· (see: Evan Hughes)·· (see: Henry Hughes)·· Hugh Hughes (see: Hugh D. Hughes)·· (see: Jennie Hughes)·· (see: Richard Hughes)·· Robert Hughes (see: Robert E. Hughes)·· Robert Hughes (see: Robert H. Hughes)·· Robert Hughes (see: Robert W. Hughes)·· (see: Thomas Hughes)·· (see: Thomas Hughes)·· Thomas Hughes (see: Thomas E. Hughes)·· Thomas R Hughes (see: Thomas R Hughes)·· William Hughes (see: William R. Hughes)·· William Hughes (see: William F. Hughes)·· William Hughes (see: William S. Hughes)·· (see: Richard Isaac)·· James James (see: James A. James)·· John James (see: John E. James)·· Edward Jenkins (see: Edward F. Jenkins)·· (see: Jenkin Jenkins)·· Jenkins (see: W. Jenkins)·· William Jenkins (see: William E. Jenkins)·· MrWilliam Jenkins (see: Mrs. William E. Jenkins)·· (see: David Jones)·· David Jones (see: David C. Jones)·· David Jones (see: David D. Jones)·· David Jones (see: David E. Jones)·· David Jones (see: David F. Jones)·· David Jones (see: David J. Jones)·· David Jones (see: David K. Jones)·· David Jones (see: David M. Jones)·· (see: Edward Jones)·· (see: Edward Jones)·· Edward Jones (see: Edward R. Jones)·· (see: Mrs. Ellen Jones)·· (see: Evan Jones)·· Evan Jones (see: Evan D. Jones)·· Evan Jones (see: Evan H. Jones)·· Evan Jones (see: Evan T. Jones)·· (see: Humphrey Jones)·· (see: Humphrey Jones)·· Humphrey Jones (see: Humphrey H. Jones)·· Hugh Jones (see: Hugh G. Jones)·· Hugh Jones (see: Hugh H. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John A. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John A. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John C. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John C. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John E. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John I. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John J. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John N. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John P. Jones)·· John Jones (see: John R. Jones)·· Lewis Jones (see: Lewis P. Jones)·· (see: Mrs. Margaret Jones)·· (see: Richard Jones)·· (see: Mrs. Richard Jones)·· Richard Jones (see: Richard F. Jones)·· Richard Jones (see: Richard G. Jones)·· (see: Richard W. Jones)·· (see: Thomas Gryffydd Jones)·· Thomas Jones (see: Thomas O. Jones)·· (see: Thomas Wynne Jones)·· (see: William Jones)·· William Jones (see: William A. Jones)·· William Jones (see: William E. Jones)·· William Jones (see: William H. Jones)·· William Jones (see: William J. Jones)·· William Machno Jones (see: William Machno Jones)·· William Jones (see: William P. Jones)·· William Jones (see: William R. Jones)·· V.Jones (see: V.D. Jones)·· (see: William Jones)·· (see: Edward Joseph)·· Griffith Lewis (see: Griffith J. Lewis)·· James Lewis (see: James W. Lewis)·· Lewis Lewis (see: Lewis D. Lewis)·· (see: Lewis Lewis)·· Lewis Lewis (see: Lewis J. Lewis)·· (see: Morris Lewis)·· (see: Richard Lewis)·· (see: Thomas Henry Lewis)·· William Lewis (see: William P. Lewis)·· William Lewis (see: William R. Lewis)·· William Lewis (see: William T. Lewis)·· (see: David Lloyd)·· (see: Evan Lloyd)·· (see: Jabez Lloyd)·· (see: Job Lloyd)·· (see: John Lloyd)·· (see: Peter Lloyd)·· (see: Griffith Meredith)·· John W Morgan (see: John W Morgan)·· Evan Morris (see: Evan R. Morris)·· Hugh Morris (see: Hugh H. Morris)·· (see: Owen Morris)·· (see: Owen Morris)·· (see: Owen R. Morris)·· (see: John Morris)·· (see: John Moses)·· Daniel Owens (see: Daniel T. Owens)·· John Owens (see: John J. Owens)·· John Owens (see: John L. Owens)·· (see: John Philip Owens)·· John Owens (see: John R. Owens)·· Robert Owens (see: Robert J. Owens)·· (see: Thomas Owens)·· Owens (see: W. Owens)·· (see: Evan Parry)·· Henry Parry (see: Henry I. Parry)·· John Parry (see: John H. Parry)·· (see: Philip Peregrine)·· (see: William Powell)·· (see: David Price)·· James Price (see: James D. Price)·· (see: John Price)·· (see: Rowland W. Price)·· Robert Pritchard (see: Robert D. Pritchard)·· Arthur Pritchard (see: Arthur T. Pritchard)·· (see: Owen Pritchard)·· Robert Pryce (see: Robert S. Pryce)·· (see: James Morgan)·· (see: David Pugh)·· Pugh (see: T. M. Pugh)·· (see: John Rees)·· (see: John Rees)·· Rees (see: T. Rees)·· (see: Timothy Reese)·· (see: Thomas Rees)·· (see: William Rees)·· John Richards (see: John B. Richards)·· Owen Richards (see: Owen E. Richards)·· Thomas Richards (see: Thomas J. Richards)·· (see: Mrs. Amy Roberts)·· (see: Griffith Roberts)·· (see: Griffith Roberts)·· Harlan Roberts (see: Harlan P. Roberts)·· Hugh Roberts (see: Hugh G. Roberts)·· Humphrey Roberts (see: Humphrey J. Roberts)·· Humphrey Roberts (see: Humphrey O. Roberts)·· John Roberts (see: John G. Roberts)·· (see: Joseph Roberts)·· John Roberts (see: John R. Roberts)·· (see: John W. Roberts)·· (see: Owen Roberts)·· (see: Richard Roberts)·· (see: Robert Roberts)·· Roberts (see: R. C. Roberts)·· Robert Roberts (see: Robert G. Roberts)·· Robert and Grace Roberts (see: Robert W. Roberts)·· (see: Mrs. Grace Roberts)·· (see: William Roberts)·· (see: William H. Roberts)·· EdwiRowlands (see: J. Edwin Rowlands)·· Henry Rowlands (see: Henry C. Rowlands)·· Daniel Rowlands (see: Daniel T. Rowlands)·· (see: John Shields)·· (see: William Theophilus)·· (see: David Owen Thomas)·· (see: Edward Thomas)·· (see: Edward Thomas)·· James Thomas (see: James P. Thomas)·· (see: John Thomas)·· John Thomas (see: John D. Thomas)·· John Thomas (see: John R. Thomas)·· John Thomas (see: John R. Thomas)·· John Thomas (see: John W. Thomas)·· Owen Thomas (see: Owen E. Thomas)·· Richard Thomas (see: Richard J. Thomas)·· (see: Thomas Thomas)·· Thomas Thomas (see: Thomas P. Thomas)·· (see: David Walters)·· (see: John Walters)·· (see: Stephen Walters)·· (see: Joshua Wigley)·· (see: Richard Wigley)·· (see: Clara Williams)·· (see: Cornelius Williams)·· (see: Daniel Williams)·· David Williams (see: David J. Williams)·· David Williams (see: David J. Williams)·· Ebenezer Williams (see: Ebenezer B. Williams)·· (see: Evan Williams)·· (see: Griffith Williams)·· Hugh Williams (see: Hugh W. Williams)·· (see: John Williams)·· (see: John Williams)·· John Williams (see: John D. Williams)·· (see: John Fletcher Williams)·· John R.Williams (see: John R.Williams)·· John Williams (see: John T. Williams)·· John Williams (see: John W. Williams)·· John Williams (see: John W. Williams)·· Owen Williams (see: Owen E. Williams)·· Williams (see: R. W. Williams)·· Thomas Williams (see: Thomas D. Williams)·· (see: Ulysses Grant Williams)·· (see: William Williams)·· William Williams (see: William E. Williams)·· William Williams (see: William H. Williams)·· William Williams (see: William J. Williams)·· William Williams (see: William W. Williams)·· (see: Isaac Woods)··

Section omitted. In Welsh spelling, 'y' can be either a 'schwa' - the neutral vowel to be heard in the first part of the English word 'about', for example, or an 'i' sound, either short as in 'bit' or long as in 'beat', depending on the word . In the versions of names between braces, we have marked the 'y' pronounced as [i] with an umlaut (y). Examples are Glanconwy, Rhandir-mwyn, Bryngwran. This is not a standard Welsh spelling - but in materials for learners of Welsh it is usual to use some special letter to indicate this pronunciation to aid learners. The 'real' spelling therefore is without the umlaut - Glanconwy, Rhandir-mwyn, Bryngwran.