0001 Y Tudalen Blaen / Home Page kimkat0001
....................2659e Y Porth Saesneg / English Gateway kimkat2659e
........................................2003e Y Barthlen / Plan of the website kimkat2003e
............................................................1804e Y Cymry Alltud / The Welsh in exile kimkat1804e
..........................................................................................··1927e Cyfeirddalen i Adran Gwladfa’r Glasbridd / Orientation page for the Welsh Blue Earth Settlement, Minnesota kimkat1927e
.........................................................................................................................y tudalen hwn / this page
Biographies (Part 3) James - Joseph
A list of short biographies from "The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and
Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Editors:
Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes.
Published in 1895.
Back to Section 1 of the Biographies
Back to Section 2 of the Biographies
This page you are looking at is Section 3 of the
Forward to Section 4 of the Biographies
Forward to Section 5 of the Biographies
(1) Some entries were out of sequence in the book, and some appeared in an appendix. Here they are all together and they appear in the right order. The page on which the beginning of the entry is to be found ijn the original book is indicated here at the end of the entry.
(2) Our comments within the text appear in brackets in orange type - for example, the correct spellings of place names - Bank Flosfelen (sic = Bancffosfelen)
(3) To this list of biographies also we have added the names of people appearing in photographs in the volume. In some cases there is no biography for an individual in a photograph.
(4) Usually the photo is a portrait. Sometimes though the individual is in a group photograph. In a few instances the portrait is an engraving. At some future date we hope to put these photos online.
(5) There might be the occasional typing mistake - I’ll correct these errors as I come across them.
(6) There are more names at 0856e (some names which appear in other sections of the book do not appear in the biographies section)
[PHOTO] James, James A. Born in Wales, in December 1837. His father died when he was a child. About 1849 he emigrated to Paris, Portage Co., Ohio, and from there came to Henderson, Minn., in the spring of 1857, but in 1858 he returned to Ohio, where he married Miss Emerett L. Hine on January 2nd, 1862. Was in the mechanical service of the government during the last year of the civil war. In the spring of 1866 he came to Mankato, Minn., where he resided with his family until September, 1889, when he moved to Seattle, Wash., where he now resides. While at Mankato he followed the occupation of contractor and builder during the first few years. He served the city a number of years on its school board and city council. Three times he was elected to the Minnesota Legislature, - 1885 to 1887. He was chief grain inspector of Minnesota under three governors - viz: Gov's. Hubbard in 1885, McGill in 1886 and Merriam in 1887. He is a man of pleasing presence and address and much more than ordinary ability. His fine sagacity and foresight, his persevering will and energy and splendid management of men and things have always made him a success in business and politics. (x208)
[PHOTO] James, John E. Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, December 30th, 1852. His parents, John and Winifred James, his sister Kate (now Mrs. Wm. G. Davies, Milwaukee,) and brother Wiiliam, (for several years past foreign freight agent of New York Central & Hudson River R. R., New York City) left Wales and landed at Boston, Massachussets. William, (for several years past foreign freight agent of New York Central & Hudson River R.R., New York City) left Wales and landed at Boston, Mass., in the summer of 1847. Their steamship intended to make the port of New York City but went on the rocks of Nantucket Shoals in a fog and was compelled to make the port of Boston in an almost sinking condition. The family immediately started for the territory of Wisconsin, travelling by rail from Boston to Albany, N. Y., thence by canal to Buffalo, N. Y., and by boat from Buffalo to Milwaukee. There were no railroads in Wisconsin at that time, and none west of Buffalo, N. Y. The subject of this sketch received a public school education at Milwaukee and began his railroad career in 1870, as passenger train earning clerk in the auditor's office of the Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway at Milwaukee. From 1872 to 1975 he was statistical clerk of the auditing department of the West Wisconsin Railway (now the eastern division C. St. P. M. & O. Ry.) at Hudson, Wis. From 1875 to 1880 he was assistant compiler of the passenger earning of the Chicago and North-Western Railway system at Chicago, Ill. From 1880 to 1885 he was contracting agent of the Red Line Fast Freight at Minneapolis, Minn. From 1885 to 1892 he was agent of Red Line Transit Co., for St. Paul and the country as far west as the Pacific Coast. Since 1892 he has been the North-western agent of the Lake Shore and Lehigh Valley Route and North-Western freight agent of the lake Shore and Michigan Southern Ry. at St. Paul and Minneaopolis and the territory west to the Pacific Coast. (x208)
[PHOTO] Jenkins, Edward F. (No entry. Appears in a photo captioned "Welsh Business Men of Lake Crystal, Minnesota")
[PHOTO] Jenkins, Rev. Jenkin (and [PHOTO] wife)· (Shenkin Ddwywaith) (= Shencyn Ddwywaith) - Born at Tirfordfawr (??), Llangefalach (Llangyfelach), Glanmorganshire (sic), Wales, July 29th, 1803. At the age of 14 he joimed the Congregational church of Mynydd Bach (Mynydd-bach) near Swansea. His thirst for knowledfe was great from childhood, but the means to gratify it were meager in those days. He attended the parish school and then studied for a time under a Congregational minister, named Rev. John Evans, at Crwys (Crwys), near Swansea. He then attended a grammar school at Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin), conducted by Rev. David Peters. January 5th, 1825, he was licenced to preach by a Congregational association near Swansea and went on a preaching circuit through most of S. Wales. On September 12th, 1830, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of Christmas and Catherine Davies, of Berthlwyd (Berth-lwyd), parish of Loncher (sic: = Casllwchwr, Englished as Loughor), Glanmorganshire (sic: = Glamorganshire, Welsh name = Sir Forgannwg). In July 1832 he emigrated from Crwys (Crwys) to New York City, where, in November of the same year, he was ordained pastor of the Welsh Congregational church on Milberry street in that city. Hre in 1834 his wife and child died leaving him alone in the world. He continued in his pastorate, however, until May, 1836, when he reesigned to attend Auburn Seminary. October 10th, 1836, he married Miss Ann, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Jenkins, of Bradford, Pa. After leaving the seminary in July, 1837, he took charge of the Congregational church of Clifford, and of the Presbyterian church of Dundaff, Pa., where he continued eight years. After this he had charge successively of the churches of Newark and Granville. Ohio, Dodgeville and Welsh Prairie, Wis., and Big Rock, Ill. From the latter place he removed to Blue Earth county, Minn., in June 1856, and located on a claim in the present town of Cambria, where (he) continued to reside until his death. While on a visit to the settlement in October, 1855, he had organized the present Salem Congregational church of Cambria, and on his arrival in June 1856 he assumed pastoral charge of this church which continued until 1867. In December, 1858 he organized a Congregational church in South Bend village and served it also asa pastor, until 1869, when he retired from active pastoral work, but continued to preach occasionally until his death. In 1872 he published an autobiography which had a wide sale among the Welsh people. Mr.Jenkins had a mind well adapted for theological studyand he was a divine of no mean ability. His sermons generally showed much depth of thought and feeling and his delivery was pleasing and impressive. His eloquence was never noisy but was quite intense and fervid. He was very fond of with and humour and someties the transition from the pathetic to the humorous, the sublime to the ridiculous, might be rather sudden, but usually the funny story only served to draw the attention to some important truth which followed it. Mr. Jenkins died February 5, 1886, and lies buried in Cambria cemetery. His estimable wife followed him November 21, 1892, and now lies beside him. His daughter, Jenette, now Mrs. Jennete Jones, of Mankato, was the first teacher in the town of Judson. His second daughter, Anne, was a graduate of the Mankato schools and was a successful teacher for years. She married Wm. Evans, of Aurora, Ill., and died January 18th, 1883. His son, Phillip, is also a teacher by vocation and with another son, Benjamin, resides on the old homestead in Cambria. (x209)
[PHOTO] Jenkins, W. (No entry. Appears in a photo captioned "Welsh Business Men of Lake Crystal, Minnesota")
Jenkins, William E. Born in 1817 at Cwmavon (Cwmafan), Glanmorganshire, Wales. His parents were Evan and Elizabeth Jenkins. In 1836 he married Miss Elizabeth Griffiths and in 1844 they came to this country, making their home first at Pittsburgh, Pa. During their three years stay at Pittsburgh, he lost his beloved wife and one of their two children. The surviving child, John E. Jenkins, was a soldier in Co. E., 9th Minn., during the late war and now lives in Missouri. In 1847 Mr. Jenkins moved to Fish Creek, Wis., and thence in 1857 to Butternut Valley, Minn. In 1858, he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Evans, Ottawa, Minn. She died January 18th, 1885. Besides this severe blow, Mr. Jenkins also lost one of his sons, Evan Jenkins. About three years ago he retired from his farm to Lake Crystal. He has been a faithful member of the C. M. church all his life. He was elected one of the first elders of Bethel church, and still holds the same important office at the Welsh church in Lake Crystal, and takes an active part in all church work. He has three sons at Lake Crystal: Edward, William and Charles Jenkins, who are successful business men, useful members of the Welsh church, and are highly respected. (x210)
Jenkins, Mrs. William E. Daughter of Edward and Ann Evans, born at Llanrhaiadr-mochnant (Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant), Montgomeryshire, North Wales, in 1829. When she was twenty years of age her parents moved to America, staying for a short time in Ohio. In the spring of 1853 she came to St. Paul and in May, of that year, accompanied her brothers, John C. and Edward S. Evans, to Le Sueur county, being the first Welsh woman in that county. In 1858 she married Wm. E. Jenkins, and they resided on a farm in the present town of Cambria for a few years, removing thence to Butternut Valley, where she died January 18th, 1885. Mrs. Jenkins was a woman of many excellent qualities of mind and heart, and a devoted christian. (x211)
“Lake Crystal, a community made up almost exclusively of people of Welsh descent, is the ‘Jonesville’ of Minnesota. Wherever you go in that town of 1,055 inhabitants you are sure to encounter a Jones...”
“Did They Think We Would Remember? Ordinary Legends: People from Lake Crystal, Minnesota 1900 to 1950”. Author: Maggie Jones. Blueberry Press, 50301 230th Lane, Lake Crystal, MN 56055. (This link added 2005-09-09)
[PHOTO] Jones, David Born at Nant Glynn (Nantglyn) Denbighshire, Wales, March 1824. When he was five years old his parents moved to Cyfylliog (Cyffylliog), in the same shire. In May, 1850, he came to Milwaukee, and stayed during the summer in Waukesha Co. He then went to Galena, Ill., and thence to New Orleans. There he found employment during the winter on a Mississipi steamboat. In the spring of 1851 he went to St. Louis and thence in June again to Galena. There he met one John L. Jones, who induced him to seek his fortune with him in St. Paul, Minn., where they arrived in August 1851. During the summer of 1852 he made three trips up the Minnesota from St. Paul to Ft. Ridgely (sic), the last time going twelve miles beyond Ft. Ridgeley to a place called Red Rock to carry goods to the Yankton Sioux. It was here Mr. Jones witnessed the largest Indian encampment he ever saw. In May, 1853, he went with John C. Evans and John Roberts on a journey from St. Paul up the valley of the Minnesota to the Blue Earth and thence back through the Big Woods to view the land. In 1856 Mr. Jones located on his present claim in the town of Sharon, Le Sueur. April 24th, 1858, he married Miss Rose, daughter of Edward and Ann Evans, late of the town of Sharon. In December, 1876, Mr. Jones was made a member of the C.M. (= Calvinistic Methodist) church of Saron, which office he still holds. An honest, sincere man, he lives in accordance with his christian profession. His children are: Jane, wife of David W. Jones, Anna, Thomas and Mary Jones. (x211)
Jones, David C. Son of E. D. and Mary E. Jones, was born in May, 1854, at Detroit, Mich. After graduating from the high school of Detroit he spent a year at Olivet college, Michigan. Went into railroad life in the fall of 1872 and was with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern for seven years. In 1879 he was made chief clerk of the General Freight department of the Wisconsin Central Ry., at Milwaukee, and in 1884 was made Division Freight Agent of the Northern Iowa lines of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Ry. In 1887 he was made Third Assistant General Freight Agent at Milwaukee, and in 1890 he was transferred to St. Paul and made Assistant General Freight Agent of the Northwestern lines of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Ry. He was married in 1876 to Miss Mary J., daughter of Hon. Thomas D. Roberts, of Floyd, N. Y., and has been living in Minneapolis for the lest five years. (x212)
Jones, Rev. David D. Born in May, 1844, at Bryn Cethru (sic: a misprint for Bryncethin), Glanmorganshire. Son of David and Ann Jones. Coming to the United States he spent a number of years in school at Lane Seminary, Cincinnati, O., and at Union Park Seminary, Chicago, from which latter institution he graduated in 1875. He soon received a call to the pastorate of the Salem Congregational church, of Cambria, Minn., and in September of the same year was ordained at Mankato at a conference of the Congregational churches. April, 1876, married Miss Mary A., daughter of Hon. Robert H. Hughes, of Cambria, Minn., where he located on a large and valuable farm and preached occasionally to the new churches in that vicinity until his death in 1886. He left him surviving his wife and five children, who now reside on the home farm in comfortable circumstances. (x212)
[PHOTO] Jones, David E. (Dewi Cynon) Son of Evan and Winifred Jones. Born September 12, 1856, in Trecynon, Aberdare, Glanmorganshire, Wales. (Dewi Cynon = 'David (of the river) Cynon' - Bardic name made up of Dewi - one of the two Welsh name equivalent ot 'David' - and Cynon, the river in the village of Trecynon, literally 'Cynon-ville'). When but fourteen years old he came to America alone, and settled in Coalburg, Ohio. He followed his occupation as carpenter in various cities in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. In New Mexico he spent some time opening up mines under Ex-Governor Foster of Ohio. He married Miss Jennie, daughter of D: L. Davies, of Bethel settlement, Jackson county, Ohio, at Columbus, in said state in the year 1883, and has had four children, two of whom are living. In the summer of 1884 he removed to Minneapolis with his family and conducted the singing in the Welsh church for a number of years. In 1886 he launched into business for himself as contractor and builder, and was very successful. Owing to his knowledge of building and his business abilities, in 1891 he was offered and accepted the position of Insurance Adjuster and Inspector for the Millers' and Manufacturers' Insurance company of Minneapolis, which position he still holds. His musical career began in his tenth year under the celebrated G. R. Jones (Caradog), and he was one of the leading altos at the Aberdare United Choir when he came to America. At the age of fifteen he was elected precentor and choir leader of the Welsh Congregational church at Coalburg, Ohio, to succeed the well known Mr. J. B. Lodwick. Six months after he took charge of this choir it took the first prize at the Eisteddfod at Youngstown, Ohio, where four well trained choirs competed on Mendelssohn's "The Song of the Lark." In 1876, he was director of the Hayes and Wheeler Glee Club of Cleveland, Ohio, which gained a wide reputation in that campaign. His male chorus from Coalburg and Brookfield, Ohio, was victorious over three choirs at Sharon, Pa., under the adjudication of the immortal Gwilym Gwent (Gwilym Gwent), who was profuse in his praise of it. In the Eisteddfod at Lima, Ohio, in 1884, his male party was the best of seven and received well-merited commendation from all. Since his coming to Minneapolis he has led choirs at Eisteddfodau there and at Mankato, Chicago and other places with marked success, and the Welsh church there has given several concerts and cantatas under his direction. He is a good vocalist and has taken several prizes in Eisteddfodau for singing bass solos. In 1887 Mr. Jones took charge of the music at the Fifth Avenue Congregational church, Minneapolis, and still has charge of it. In November, 1891, at the Eisteddfod at Mankato, Minn., in the Gorsedd proceedings, the musical and bardic nom de plume Dewi Cynon, was duly conferred upon him in conformity with the traditional and ordained rites and ceremonies. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and a Patriarch's Militant, and is a thirty-second degree Mason and a Knight Templar, and is also a member of the ancient Arabic order, "Nobles of the Mystic Shrine." (x212)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. David F. Born October 21st, 1825. His parents were Richard and Sarah Jones, Llanbedr, Merionethshire, Wales. His mother was a sister to the eminent preachers, the Rev's. Foulk Evans, Machynlleth, and Robert Evans, Llanuwchlyn (Llanuwchllyn), near Bala, and daughter of Rev. Evan Foulk, Llanuwchlyn (Llanuwchllyn). Mr. Jones has two brothers who are ministers in the Calvinistic Methodist church, viz: the Rev. Evan F. Jones, of Glan Conway (Glanconwy), North Wales, and the Rev. R. F. Jones, of Oshkosh, Wis. When Mr. Jones was a child of eight years he removed with his parents to Trefriw. When a young man he learned the blacksmith trade at Carnedda (Carneddau - farm name?) and Llangefnyw (sic: = Llangernyw); and at the last named place he united with the Wesleyan church. From Trefriw he emigrated to America in 1849. Shortly before leaving his native country he was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Hughes, who now in her widowhood resides in the city of Mankato. He lived at Holland Patent, N. Y., and at Utica for about fifteen years and then removed to Cambria, Wis., and again from there to Bangor, near La Crosse. For a short time he resided at Big Creek and at Cataract, Wis., engaged in farming. He was chosen deacon of the Utica, (N.Y.) church, and served in that capacity faithfully until called by his Master to a higher office, that of the ministry, at Bangor, Wis., in 1868. He was ordained to the full work of the ministry by the Wisconsin Synod in 1876. In 1879 he received and accepted a call to become pastor of Saron and Elim churches, in Le Sueur county, Minn., where he continued to labor with acceptance and success until his death, which occurred April 7, 1884. His remains were laid to rest near the church where he labored for so many years. He left survivng him six children, viz: Sarah E., now Mrs. O. E. Richards, Mankato; John F., Wm. F., and Richard F., all of Mankato; David F., attorney at law, Sparta, Wis., and Jennie E., now Mrs. John Hughes, of Ottawa, Le Sueur county, Minn. (x214)
Jones, David J. Born in Jefferson township, Jackson county, O., (= Ohio), September 18, 1850. His parents, Thos. J. and Elizabeth Jones (Cooper), emigrated from Cardiganshire, Wales, in 1848. His parents, Thos. J. and Elizabeth Jones (Cooper), emnigrated from Cardiganshire, Wales, in 1848. In 1856, the family came with the Jackson county to Blue Earth county, Minn., and located on a farm at South Bend. The father, who was a very prominent elder of the C. M. church, died June 12, 1870. David married in May, 1873, Miss Mary, daughter of the old C. M. elder, Wm. J. Roberts (Creek), and his wife Anna. In 1892 Mr. and Mrs. Jones retired from their farm to the city of Mankato. They are a very worthy couple and faithful members of the Welsh church. In 1894 Mr Jones formed a partnership with E. D. Jones in the marble business. (x292)
[PHOTO] Jones, David K. Born at Llanwinio, Carmarthenshire, Wales, in 1830. Emigrated to America in 1851 and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio. Worked there as a mechanic in the iron mills for eighteen years and by his thrift and industry became part owner of the works. He was married in 1864 and in 1869 removed with his family to Watertown, Wis., where his wife's folks resided. His connection with the iron works in Cincinnati continued for some time after this. In 1881 he removed to Lime Springs, Ia. Here about 1888 he engaged in the furniture business, with which he is still connected., having built up a very large busniess. He has taken a very active part in the growth of Lime Springs , since he came there, both in temporal and in moral and in religious affairs. He has been mayor of the city one term and member of its city council a number of times. His manly and fearless advocacy of the right on all questions, as a public official and private citizen, have won him the high esteem of his fellow townsmen. He has always been a valiant champion of temperance and other moral reforms and a faithful worker in the Welsh church, of which he has a ruling elder. His genial and happy nature make him a favorite with the young people, over whom he exerts a great influence for good. His only daughter, Anna, is the wife of Rev. J. R. McGlade, the Presbyterian minister of Lansing, Iowa. (x215)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. David M. Is a son of David Jones, Upper Bangor (Bangor Uchaf), North Wales. He was born at Ty Rhedyn (Tyrhedyn), Anglesea, N.W., (= North Wales) in the year 1840. The family removed to Bangor when he was fourteen years of sge. He attended school at Marian Glas (Marian-glas) and Tyngongl (Tyngongl), Anglesea, at Garth school, Bangor, and the Mechanic Institute, Liverpool. He began to preach at Rock Ferry, England. He emigrated to the United States in the year 1866. The first two years here he spent at Columbus, Wis., then removed to Mankato, Minn. In the year 1871, at the Judson association, he was ordained to the full work of the ministry, and accepted a call as pastor and Horeb and Bethel churches, being the first settled pastor of these churches. After years of successful work, he settled at Remsen, N. Y., where he laboured for six years, and then at Floyd in the same state for another peiod of six years. From the latter place he accepted a call to Waukesha, Wis., where he served the churches of Moriah, Soar and Zion for nine years. In the year 1891 he acceopted a call to Fair Haven, Vermont, where he is now in the midst of a successful work. When located at Remsen, N. Y., he was united in marriage to Jemima, daughter of Mr. H. J. Owens. Mr. Jones will be long remembered in Blue Earth county, as a successful organizer of Literary societies, as well as for his ability and originality as a preacher of the gospel. He is a frequent contributor to the Welsh periodicals, and his sprightly wit and genial humor make his writings always readable. He is the Irving of Welsh writers. (x215)
[PHOTO] Jones, Edward Born October 13, 1862, near Aberdovy (Aberdyfi), Merionethshire, Wales. Son of Evan D. and Margaret Jones of Mankato, Minn. His parents emigrated to Le Sueur county, Minn., in April 1869, and thence to Mankato a few months later. Learned telegraphy at the Western Union office at Mankato, and, when eighteen years old, began working for the Milwaukee & St. Paul Ry. Co. (railway company). After a year he entered the employ of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Ry., where he continued for three years. After this, was with the Western Union Co. at St. Paul for one year and at Secora, New Mexico, three years, returning to assume charge of their office at Mankato in the fall of 1888. June 28, 1893, married Miss Lizzie Merrill, of Florence, Ala. (x216)
[PHOTO] Jones, Edward R. Farmer, born at Cardiganshire, Wales, December 29th, 1842. Emigrated with his parents in 1849 to Marquette county, Wis. Januray 20th, 1862, enlisted in Company C., 3rd Wisconsin Cavalry Volunteers, and served until close of the war mostly under Gen. Blunt. In March 1866, he moved to Judson, Minn., where he purchased a fine farm. September 10th, 1873, he married Miss Mary A., daughter of David J. and Sarah Thomas. In 1893 he retired from his farm to Lake Crystal, where he owns a comfortable farm. Is a member of the G.A.R. Post of that place. (x216)
Jones, Mrs. Ellen First wife of Rev. Richard G. Jones, was born at Llanegryn (Llanegryn), Merionethshire, Wales, August, 1807. Her father was Wm. Jones, Bodywyn (??). At the age of 26 she removed to Dyffryn (Dyffryn), where she was inited in marriage to Rev. Richard G. Jones, late of Le Sueur county, (see his biography.) She was a woman of fine christian spirit, who walked worthy of her religious profession. (x216)
[PHOTO] Jones, Evan Born at Tanrallt (Tan-rallt), four miles east of Bangor, Carnarvonshire, Wales, August 17, 1827. Son of John and Elizabeth Jones (Additonal Errata, p. x - read "Robert" instead of "John" as as father of Evan Jones) (Indiana). Emigrated with his parents to Philadelphia in July, 1836, and removed to Cincinnati, O., in November. Thence in the spring of 1837 they moved to Madison, Ind., where his father helped build the first railway west of Madison. In 1840 the family moved twenty-seven miles north into, what was then, a forest wilderness, and purchased 240 acres of government land. In 1848 Evan left home, going first to Paddy's Run, O., and thence to Cincinnati, where he worked seven years in a rolling mill. In 1855 he attended the Baptist University, at Granville, O., for a few months when he visited eastern Kansas and formed the acquaintance of "Old John Brown of Osawatomie". Not liking it there he returned home and in May 1856, removed with his parents to Cottonwood, Brown county, Minn., where about June 1, they located on a farm in Section 24. During the Sioux outbreak of 1862 Evan went to the defense of New Ulm and participated in the battle there. On September 10, of that year his father was killed by the savages in their raid on Butternut Valley, and Evan was chased by them into the sloughs and was out hiding for eleven days without food, except for a few ears of corn and some onions and watermelons he found in the fields at night, and ate raw. In June, 1866, he married Rachel, daughter of Thos. J. Jones, late of Cambria, Minn. In 1878 he sold his Brown county farm and removed to the vicinity of Lake Benton, Lincoln county, and thence after eighteen months he wetn to Murray county, where he purchased his present farm of 252 acres on the banks of Bear Lake, in Lowville township. He has held a number of town offices and has been postmaster at Lowville for many years. Mr.and Mrs. Jones have been blessed with eight children: Elizabeth, Ellen, Mary, Hattie, Alice, Herbert, Dinah and Katie. (x216)
[PHOTO] Jones, Evan D. Son of William and Gwen Jones, of Bodowyn (??), Llanegryn (Llanegryn), Merionethshire, Wales, where he was born September 7, 1834. June 10, 1859, he was married by Rev. Edward Jones, Vicar of Towyn, to Miss Margaret James, second daughter of Richard and Jane James, of Ynyshir (Ynys-hir), Cardiganshire. Emigrated to Le Sueur county, Minn., in April, 1869, and in a short time moved thence to Mankato, Minn., where he still resides, following the occupation of marble cutter, in which he has great proficiency. For a number of years he sang in the Choir of the English Congregational church, of which he and his wife are faithful members. Eight children have been born to them, only two of whom survive: Edward and Robert. (x217)
Jones, Evan H. Born in 1835 at a place called Tanycoed (Tan-y-coed), near Bettws-y-Coed (Betws-y-coed), Carnarvonshire, Wales. His parents, Rev. Hugh Jones and Mrs. Jones, were highly esteemed in the community for their piety and integrity. He thus enjoyed the advantage of religious training and instruction at home by pious parents and iin the church of God. The family came to America in 1845 and settled at Columbus, Wis., where his father ministered many years and was highly respected. After his father's death he and his mother moved to Lime Springs in 1867 where they have been very successful. In the year 1878 he was married to Sidney, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Roberts, of Columbus, Wis. They had three children of whom one died about five years ago. Mr. Jones is a great reader, a patron of Welsh literature, and, because of his intellectual power and force of character, is one of the most prominent and active men among the Welsh of Howard county and vicinity. (x217)
[PHOTO] Jones, Evan T. Born at Tangrallt (probably a mistake for Tan-rallt, from "tan yr allt" = under the wood / hill), Blaenpenial (sic: = Blaenpennal), Cardiganshire, Wales, in July, 1826. Married Miss Elizabeth Ellis, of Handref, May 13th, 1846, and the following June emigrated to Jackson county, Ohio, and thence with the Jackson colony (see 0875 The colony from Jackson, Ohio) to South Bend, Minn., where they arrived May 10th, 1856. After a few weeks he moved to his present farm in Sharon Township, Le Sueur county. There, in partnership with David Lewis and Thos. J. Jones, (cooper,) he built the first saw mill in that neighborhood; which mill, after supplying the pioneers with lumber for over two years, burned in 1859. His wife died June 7th, 1857, and on January 1st, 1860, he married Miss Margaret, daughter of Edward and Ann Evans, of Ottawa, Minn. During the Sioux war of 1862 Mr. Jones was the only Welshman from the Big Woods settlement who went to the defense of New Ulm. He was a corporal in Capt. Saunders Company of Le Sueur Tigers. This company left St. Peter at 11 a. m., of the 20th of August and reached the Red Stone ferry at 11 p.m. It was a very dark and rainy night. Mr. Jones and another man ferried the thirteen teams they had over the Minnesota and on reaching New Ulm they were detailed for picket duty until morning. Thursday they perfected their company organization. Friday, Mr. Jones was detailed with about 140 others to go to Leavenworth to rescue eleven persons that were concealed in some willows. Saturday, he did efficient service at the battle of New Ulm, being stationed at the wind mill. On the 26th, the company disbanded at Mankato and returned home. Mr. Jones has served three years on the town board, six years as county commissioner and fifteen years on the school board. His second wife died December 8th, 1893. He has four children living by hi s first wife, viz: Ellis, of Lake Crystal, Thos. E. and Mary J., of Le Sueur, and David, of Menahga, Wadena county; and six children living by his second wife, viz: Elizabeth, Anna, Jone, Rose, Edward and Phoebe, all of Le Sueur. The oldest Robert died December 31, 1884, aged 22 years. (x218)
[PHOTO] Jones, Humphrey Born at Ty Hen (Ty^-hen), Rhosnegir (sic: = Rhosneigr), Llanfeilog (sic: = Llanfaelog) parish, Anglesea, Wales, May 2nd, 1819. Son of Robert Jones and Catherine Humphreys, (it was the custom then in that part of Wales for the wife to retain her maiden name - her parents were Humphrey Humphreys and Margaret Owens). He left home when quite young to work in the slate quarries of N. Wales and the coal mines of Monmouthshire. At the age of 28 years he emigrated to the United States and worked in the coal mines of Coalport and Pomeroy, Ohio, and Wheeling, W. Va. In April, 1855, he located on the farm he owned until his death in Section 5, of Judson, Minn., being one of the first eight settlers of that town. In September, 1867, he married Mrs. Eleanor Evans, widow of Thos. J. Evans (Creek.) He died May 9th, 1887. He was noted for his industry, whereby he gathered considerable means, and his great integrity of character. In his ways, he was thoroughly original. He always took great interest in religious matters though not a church member until a year or two before his death. Jerusalem church is indebted to his efforts as much as anyone for its present commodious edifice. (x219)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. Humphrey Evangelist. Born at Tre'rddol (Tre'r-ddôl), Cardiganshire, Wales, October 11, 1832. His father was Hugh Jones, Ynys Capel (Ynyscapel), a brother of Rev. Humphrey Jones, a Wesleyan minister, who died suddenly at Beuamaris in 1861. His mother was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Rowlands, Dolclottwr (Dolcletwr). Both parents emigrated to the United States when Humphrey was quite young and he was brought up by an aunt, who was an inn-keeper at Tre'rddol. He received the best education then available in that neighborhood. For a time he attended the school kept by Edward Jones at Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth). He was converted when only twelve years old at Tre'rddol (Tre'r-ddôl), under the ministry of the late Rev. James Jones, and at the age of sixteen years he began preaching. In the fall of 1856 he crossed the ocean to visit his parents, who had located near Oshkosh, Wis. It was a time of revival in many of the American churches and the spirit seized Mr. Jones with much power, and for two years he preached in the Wisconsin churches with great acceptance and organized the Wesleyan church at the Oshkosh Welsh settlement. In June, 1858 he returned to Wales and began a series of revival meetings at his native church in Tre'rddol. Mr. Jones was now in the glory of his strength - a splendid specimen of humanity, physically, mentally and spiritually, and his intense ernestness (sic: = earnestness) and fervid eloquence swept every thing before him and he became a great leader in the mighty revival which took possession of Wales in 1858-9-60. After a few years of evangelical work in Wales he returned in 1871 to Wisconsin, where he had pastoral charge of the Welsh church he had organized near Oshkosh. His brain, however, had been injured by overwork in Wales, and in 1872 he had to be taken to a hospital for treatment. After four years he was discharged and again resumed revival work, spending most of his time in Wisconsin and Minnesota. He was pastor of the Congregational churches of Cambria and South Bend, Minn., from the summer of 1869, to January 1, 1894. Soon after this he suffered a paralytic stroke at Waukesha, Wis., and died May 8, 1895, at Clifford, Wis., at the home of his brother, John Jones. Brilliant, eloquent and fervid he was at his best one of the greatest of recent Welsh evangelists. (x219)
[PHOTO] Jones, Humphrey H. Born at Merthyr Tydfyl (Merthyrtudful 1959k), Glanmorganshire, Wales, in 1839. Son of Humphrey E. and Elenor Jones. Emigrated with his parents to Portage Prairie, Wis., in 1849, and thence removed to Judson, Minn., in the spring of 1865 and engaged in farming. Married Margaret, daughter of John James, of Judson, Minn. He is passionately fond of singing, and has always been a ready and efficient promotor of all musical gatherings. He is generally in demand for quartette and choir singing, and has been the leader of the Cambrian Glee club, a chorus of young men, who have sung nearly all the great Welsh musical festivals of Blue Earth county. Mr. Jones has also made a successful farmer and is comfortably situated. His children are: John, Hugh, Lizzie, wife of Edward Jones, of Tracy, Llewellyn, Caradoc and Gomer. (x220)
Jones, Hugh G. Born at Gaerwen, Anglesea, Wales, February 28, 1845. Son of Hugh and Margaret Jones. Worked one year in quarries at the Festiniog (Ffestiniog), Merionethshire, whence he emigrated in 1866 to Cambria, Wis. Moved in June, 1867, to Lime Springs, Iowa, where he purchased a farm.In March, 1868, married Miss Mary Jones, at Cambria, Wis. Moved in 1872 to Blue Earth City (sic), Minn., thence to Judson, Minn., in 1883. He has always taken an active interest in public affairs and is a prominent member of the Carmel church. He is a frequent contributor to Welsh papers in prose and poetry uner the nom de plume, Carmelyn. He has also taken a lively interest in Welsh literary meetings. He owns a large and valuable farm which he has gained by industry and good management. He has two children: H. Grant James and Miss Mamie A. (x220)
Jones, Hugh H. Born at Tan-y-Coed (Tan-y-coed), August 3rd, 1828, within two miles of Betws-y-Coed (Betws-y-coed), Carnarvonshire, Wales. Son of Rev. Hugh Jones. Emigrated to near Columbus, Wis., in 1845 with his parents. Married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Wm. and Elizabeth Roberts, October 1st, 1859, at Bangor, Wis., where Mr. Jones had been in business two years in a general store with his brother, R. H. Jones. In May, 1860, they removed the store to Mankato, Minn. In the fall of 1862 they returned to Cambria, Wis., where they remained one year. Thence Mr. Jones went to Watertown, where he was for three years in the dry goods business with his brother, Evan H. Jones, now of Lime Springs, Ia. In 1869 Mr. and Mrs. Jones returned again to Mankato where Mr. Jones died October 21, 1885. Their two sons also died there in their early manhood - John in 1886, and William in 1888. Mr. Jones was a man of excellent business abilty and was well informed, especially in scriptural knowledge. He was an elder of the Mankato Presbyterian church. His widow is a worthy member of the Mankato Presbyterian church and has given largely of her means to the support of God's cause. (x221)
[PHOTO] Jones, John A. Born May 15th, 1817, at Llanwren (Llanwrin), Montgomeryshire, Wales. In May, 1842 he emigrated to the United States and the fall of that year located at Emmet, Wis. (and [PHOTO] wife). In February, 1851, he was united in marriage to Miss Hannah Pugh. January, 1885, in compnay with David and Evan J. Lewis he visited Blue Earth county, and located on a claim in the Blue Earth Valley near South Bend village. Returning in March he led a large colony of Welsh people from Emmet to South Bend. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have always been renowned for their generous hospitality. They also took great interst in the religious affairs of the community, and the South Bend Congregational church, which, in great part, indebted to them for its origin and maintenance. For many years Mr. Jones was not a member, but he was just as active and interested as though he were its special patron, in so much that Rev. Jenkin Jenkins, used to call him his "outside deacon". December, 1893, he removed with his wife to National City, Cal., where they now reside. Their sons Richard and Jeremiah reside on the old homestead in South Bend. Another son, John E., is a successful merchant in Washington state. (x221)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. John A. Born at Rheidiol (sic: - the name of the river in Aberystwyth is Rheidol), near Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth), Cardiganshire, Wales, in the spring of 1828. His parents, John and Catherine Jones, removed when he was a child, to a farm called "Nantyrhydd" (Nant-yr-hydd) near Nanteos. This was also the home of Rev. Thomas Edwards, Dr. Lewis Edwards and the eminent Welsh musician "Ieuan Gwyllt" (Ieuan Gwyllt). The influence of the last and of his cousin Evan Roberts begot in young Jones a great love for music. In 1851 he married Miss Anne, daughter of Daniel Davies, leader of song, schoolmaster and land surveyor at Gwynle (??). The young couple emigrated at once to Utica, N. Y., where they were kindly received by Rev. E. Griffiths, Congregational minister. In 1853 they moved to Waukesha, Wis., and for ten years was agent for the American Tract Society of N. Y. In 1857 he visited the Welsh settlement of Blue Earth county, Minn. He commenced preaching in September, 1859 , at the Welsh settlement near Berlin., but went to minister to English congregations. In the fall of 1863 he visited Foreston, Iowa, and preached to the English church there and also at the house of John R. Williams, Filmore county, Minn., to five Welsh families. On his return home to Berlin he received a call from the English Congregational church, of Foreston and removed there with his family in the spring of 1894. He preached in English to the Foreston church every Sunday morning and in Welsh to the few Welsh families at Bristol Minn., in the afternoons. The only Welsh families then in that now populous Welsh settlement were: David J. Davies, Wm. Davies, J. Jones, John R. Williams, Owen Jones, and Richard W. Jones. His next move was to Floranceville, nine miles south of Foreston, where he organized a church of nine members. Before he left the membership increased to fifty and a church edifice was built at a cost of $4,000. He was sent in 1871 by the Home Missionary Society to Nebraska and there organized an English church and helped to found the Welsh settlement of "Gwalia Deg". In 1874 he removed to Salem, Neb., where he labored with great success for six years. In 1880 the Home Missionary Society sent him to California and he ministered two years in Calaveras county, then at South Vallejo and Crockett. In 1881 he visited the Welsh of Oregon City, Oregon, and there preached the first Welsh sermon in that atate. In 1886, at the request of the Home Missionary Society he spent one year at Jennings, La., and organized a Congregational church there with twenty-eight members and built a fine church. In 1887 he removed to Cottonwood, Cal., where he organized a Congregational church for which he still ministers. His has been an eminently sucessful life - as a preacher of the gospel - as an organizer of new churches - as a teacher of music. Mrs. Jones, and all the family, are also fine musicians, and wherever they have been, they have created a musical interest with their singing schools, which have greatly benefited young and old. Their oldest son, Prof. Richard Jones, graduated A.M., from Grinnell College Ia., and Ph.D., from Oxford, England, and Heidelberg, Germany, and now occupies a professor's chair in Swartmore College, near Philadelphia. He recently published an interesting book, entitled, "The Idylls of the King." The second son, William O. Jones, graduated from the Nebraska University and is editor in chief of the "Nebraska State Journal". The third son, David, will soon graduate Ph.D. from Heidelberg, Germany. The two daughters, Eliza and Catherine, have been very successful as teachers in the graded schools and of music, and reside, the former in Iowa and the latter in Nebraska. The youngest daughter, Katie, will soon graduate from the California University. (x223)
[PHOTO] (1) Jones, John C. Born in Montgomeryshire, North Wales, in 1837. Son of John and Margaret Jones (Oshkosh). Emigrated with the family to near Waukesha, Wis., in 1846, and thence in 1850 to near Oshkosh, Wis. From there the family came to Blue Earth county, Minn., in August, 1854, and located on a farm in South Bend. In 1862 he married Rachel, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Morris Lewis, of Cambria, Minn. In 1887 they located on their farm in Cambria. Mr. Jones was a member of a volunteer company during the Inkpadoota war and again during the Sioux war of 1862 and participated in the battle of New Ulm. In 1863 he enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry, serving two years in the Indian campaign. He has held a great many offices in his town and always taken a prominent part in public affiars in his community. He is a man of strong convictions, of sterling integrity and of excellent character and habits. He has one of the largest and most valuable farms in the settlement. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have been blessed with twelve children, viz: Maggie, Mary, Sarah, Esther, William, Morris, Thomas, Emma (deceased), Tudor, Idris, Arthur and Rachel. (x224)
[PHOTO] (2) Jones, Rev. John C. Born at Peithill (??) near Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire, Wales. He received a good biblical training in his youth at Capel Dewi (Capeldewi), a C M. church near his home. The lives of the godly elders of this church made a lasting impression on his mind. He was received into full membership of the church when only ten years old. His mother died about this time, and his father died when he was only fifteen years old, leaving five orphan children. He attended the Penllwyn (Pen-llwyn) Brittish (sic) school for several years, where Prof. John Rhys, Ll. D., and Rev. J. Cynddylan Evans, D. D. , had been pupil teachers. He also attended the National school at Penrhyn Coch (Penrhyn-coch) until fifteen years old. At his father's death he was appointed pupil teacher of the Taliasin (sic: = Taliesin) school. In June, 1872, he accepted a position as government clerk in the Rhyl P.O. In September, 1878, he entered Bala college to study for the ministry, graduating in June, 1882, and in the following October passed the Synodical examinations equal first with another out of a class of twenty-five young ministerial candidates. The following winter he attended lectures at the Liverpool University and had charge of a new English church in the neighborhood of Bootle. During his university career he was appointed missionery (sic) to Khassia Hills, in Assam, India, but, owing to one objectionable condition then required, but since abolished, he resigned and came to the United States, landing in New York, June 24, 1883. After spending a few weeks in Ohio, Wisconsin, Dakota and Minnesota, He located for four months in the Blue Earth county Welsh settlement to teach (the) Tonic Sol Fa system of music in the various churches to the young people. In January, 1884, he accepted a unanimous call to the pastorate of the Mankato, Zion, and Carmel churches, whom he served with great acceptance and success until 1888, when he became pastor of the Minneapolis Welsh church for one year. He returned to his old field in Blue Earth county in February, 1889. In October, 1886, he married Miss Lizzie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Wigley, of Judson, Minn. His beloved wife died in March, 1890. During his stay, the Mankato church built a fine brick edifice and paid for same, Zion and Carmel liquidated large debts they had incurred in building their churches. In February, 1894, he resigned the Blue Earth county churches and took pastoral charge of the C.M. church, of Chicago, where he now labors. Mr. Jones is one of the ablest of the young Welsh ministers of America. (x224)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. John E. Born at Pensengrig (??Peneisingrug), Troed-yr-aur, Cardiganshire, Wales, March 9, 1828. Son of Wm. and Francis Jones. Educated at the grammar school of New Castle Emlyn (Castellnewydd Emlyn) and at the private college at Llanelli, Carmarthenshire. Began teaching at Glyn Arthen (Glynarthen), Cardiganshire, about 1851. In the fall of 1854, while at the college in Llanelli he received a call from the Congregational churches of Belmonte and St. Clair, Pa., which he accepted,. There he was ordained January 7, 1855. July 26, 1855, he married Catherine, daughter of Rees and Mary Williams, of Pottsville, Pa., the noted Welsh minister, Rev. Roderick R. Wiliams, officiating. About 1860 he moved to Lansgord, Pa., thence after two years he went to Minersville, Pa. In the spring of 1865 he paid a visit to his native land. His next change was at Newburg, O., where he remained six years. Thre he contracted hay fever and on his physician's advice removed to near Granville, O., and thenece to Oak Hill. O. In 1876 he went to Andenried and Janesville, Pa., where he labored over six years. Thence he moved to Long Creek, Iowa, where he ministered eight years, thence to Old Man's creek (sic) for four years, and thence, in July, 1894, to Lake Crystal, Minn., to take charge of the Salem Congregational church at Cambria, Minn. Mr. Jones is an able preacher and a most worthy christian and has been eminently successful as a pastor. He has always taken a great interest in the Welsh Eisteddfodau and won many prizes for essays. He has been a frequent contributor to Welsh periodicals. His children are: Mary, wife of John L. Jones, of Lake Crystal, Fannie (deceased) late wife of Edward Jones, Annie, wife of Cyrus Tudor, of Iowa City, Iowa, Kate, wife of Rev. Alexander Jenkins, of Mount Carmel, Pa., Gwen, Evan and John H. (x225)
[PHOTO] Jones, John I. Born at Llwyn Bedw (Llwynbedw), Pen-y-Cae (Pen-y-cae), parish of Llangwyryfon (Llangwyryfon), Cardiganshire, Wales, November 13, 1813. His father's name was Isaac Jones. Like most Welshmen he had strong religious convictions from his youth, and at the age of thirteen years united with the Calvinistic Methodist church. About 1836 he emigrated to Jackson county, Ohio, where in 1838 he married Miss Esther Jones, daughter of Wm. Jones (Cofadail). He was an active worker there in Bethel church and helped to organize its Sunday school and for three years was its superintendent. He was a very strong anti-slavery agitator and an agressive temperance worker. May 10, 1856, he came with the Jackson colony to South Bend, Minn., and located on a claim on Minneopa creek, near Seion church, which church he helped to organize and of which he was made one of the first elders. In 1854-5-6 he was county comissioner of Blue Earth county. About 1872 he removed to Chester, Minn., and there helped to organize a church of which he was elder for two years, when he returned to Blue Earth county, in 1875. In 1884 his wife died. He removed to Tracy in 1886, and there died on January 2, 1887. His children are: Wm. D. Jones, of Tracy, Minn., ane, wife of Rees Davis, of Marshall, David R. Jones in Idaho, Edward F. Jones, station agent of N. W. Ry., at Canton, S. D:, and Lizzie, wife of Wm. Morgan, of Idaho. (x225)
[PHOTO] Jones, John J. Son of John and Elizabeth Jones. Born September 10, 1840, at Tynllwyn (Tyn-llwyn), Merionethshire, N. Wales. Came with his parents to Welsh Prairie, Wis., in 1848. In 1860 he attended school at Portage, where later he entered the dry goods store business with Mr. Forbes for seven years. From there he went to Marquette, Mich., and was with Watson & Palmer for twelve years. In 1884 he came to Minneapolis and opened a business on Franklin and Twelfth avenue south, with R. H. Jones, under the name J. J. Jones & Co., where a large trade was secured from the start. In order to have a building adapted to the stock carried, the Jones block was built in 1886, on Franklin and Fourteenth avenue south, where the store still continues. In 1891, Mr. J. J. Jones became sole owner and carries a well selected stock of foreign and domestic goods and is doing a good business. Mr Jones was brought up in the Calvanistic Methodist church, in which his father, John Jones, Tynllwyn (Tyn-llwyn), was a faithful deacon for many years at Welsh Prairie, Wis., and Bristol Grove, Minn, but having spent years away from any Welsh church he became an active member in the Presbyterian church, and now is a member of the First Presbyterian church at Mineapolis. (x226)
[PHOTO] Jones, Hon. John N. Born at Dinas, Cwm Rhondda, Glanmorganshire (sic), Wales, April 13, 1850. His parents, Thos. and Mary Jones, emigrated to America when he was quite young, and settled at Youngstown, Ohio. On the 8th of June, 1872, at Chestnut Ridge, Ohio, he married Miss Jemima Jenkins, daughter of Edward and Mary Jenkins. He removed to Danville, Ill., in 1873, and represented the state of Illinois at the grand lodge of Foresters at Louisville, Ky., in 1879. In the spring of 1880 he settled at Red Wood, Minn., where he still resides. He was elected a member of the Minnesota legislature in 1886. During President Harrison's administration he was appointed to a clerkship at Washington, but after four months' service resigned to accept a position as special agent of the Interior department. In the fall of 1894 he was agian elected to the legislature by a good majority. He is well posted in all the political issues of the day and is a ready and able public speaker, and during a number of the late ploitical campaigns has been employed to stump the state in the interest of the Republican party, which he has always done with great acceptance. In 1895 he was made deputy labor inspector. (x226)
Jones, John P. Born near Conway (Conwy), Carnarvonshire, Wales in 1809. Son of Henry and Jane Jones, of Rhyw Goch (Rhiw-goch). Married Miss Elizabeth Davies, of Rowen (Ro-wen), same shire. In 1838 (Additonal Errata, p. x - read "1848" instead of "1838")they emigrated to Minersville, Pa., and thence in 1854 to Cambria, Wis., and thence to Judson, Minn., in 1863, where Mr. Jones died December 30, 1889, and Mrs. Jones, January 31, 1893. They were honest, pious people, Mr. Jones being a very zealous and faithful member of the Congregational church, and Mrs. Jones of the C.M. church. Their children are: William, Jane, wife of John Edwards, Henry, Hugh and Thomas. (x227)
[PHOTO] Jones, John R. Born at Stratford, Fulton county, N.Y., April 1, 1844. His father, Richard P. Jones, was a native of Tyddyn-Eugan (Tyddynengan), near Treflys (Treflys), Carnarvonshire, Wales, His mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Williams, was born at Bodaden (??) two miles from the city of Carnarvon. She was related to the distinguished authors and scholars, Wm. Owen (Gwilyn (sic) Hafren) (Gwilym Hafren), John Pugh (Ioan ap Hu Feddyg (Feddyg)), and David W. Pugh. After attending school for a time at Dodgeville (sic), Herkimer county, N.Y., young Jones removed with his parents to Columbus, Wis., in 1856. There he spent three years in the district and village schools, and was apprenticed to Daniel E. Basset, of Danville, Wis., to learn the drug business. During the Rebellion he enlisted in the Forty-first Wisconsin. October 28, 1867, he married at Waupun, Wis., Miss Josie O. Squires, a most estimable lady, formerly from Elmira, N.Y. He served one year as assistant purchaser for the U. P. R. R. Co., at Omaha, Neb., and then returned to his favourite occupation of pharmacy. In 1881 he located at Mankato and started a large drug store. He carried on the drug business at the same time at Burlington, Wis., and Little Rock, Ark., but he soon closed out to concentrate all his business at Mankato, and in a short time he had the largest drug house in Southern Minnesota. He was elected president of the Minnesota State Pharamceutical association in June, 1886. He was public spirited and largely interested in various business corporations at Mankato. July 26, 1889, his beloved wife died and on May 9, 1893, he passed away at Denver, Col., whence he had gone for his health. He was a man of splendid business ability and genuine christian character, greatly loved and esteemed by all. He left surviving two daughters: Edna P. and Esther E. (x227)
[PHOTO] Jones, Sergt. Lewis P. Born January 6, 1830, in Cardiganshire, Wales. Son of Thos. J. Jones, late of Cambria, Minn. In 1836 emigrated with his parents to Jackson county, O., where in 1855 he married Miss Mary Davis. In May, 1856, he came to Minnesota with the Jackson colony, and settled in the Big Woods settlement in LeSeuer county, where his wife soon died. About 1861 he married his present wife and soon after removed to Cambria, Minn. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E. 9th Minnesota, and took part in the battles of Guntown, Tupelo, Holly Springs, Nashville and Mobile. For gallant conduct in the charge on the rebel fortification at Nashville he was promoted from the ranks to be sergeant. He was one of the best and bravest soldiers in the regiment. Since the war he has been engaged in farming, most of the time in Blue Earth county, but for the past three or four years at Bluffton, Otter Tail county, Minn. (x228)
Jones, Mrs. Margaret (Oshkosh). Born at Cefnhir Bach (Cefn-hir Bach), near Llanrhaiadr Mochnant (Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant), Montgomeryshire, Wales, in 1804. There she was married to John D. Jones. In 1846 they emigrated to near Waukesha, Wis., and from there in 1850 to near Oshkosh, Wis. In the spring of 1854 the family moved to Minnesota and for two or three months located in the Welsh settlement of LeSueur county, and in August of the same year moved to a claim by Rush Lake in section 25 of Judson. Here Mr. Jones died in June, 1863, and Mrs. Jones followed him July 8, 1876. They were thrifty, honest, godfearing people. Noble examples of our sturdy Welsh pioneers. They left surviving five children: Thos. J. Jones, South Bend, Minn.; John C. Jones, Cambria, Minn.; Wm. Jones, Makato, Minn.; Mrs. Margaret Jones, of Winchester, S. Dak., and Mrs. Sarah J. Culbertson, of Red Wing, Minn. (x228)
[PHOTO] Jones, Richard Born at Llwyndewi (Llwyndewi), parish of Llan Badern Fawr (Llanbadarn Fawr), near Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth), Cardiganshire, Wales, February 29, 1832. Son of John and Elizabeth (Rees) Jones. Came in 1849 to Licking county, O., and thence to Marquette county, Wis. In February 1886, moved to Judson, Minn. July 13, 1868, married Mrs. Elizabeth Breese, of Cambria, and the same year settled on his present large farm in that town. Through industry and wise management he has acquired considerable property. He is a man of the strictest integrity and kindest impulses. His children are: Gomer, Alice, Dora, Everett, Gwesyn (Gwesyn) and Abbie. (x229)
Jones, Mrs. Richard Born at Newport, Herkimer county, N.Y., September 12, 1840. Daughter of John E. and Dinah Davies, the first settlers of the present town of Cambria. In the summer of 1858 she taught in a log school house on her father's farm, the first school in Cambria. In the summer of 1858she taught in a log schoolhouse on her father's farm, the first school in Cambria. March 16, 1863, she married David Breese, then a soldier in Company E, Ninth Minnesota, and who died in Andersonville prison, September 4, 1864. July 13, 1868, she was joined in marriage to Richard Jones, of Cambria. She is a woman of excellent christian character and a member of Salem Cong. church. (x229)
[PHOTO] Jones, Richard F. Born at Utica, N.Y., August 25, 1857. Removed with parents to Cambria, Wis., when about eight yars old. Lived there about eighteen months and then moved to Bangor, Wis., where they stayed five years. Thence they went to Big Creek, Wis., for five years. Left home about 1874 to learn the trade of carriage ironer at Sparta, Wis. In the summer of 1880 came to Mankato and worked in the carriage shop of H.P. Jensen for one year. He then accepted positions as salesman in the clothing houses of Pond. Bros., and L. Henline, and in 1886 started in the clothing business for himself, buying out McConnell. Married Miss Mary E. Evans, daughter of D. D. and Elenor Evans, of Mankato, February 23, 1887. His wife died Nov. 30, 1892. (x229)
Jones, Rev. Richard F. Born at Llanbedr, Merionethshire, Wales, about 1828. Son of Richard and Sarah Jones, and a brother of the late Rev. D. F. Jones, of Le Sueur county. He emigrated to Utica, N.Y., in 1851, where he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Hugh Jones, of Holland Patent, N.Y. He removed to Constableville, N.Y. where he commenced to preach. He ministered to the following churches successively in New York: Prospect, Trenton, Holland Patent and Sundusky. In 1872, while on a visit to the Welsh settlements of Blue Earth county, he accepted a call to the Seion and Carmel churches, which he served for five years. He then spent a year in Wales preaching with great acceptance. On his return in 1882 he accepted a call to the C.M. church of Scranton, Pa., where he laboured with much success for ten years. While there his beloved wife died. His next move was too his present charge near Randolph, Wis. He is an able preacher, and an excellent christian man. His living children are: Mrs. Sarah Wood, of Mankato; Richard F., of St. Peter; Evan F., of St. Paul; John F., of Mankato; Mrs. Libbie Morgan, of near Randolph, Wis. (x293)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. Richard G. (No entry. Portrait only)
[PHOTO] (1) Jones, Rev. Richard G. Born May 14, 1818, in Dyffryn Ardudwy (Dyffryn Ardudwy), Merionethshire, Wales. Son of John and Gwen Jones (Caegarw). February, 1841, he married Ellen, daughter of William Jones, of Pantgwyn (Pant-gwyn), Llanegryn (Llanegryn), and a month later emigrated to America. After a short stay at Newark, O., they came to Racine, Wis., where they made another short sojourn and removed to Waukesha, where Mr. Jones began preaching. (In the list of portraits as Rev. R. G. Jones (Shakopee)). After four or five years he moved to Blue Mounds, Wis., and while residing here was ordained to the full work of the ministry by the Synod of the C.M. churches, which convened in June, 1850, at Seion church, Welsh Prairie, Wis. In 1860 he moved to Cleveland, Le Sueur county, and was prominent in organizing Elim church. He ministered to the Welsh churches of Le Sueur and Blue Earth counties the balance of his days. His wife died February 14, 1889, and in 1891 he married Miss Miriam, daughter of Richard Rowlands, late of Judson, Minn. Mr. Jones was a great student and very fond of books. His library was worth several thousand dollars, and the largest in the settlement. His integrity was above suspicion and in all his many financial transactions his word was always accepted with the fullest confidence and never betrayed. He was a good financier and by economy, thrift and foresight had accumulated quite a fortune. He died May 19, 1894, leaving him survivng his second wife and five children by his first wife, viz: John G., William, Mary, wife of John C. Evans, Elizabeth J., wife of W. Thomas, and Ellen, wife of Evan Morgan.
[PHOTO] (2) Jones, Rev. Richard G. Born in Earlstown, Lancashire, England, in 1860. His parents are Richard and Susannah (Jones) Griffith, now living in Manchester; his father being an honored deacon in the Welsh Congregational church, Booth street east. Educated first in the national school of Bagillt, Wales, where his parents resided., then at the Grammar school of Holywell, from whence he graduated to enter upon a professional career. He was articled as an architect to the Architectural department of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway in the city of Manchester, remaining with the company for thirteen years. During this time he took advantage of the eveening sessions og the Victoria Unvesity. He was brought early under religious influences and was somewhat actively engaged in church workall his life. He was received into full connection in the old Gartside street Congregational church, of Manchester, by the Rev. Richard Roberts, the first Sunday in May, 1875. Removing to the other side of the city he eunited with the Queen's Road church where his future christian work began to develop. This church being unable to support a minister, all teh male members of the church turned pastors and preachers, and it was here he first exercised his "dawn." He was set apart as a lay preacher in teh Booth street east Congregational church at the age of eighteen, preching in the neighboring churches both in English and Welsh, as a member of the Manchester and Salford Lay Preachers association. In January, 1888, he married Miss M. A. Evans, the daughter of Elijah Evans, of Pont Robert (Pontrobert, Sir Drefaldwyn), now of Milwaukee, and the following April, settled, as an architect, in San Ferancisco. In the fall of 1889 he entered the Pacific Theological Seminary, remaining for two years, supplying occasionally the Welsh churches of San Francisco and Oaklland. In 1890 he entered Union Seminary of Chicago, where he graduated B.D. During his last Seminary year he started the North Side Mission, of the Plymouth church, of Milwaukee, where, under difficulties a church was organized with a membership of twenty-one, which has now grown to be a strong institution. Accepting a call from the Congregational church of Paynesville, Minn., he was ordained Jukly 14, 1891, and served the church for over two years very successfully. He then resigned to accept the Presbyterian churches of Shakopee and Eden Prairie, where he now labors faithfully and efficiently. During his brief stay of eleven months he ha remodeled the church at Eden Prairie and is building a new church at Shakopee. (x231)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. Richard W. Born near the Parish church of Llan Patrick (Llanbadrig), at Setollant (??), Anglesea, Wales, October 9, 1823. His father died when he was but six years old, and when he was ten years old his mother also died. His parents were both godly people and gave their young son an early religious bent. He emigrated to America in 1845, reching New York City on March 13. He located first at Minersville, Pa., where in the fall of 1846 he began his ministerial work with the Calvanistic Methodist church. In July, 1847, he removed to Trenton, Oneida county, N. Y., and at the Gymanfa of the C.M. held at Rome, N. Y., in 1857, Mr. Jones was ordained to the full work of the ministry. In April, 1863, he moved to Judson, Minn., where he preached to the C.M. churches for some years and afterwards to the Welsh Presbyterians during the few years such a church existed in Judson. In 1882 he moved to Miner county, South Dakota, where he now resides and preaches to the Presbyterian churches of the neighborhood. Though having had but few educational advantages he has studied theology well and his sermons show good thought and research. He is a man of strong religious convictions and of much determination and force of character. (x231)
[PHOTO] Jones, D.D., Rev. Thomas Gryffydd (Tavalaw) Born at Penycae (Pen-y-cae), in Ebbw Vale (Glynebwy), Monmouthshire, Wales, January 6, 1832. Son of Rev. Griffith Jones, a Congregational minister, and his wife Hannah, daughter of Thomas Griffiths, puddling master, Pen-y-darren (Penydarren). His father was ordained at Bethel, Victoria, Monmouthshire, and served, besides, the churches of Sardis in Pontypridd (Pont-y-ty-pridd), Elim, in Mynydd Cynffyg (Mynyddcynffig), and Siloam, in Cefn Cribwr (Cefncribwr), and died at the advanced age of 82 at Ash Hall, Cowbridge, Montgomeryshire (sic: the town of Y Bont-faen (Cowbridge in English) isnot in Montgomeryshire in mid-Wales but in the south-east, in the former county of Sir Forgannwg / Glamorgasnshire), at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Daniel Owen, proprietor of the Western Mail. His mother died at Cefen Cribwr (Cefncribwr), aged 77 years. Tavalaw was bright in his studies and received a fair education. He had also inherited from his mother talent for music and won many prizes as a musician and composer at the Eisteddfodau, under the adjucation of Tanymarian (pesudonym of - ?), Ieuan Gwyllt, Ieuan Ddu, Gwilym Gwent (other pseudonyms of musicians) and other great masters of music in Wales. At the age of 20 he began his career as musical adjudicator, in which capacity he has served frequently thereafter. Soon after attaining his majority he became a lecturer on musical subjects and was heard in many of the principal cities of Wales. At the age of 24 he married Miss Rebecca, daughter of Wm, Evans, of Pont-y-pridd (Pont-y-ty-pridd). The following year he became a coal shipper at Cardiff. While there he conceived the idea of compiling and publishing a collection of choral pieces under the title, "Y Drysorfa Gorawl" (The Choral Treasury), which was the fore-runner of all choral work in Wales. In his 26th year his father's church, at Elim, noticing his success as a speaker on musical subjects, invited him to enter the ministry, which he did, commencing at that church. At 30 he became private secretary to Thos. Gee, the well known publisher of Denbigh. Subsequently he became a teacher in Dr. Williams' subsidised school at Holywell. Here he began to publish a musical encyclopedia, which was ahead of the times, and therefore failed of sufficient patronage. He now removed to Aberdare, started a printing office, and on the Sabbaths supplied various churches in the vicinity. December, 1866, he emigrated to America, and February 22, 1867, was ordained pastor of the Cong. church of Saltington, Pa. In 1868-9 he served the church of Summit Hill, Pa. Went to Arvonia, Kansas, in 1870, and bought a farm, and in 1871-2 held a co-pastorate with Dr. Walter Barrows. In 1872-3-4 he occupied the chair of Fine Arts at the State Normal school of Emporia, and in 1874 was elected to the chair of the Classics, but through excessive work as director of the Emporia Choral union, he suddenly lost his voice and had to resign his college position. In 1875-6 he served the Congregational church of Coal Valley, Ill., thence he came to Minnestoa and ministered to the Salem, Goshen and South Bend churches in Blue Earth county for three years, where he received a serious injury by an accidental fall from his buggy, and retired to his Kansas farm to recuperate. Served the church at Morris Run, Pa., in 1888 and the English Presbyterian church at Antrim, Pa., in 1889-90. In 1891 undertook to establish with the publisher, D. O. Evans, "The American Musical Times," but his health again broke down and he retired once more to his farm. Rallying he accepted a call to the church at Bala, Kansas, in 1894. He is a man of much ability as a preacher, poet, musician, essayist and critic. (x232)
[PHOTO] Jones, Thos. O. Born March 3, 1825, at Ty Du (Ty-du), Parish of Llansadwrn, Anglesea, Wales. Son of John and Margaret Jones. Emigrated to Racine, Wis., in spring of 1850, where he resided six years, and then removed to Calamus township, Dodge county, Wis., where he bought a farm. Married Jane, daughter of Wm. and Margaret Evans (Fachgoch), in 1861. In 1867 removed to Blue Earth county, Minn., and located on a farm in Judson, from which in the spring of 1875 he retired and built him a fine residence at Mankato, where he still lives. His first wife died September 5, 1884, and November 18, 1885 he married his present wife, Mary, daughter of Wm. and Mary Williams (Pen-y-bryn) (Pen-y-bryn), Dodge county, Wis. Mr. Jones is a man whose word is as good as his note - scrupulously honest and just in all his dealings. By thrift and industry he has acquired a goodly amount of this world's goods and has not been neglectful of the world of come. He and his wife are loyal and consistent members of the Mankato C.M. church. (x233)
[PHOTO] Jones, Thomas Wynne Born July 6, 1850, at Aberaman, Glanmorganshire, Wales. His parents were Jenkin and Elizabeth Jones and he is brother to Rev. J. Wynne Jones, of Baltimore, Md. In 1854 the family came to Union, Wis., and in 1862 moved to Columbus, Wis. In addition to the district school Mr. Jones spent two years, 1868-9 at Ripon college. He then entered mercantile business at Beaver Dam, Wis., where he remained for nine years. In 1879 he became traveling (Additonal Errata, p. x - omit "traveling") salesman for T.A. Chapman & Co., Milwaukee, and the following year represented C. E. Andrews & Co. in the same capacity. He remained with them until 1884 when he accepted a like position with Reed, Murdock & Fisher, of Chicago. Since 1889 he has been general salesman for the Northwest (Additonal Errata, p. x - read "St. Paul and Minneapolis" instead of "the Northwest") of the Bell, Conrad & Co., of Chicago, with headquarters at Minneapolis in the Syndicate Block on Nicollet Ave. He married Miss Mary V. Harris February 15, 1877, at Beaver Dam, Wis., and they have one son sixteen years old. (x234)
[PHOTO] Jones, V.D. City Passenger and Ticket agent of the Great Northern R'y (railway), was born in Bangor, Wi., October 7, 1861. Entering the employment of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha at the age of 17, as a clerk in the freight department, he soon after was promoted to ticket clerk, then to position of chief clerk in the Claim Department at St. Paul, and later was given the postion of assistant City Ticket agent at Minneapolis. In 1888 he resigned his position in the employ of that railroad to accept the employment of City Passenger and Ticket agent at Minneapolis for the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba R'y, (now the Great Northern R'y) which he has since filled so acceptably that he enjoys the reputation of being the most popular ticket agent in the Twin Cities. His marked ability and unquestioned integrity as a business man and the deserved popularity he has won predict for him a bright future. (x238)
[PHOTO] Jones, Wm. Born near Llanrhiadr-mochnant (Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant), Montgomeryshire, Wales, in September 1840. Son of John and Margaret Jones (Oshkosh). Emigrated with his parents to America in 1846 and settled on a farm near Waukesha, Wis., whence they removed to Oshkosh in 1850, and to a farm near South Bend, Minn., in August, 1854. In Decmber, 1863, he enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry, and was promoted to first sergeant. His regiment served in the Indian campaigns. At the close of the war in 1865 he accepted a position as clerk in the store of Isaac Marks, at Mankato. In 1867 he formed a co-partnership with Isaac Cheshire in the dry goods business at Mankato, which continued until 1878, when he bought out Mr. Cheshire's interest and soon after removed the store to Lake Crystal, where he continued in business until January, 1882, when he became Treasurer of Blue Earth county. He held this office for seven years, and then entered the firm of Boynton, Piper & Jones, and conducted its business of genral merchandise, at Garden City, for two years. He next removed to Lake Crystal and in connection with Mr. Edward Washburn organized the Lake Crystal Mercantile company, and conducted its business until December, 1894, when it was closed out and Mr. Jones removed back to Mankato. Forming a partnership with Wm. H. Jones, they opened a grocery store there in April, 1895. Mr. Jones was married to Miss Ella H. Dean in the fall of 1877, and they have one daughter. (x234)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. Wm. A. Born at Tynlon (Tyn-lôn), Edeyrn (Edern), Carnarvonshire, February 17, 1832. Son of Wm. and Ann Jones. His maternal grandfather was Wm. Owen, a renowned clockmaker of the same place. Young Jones went to Liverpool in 1849 and there began preaching at Pall Mall street church in 1862. Emigrated to Utica, N. Y., in 1866. He was licensed to preach by the C. M. Presbytery of that locality in August of that year and ordained to the full work of the ministry in June, 1873, and preached to the Welsh churches of Rome, Cattaraugus and Floyd, N.Y., until February 14, 1886, when he took pastoral charge of Saron and Elim churches, Le Sueur county, Minn., where he still continues. May 11, 1877, he married Ellen, daughter of Owen Davies, at Floyd, N.Y. They had one son, Wm. G. Jones, who resides at Holland Patent, N. Y. His wife died December 19, 1869. Mr. Jones is one of the most honest and conscientious of men, and a faithful, earnest labourer for the Lord. (x234)
[PHOTO] Jones, Wm. E. Born at Welshpool (Y Trallwng), Montgomeryshire, Wales, in 1831. Son of David and Elizabeth Jones, who emigrated to Newark, Ohio, in 1841. In 1846 they moved to Jackson county, O., where in 1853, Wm. E. Jones married Miss Margaret, daughter of Evan and Jane Griffiths, late of Le Sueur county. In May, 1856, he came with the Jackson colony to South Bend, Minn., and soon located on a farm in Le Sueur county. His wife died in 1873 and in 1881 he married his present wife, Miss Margaret Davies, sister of Mr. C. E. Davies, of Minneapolis. He has had nine children, four of whom are married, Elizabeth, wife of Evan V. Jones, Judson; David, who married Joan, daughter of David Jones, of Sharon; Mary, wife of Hon. Job Lloyd, of Sharon; and Margaret, wife of Edward J. Evans, Le Sueur county. Mr. Jones is a man of excellent judgment in character and has always taken an active interest in Christian work. A few years ago he retired from his farm to Le Sueur City where he now resides in comfortable circumstances. (x235)
[PHOTO] Jones, Wm. H. Born October 12, 1864, at South Bend, Minn. Son of Edward R. and Jennette Jones. His father was a son of Thomas Jones (Maes Mawr) (Maes-mawr), and his mother a daughter of the well known divine, Rev. Jenkin Jenkins. He was educated at Mankato schools, and clerked in the grocery store of R.J. Thomas for about nine years. In 1890 he went to South Butte, Montana, and was deputy postmaster for a year. He then returned to Mankato and in October, 1891, opened a grocery store and was quite successful until the winter of 1893-4, when his store was burned. He soon started again and in April, 1895, formed a partnership with Wm. Jones. He is energetic and very popular. (x235)
[PHOTO] Jones, Wm. J. Born November 29, 1834, at Llwynddewi (Llwyndewi), Cardiganshire, Wales. Son of John and Elizabeth Jones, who emigrated with their children to a place called Welsh Hills, near Newark, Ohio, in 1849, and thence in 1850 to Montello, Marquette county, Wis. He married Miss Ellen, daughter of John Hughes (Bryn Menei) (Brynmenai), in January, 1861. In June, 1862, he removed to Blue Earth county and located on a tract of land in Butternut Valley, where he still resides and which he has improved to a very valuable farm. In the Sioux war of 1862 he was one of the New Ulm defenders. He and his wife are worthy members of Jerusalem C.M. church. Their children are: Jane, Lizzie, Katie, Arthur, Harriet and Mable. (x237)
[PHOTO] Jones, Rev. Wm. Machno Born at Tyddyn Bach (Tyddyn-bach = 'little farmstead / smallholding'), Blaen-y-Cwm (Blaen-y-cwm = 'top of the valley'), Penmachno, Anglesea, (Additonal Errata, p. x - read "Caernarvonshire" instead of "Anglesea") in 1845. Son of Owen and Catherine Jones, who gave their son a very careful moral training. At the age of 12 years he was led by his friend, Joe Bach (Jo Bach = 'little Joe'), Blaen-y-Cwm (Blaen-y-cwm), (now Rev. Joseph Roberts of New York city) to join Rhyd-y-Meirch (Rhyd-y-meirch) C. M. church. He was shepherd to his father's sheep in his boyhoods (sic) days. Attended school for a very short time at Rhyd-y-Meirch (Rhyd-y-meirch) church and at the parish school. Began preaching in the latter part of 1862. Soon after this he went to Clynog (Clynnog) school under the famous teacher and poet "Eben Fardd," and his successor "Dewi Arfon." After finishing his course at this school, Mr. Jones taught for two years at Rhyd-ddu (= 'black ford') school at the foot of Snowdon. (Additonal Errata, p. x - insert: "In April, 1867, he emigrated to Canbria, Wis.") Here, also, he married on December 3, 1868, Miss Alice Williams. He was ordained at the same time as Rev. Thos. E. Hughes at Cambria, Wis., in 1870. In March, 1871, he came to Blue Earth county to take pastoral charge of Salem and Jerusalem C.M. churches, where he continued to labor with great acceptance until December, 1891, except the years 1876 to 1880, when he ministered to the churches of Ixonia and Watertown, Wis. From December, 1891, to April, 1895, he had charge of the church at Picatonica, Wis. He has now retired to his beautiful farm near Lake Crystal to enjoy a short vacation. Mr. Jones is an able and effective preacher and pastor and is in the noon day of his strength. He is also possessed of an excellent Christian spirit. His children are: Owen, Richard, Katie, Allie and Joseph. (x236)
[PHOTO] Jones, Hon. Wm. P. Born on a farm named Cefn (cefn = 'hill', literally 'back'), at Llanwrthwl, Breconshire, Wales, July 15, 1828. Son of William and Margaret Jones. His father was originally from Merionethshire, while his mother was a native of Breconshire. Shortly after the subject of this sketh was born his parents moved to Troedrhiwdrain (Troed-rhiw-drain = troed rhiw y drain - (the) foot (of) the slope (of) (the) hawthorn bushes), Radnorshire, where they resided eight years and removed to Cwmystwyth (Cwmystwyth), Cardiganshire. Leaving the dear though humble parental roof young Jones first sought his fortunes in the coal mines of Tredegar, Monmouthshire. In the spring of 1849 he emigrated to America, settling first at Utica, N.Y., whence in the spring of 1852 he removed to Jackson county, Ohio. Here he assisted in building the first railway through the county from Portsmouth, having charge of the blasting in the deep rocky cuts. He afterwards helped to establish the Jefferson Iron frnace and was one of the original stockholders. July 3, 1852, he married Miss Margaret, daughter of John and Usulla Walters (sic: = ??Ursula; see entry for John Walters), then of Jackson county, O., but afterwards of Cambria, Minn. In May, 1856, Mr Jones moved with his family to Blue Earth county, Minn., arriving there about the last of may. Early in June of the same year, he located on the farm still owned by him in Cambria, Minn. In 1892 he retired from his farm to Lake Crystal where he owns a comfortable home. By dint of industry, economy and wise management he and his good wife have gone through all the visisitudes (sic) of pioneer life, have raised a large family of children, each and all of whom are useful and honored members of the community wherein they dwell. But while caring so well for his personal affairs Mr. Jones did not neglect the affairs of church and state, but took a most active interest in both. One of the founders of Horeb church, in Cambria, Minn., and during his residence there, one of its principal pillars, he was faithful as an elder, leader of song, and member. He has also taken an active part in political matters and during his residence in Cambria held a number of town offices, and in 1876 was elected to the State Legislature. (x236)
(Additional Information from the Underwood/Jones Website : http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/u/n/d/Dale-E-Underwood/
William P JONES + Margaret WALTERS were married in Ohio and had 16 children. William immigrated from Breconshire, South Wales in 1849 and settled in Jackson county, Oak Hill, Ohio. He married Margaret WALTERS in 1852. They moved to Blue Earth county Cambria, Minnesota in 1856. The children were John Pugh, Will, Ursula, Mary Anna, Ann, Stephen, Margaret, Thomas, David, Even (sic), Walter, Edward, Gwenie (sic), Samuel, Dora, and Elizabeth. William P. Jones died 25 May 1908. Information on the 16 children at
[PHOTO] Jones, Hon. Wm. R. Born April 10, 1827, at Aberffraw, Anglesea, Wales, where he resided on a farm until 15 years old. He was then apprenticed as a carpenter to one John Owens of Aberffraw. Having completed his apprenticeship he followed the carpenter's trade in his native town for some years. He then removed to Caergybi and thence to Liverpool. In May, 1853, he married Miss Jane Williams, daughter of Thos. Williams, of Caernant (Cae'r-nant), Llanfaelog, Anglesea, Rev. Henry Rees performing the ceremony at Mulberry street church, Liverpool. In May, 1854, he emigrated to the United States and made his home for a short time in Brooklyn, N. Y. Thence he moved to Milwaukee, Wis., where he resided three years. In the spring of 1857 he came to Rochester, Minn., where he tarried a few months in the employ of the state central committee in translating the proposed state constitution into Welsh. He then came to Judson, Minn., and built him a home in the village where he remained working at his trade for one year. He then abandoned the carpenter's bench and bought his present farm in the vicinity of Jerusalem church, Judson, where he still resides. He is a man of good judgement, strict integrity and an energetic worker in every good cause. He has always taken an active part in the religious work of the community and in 1862 was licensed to preach by the C.M. churches, to which he ministered for a few years. He is a member of the Jerusalem church. Has held varuous town offices and in 1886 was elected to the Legislature. His wife died Octiober 2, 1894. Their children are Caradog, Ann, Miriam, Columbus, Lizzie and Hugh R. (x237)
[PHOTO] Jones, Wm. (No entry. Appears in a photo captioned "Welsh Business Men of Lake Crystal, Minnesota")
Joseph, Rev. Edward Born at Pant Llwyd (Pant-llwyd) in Ffestiniog, Merionethshire, Wales, December 6, 1854. His parents removed when he was a child to Tanygrisiau, and in the church at this place he received his first religious impressions. When he was 12 years old the family removed again to a house they had built at Four Crosses. Here at the age of 13 years Mr. Joseph was received into full membership of the "Tabernacle" C. M. Church under the pastorate of Rev. Owen Jones, A. B., and at once took (an) active part in the literary society and reading class, which were led by the pastor. Owing to financial circumstances he was obliged to work in the quarries after he was 12 years old and hence had very few educational advantages other than what he obtained from the societies above mentioned and the Sabbath school. In April, 1878, he was urged by the unanimous vote of his church, then the largest in Festeiniog (sic: = Ffestiniog), to prepare for the ministry. Encouraged thus he ventured, with what little money he had saved, to acquire an educacion. At first he went to the grammar school at Clynog (Clynnog) under Rev. John Evans, A. B., then to Salop school at Croesoswallt (a Welsh town over the border in England; called Oswestry in English) under Mr. John Evans, M.A., and from there to Bala college in 1881. Ill health prevented him from fully completing his course here. In hope that a change of climate would benefit his health he accepted a call to the C. M. church of Milwaukee, Wis., and began pastoral work there in July, 1886. In June, 1887, he accepted a call to the C. M. churches of "Jerusalem" and "Bethesda" in Waukesha county, Wis., where he was ordained to the full work of the ministry. He soon removed from there to Williamsburgh, Ia., and thence to Lime Springs, Ia., in November, 1891, where he has a large field in the three importnat churches of Lime Springs, Foreston and Bristol Grove. He is a wide reader, sound thinker and faithful pastor. He is, also, a good musician and is industrious in training the young people in the service of song. (x238)
LINKS TO OTHER PAGES IN THE "WALES-CATALONIA" WEBSITE:
Geirfa Lakota (Dakota)-Cymraeg-Saesneg
Lakota (Dakota)-Welsh-English vocabulary
Rhestr o gynnwÿs y llÿfr 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota...'
List of the contents of 'The History of the Welsh in Minnesota...'
Ein mynegai i'r llÿfr (heb ei orffen)
Our index to the book (incomplete)
ychwanegiadau diweddaraf o 'Hanes y Cymrÿ ym Minnesota...'
latest additions from the 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota
ein rhestr o'r enwau yn 'Hanes y Cymrÿ ym Minnesota...' (heb ei orffen)
our list of the names which appear in the 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota...' (incomplete)
y Cymrÿ yn erbÿn y Sioux a'r Winnebagos - gwrthryfel 1862
the Welsh against the Sioux and the Winnebagoes - the 1862 uprising
mynegai i'r hÿn sÿdd gennÿm yn y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
index to the pages in the "Wales-Catalonia" website
adrannau'r Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
siteplan - list of sections in the "Wales-Catalonia" website
cyntedd croeso y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
the reception area of the "Wales-Catalonia" website
tudalen blaen y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
front page of the 'Wales-Catalonia' Website
EDRYCHWCH - VIEW
Edrychwch ar ein Llÿfr Ymwelwÿr!
View our Visitors' Book!
LLOFNODWCH - SIGN
Hoffech chi lofnodi ein Llÿfr Ymwelwÿr?
Would you like to sign our Visitors' Book?
i? Yr ych chi'n ymwéld ag un o dudalennau'r Gwefan "CYMRU-CATALONIA"
On sóc? Esteu visitant una pàgina de la Web "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Gal·les-Catalunya)
Where am I? You are visiting a page from the "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Wales-Catalonia) Website
Adolygiad diweddaraf / Latest update: 2012-09-01, 25 09 2001
OTHER EXTERNAL LINKS:
(1) See John Ball's Archifau Hanes Teuluoedd Cymreig / Welsh Family History Archive
http://home.clara.net/clara.net/w/f/h/wfha/webspace/wales/ "I will help you find out more about Wales and about your own Welsh ancestry - and I hope you'll make some new friends, too!"
(2) See the Wales Forum on the GenCom Website - type in Wales in the "Forum Finder" box at http://genforum.familytreemaker.com/
Gwefan Cymru-Catalonia / Wales-Catalonia Website. The Welsh in Minnesota – an online version of a book published in 1895 - "History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers. Edited by Revs. Thos. E. Hughes and David Edwards, and Messrs. Hugh G. Roberts and Thomas Hughes"
wyf i? Yr ych chi'n ymwéld ag un o dudalennau'r Gwefan
On sóc? Esteu visitant una pàgina de la Web "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Gal·les-Catalunya)
Where am I? You are visiting a page from the "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Wales-Catalonia) Website
Weø(r) àm ai? Yùu àa(r) vízïting ø peij fròm dhø "CYMRU-CATALONIA (= Weilz-Katølóuniø) Wébsait