0001 Y Tudalen Blaen / Home Page kimkat0001
....................2659e Y Porth Saesneg / English Gateway kimkat2659e
........................................2003e Y Barthlen / Plan of the website kimkat2003e
............................................................1804e Y Cymry Alltud / The Welsh in exile kimkat1804e
..........................................................................................··1927e Cyfeirddalen i Adran Gwladfa’r Glasbridd / Orientation page for the Welsh Blue Earth Settlement, Minnesota kimkat1927e
.........................................................................................................................y tudalen hwn / this page
Biographies (Part 2) Rees - Woods
A list of short biographies from “The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia.
Gathered by the Old Settlers”. Editors: Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes.
Published in 1895.
Back to Section 1 of the Biographies
Back to Section 2 of the Biographies
Back to Section 3 of the Biographies
Back to Section 4 of the Biographies
This page you are looking at is Section 5 of the
(1) Some entries were out of sequence in the book, and some appeared in an appendix. Here they are all together and they appear in the right order. The page on which the beginning of the entry is to be found ijn the original book is indicated here at the end of the entry.
(2) Our comments within the text appear in brackets in orange type - for example, the correct spellings of place names - Bank Flosfelen (sic = Bancffosfelen)
(3) To this list of biographies also we have added the names of people appearing in photographs in the volume. In some cases there is no biography for an individual in a photograph.
(4) Usually the photo is a portrait. Sometimes though the individual is in a group photograph. In a few instances the portrait is an engraving. At some future date we hope to put these photos online.
(5) There might be the occasional typing mistake - I’ll correct these errors as I come across them.
(6) There are more names at 0856e (some names which appear in other sections of the book do not appear in the biographies section)
[PHOTO] (1) Rees, John Born February 5, 1826, at Taliasan (Taliesin), Llanganfelin (Llangynfelyn), Cardiganshire. Son of John and Margaret Rees. Like his father before him, Mr. Rees learned the carpenter’s trade. (In the list of portraits only one John Rees is mentioned; the portrait may be the following John Rees, rather than this one). In 1846, he went to Liverpool to work and thence emigrated to America, landing at New Orleans, November 14, 1848. After a stay at the latter place of four months he went to Chicago, where he worked two and a half years, then moved to Galena and St. Louis for another two and a half years. His next move was to La Crosse, Wis., whence he came to Blue Earth county, Minn., arriving at South Bend June 17, 1857. He soon located on his present farm in the town of Cambria. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Ninth Minnesota, and served through the war, being assigned mostly while south to the pioneer corps. In November, 1866, he married Mrs. Mary Roberts. After living some time at South Bend they removed upon their farm in Cambria. Mr. and Mrs. Rees are honest, worthy people, and faithful members of the Salem Congregational church. (x260)
(2) Rees, John Born on a farm called Brondiny (??), in the parish of Llanelly (Llanelli), Carmarthenshire, Wales, July 27, 1817. His parents were Thomas and Margaret Rees. (In the list of portraits only one John Rees is mentioned; the portrait may be this John Rees, rather than the first one). In October, 1839, he married Miss Margaret, oldest daughter of John Jenkins, of Gynheidre-fawr (Cynheidre Fawr). They resided at New Dock, Llanelly (Llanelli), until 1852, when they emigrated to Blossburg, Pa. In October, 1855, they removed to South Bend, Minn., and in the following March went on their claim in the old Welsh settlement of Eureka, Nicollet county. There his good wife died in August, 1856, leaving him with seven young children alone to fight the hard battle of pioneer life. During the war both of his boys, Thomas and William, enlisted and died in their country’s service. His five daughters grew to womanhhod, and all but one are now living. Their names are: Rachel, wife of Rev. John W. Roberts, of Judson; Ann, wife of Watkin Jones, of Windom; Jane, wife of John J. Lloyd, of Butternut Valley; Margaret, wife of Robert S. Hughes, of Lake Crystal. Since 1893 Mr. Rees has resided at Lake Crystal, having by honest toil and thrift acquired enough worldly competence to live comfortably. Simple and modest in his ways, kind and hospitable in his disposition, strictly honest and conscientious in all his dealings Mr. Rees is a fine type of the best Welsh character. In 1841 he united with the Baptist church at Llanelly (Llanelli), under Rev. Thomas Pritchards (sic), and ever since has lived a sincere christian life. For many years in Judson he was a deacon of the Baptist church and no one ever performed the duties of that office more faithfully. (x260)
[PHOTO] Reese, Timothy Merchant, born at (blank) Cardiganshire, Wales, August 1, 1845. (In the list of portraits, Rees, not Reese) . At the age of seven he emigrated with his parents to Madison, N. Y.. where he lived until 1854, when he moved to a farm near Dodgeville, Wis. Enlisted in 1864 in Company C, Twelfth Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Volunteers, and served under Gen. Sherman until close of war. March 30, 1870, married Miss Anne, daughter of Rev. Evan Owen of Ridgeway, Wis. In 1872 he came to Judson, Minn., and was engaged in farming until 1881, when he moved to Lake Crystal and formed a copartnership with Mr. J. Edwin Rowlands, in the hardware, furniture and farm implement business. Mr. Reese was County Commissioner of Blue Earth county in 1882-4. He is also a worthy member of the Presbyterian church and of the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) post of Lake Crystal and is highly esteemed by all. (x261)
Rees, Thos. Born at Brondiny (??), in the Parish of Llanelly (Llanelli), Carmarthenshire, Wales, July 26, 1840. Son of John and Margaret Rees. In November, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Fourth Minnesota and was promoted corporal and sergeant. He was wounded at the battle of Champion’s Hill near Vicksburg on May 16, 1863, which resulted finally in his death on January 20, 1864. He was a man of excellent character. (x261)
Rees, Wm. Born at New Dock, near Llanelly (Llanelli), Carmarthenshire, Wales, May 22, 1842. Son of John and Margaret Rees. Came to Pennsylvania and thence to Nicollet county, Minn., with his parents. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Ninth Minnesota and served with his regiment until captured at the battle of Guntown, Miss., in July, 1864. He was taken to Andersonville prison where he died October 11, 1864. He was a dutiful son, a faithful soldier and a sincere christian. (x261)
[PHOTO] Richards, John B. Born at Remsen, N. Y., December 15, 1857. Son of Thomas J. and Margaret Richards. When he was two years old his parents removed to Baraboo, Wis., and two years later to Proscairon, Wis., thence after three years to Cambria, Wis., and from there to Butternut Valley, Minn., in the fall of 1867. At the age of 16 John left home to clerk in the grocery store of R. J. Thomas, Mankato. Six months later he entered the employ of George I. Lidgerwood, of the same place. After three and one-half years he became traveling salesman for a Minneapolis dry goods firm. In 1885 he formed a partnership with Henry Frink and opened a large dry goods store at Mankato In 1888 his brother, David Richards, bought Mr. Frink out, and the firm has since been J. B. & D. Richards. He married Miss Jennie, daughter of Dr. J. D. Williams, of Cambria, Wis., in the summer of 1885. They have one daughter, Edith. (x262)
[PHOTO] Richards, Owen E. (Margrugyn) (a mistake for Morgrugyn = ant) Born in Dyfryn Ardudwy (a mistake for Dyffryn Ardudwy), Merionethshire, July 5, 1850. Son of Thomas J. and Margaret Richards, late of Butternut Valley, Minn. The family emigrated to America in 1851 and settled first at Holland Patent, N. Y., then at Proscairon, Wis., whence in 1867 they removed to a farm in the vicinity of Bethel church, Butternut Valley. July 4, 1878, he married Miss Sarah., daughter of Rev. David F. Jones late of LeSueur county. In November, 1884, he removed to Mankato and engaged in the grocery business until his death on March 1895. He was thoroughly honest, conscientious and religious. A warm-hearted friend and a loyal faithful servant of Christ and His church. He was a leading elder of the C. M. church for years. He was also a patron of literature and a frequent contributor to Welsh papers. (x292)
[PHOTO] Richards, Thos. J. Born at Penrhyn Bach, (Penrhyn Bach) Merionethshire, Wales in 1811. His parents moved in 1815 to Tafarn Trip (Tafarn-trip), in the parish of Ffestiniog. There at the Bront-urnor (??!) Sunday school he was greatly impressed by the remarkable prayers of William Elias, of Maentwrog. In 1820 the family moved to Hendre Geryg (Hendrecerrig), Dyffryn Ardudwy. When 28 years old Mr. Richards married Miss Margaret Owens, of Bron-y-Foel-Fach (Bron-y-foel Fach). In 1851 they emigrated to America and lived eight years at Holland Patent, N. Y., and thence they moved to Proscairon, Wis. In the fall of 1867 they came to Butternut Valley, Minn. In February, 1880, Mrs. Richards died and Mr. Richards ended this life in June, 1885 Both were devoted members of the Bethel C. M. church, of which Mr. Richards was an efficient elder. He was a man of very positive convictions and prompt in his denunciation of wrong. Mr. and Mrs. Richards had twelve children, only three of whom are now alive: John B and David Richards, merchants of Mankato, and Margaret, wife of John J. Edwards, of the same place. Their son, Owen E. Richards recently died at Mankato. (x262)
[PHOTO] Roberts, Mrs. Amy Born at Trenton, Oneida county, N. Y., January 1, 1818. She is a daughter of Griffith and Elizabeth Jones. On March 1, 1843, she united in marriage with John P. Roberts, and in the spring of 1885 they came west and settled on a farm near St. Charles, Minn., where they resided for six and one-half years. In the fall of 1861 they removed to a farm in South Bend, Blue Earth county. Mrs. Roberts is much esteemed for her amiable christian character. Her children are: Ann, wife of Hugh H. Edwards, Esq., of Judson; Elizabeth, wife of Wm. E. Williams of Minneapolis; Edward and David, both of Blue Earth county; Mary, late wife of Daniel Edwards of Judson; Amy, late of South Bend; John, Moses and Elias, all of Judson. (x262)
(1) Roberts, Griffith Born at Coid Coch (Coed-coch = ‘red wood’), Dyfryn Ardydwy (a mistake for Dyffryn Ardudwy), Parish of Llanendwyn (Llanenddwyn), Merionethshire, Wales, April, 1800. Son of John and Jane (Lewis) Roberts. Married Margaret, daughter of Robert Williams of Llanegrin (Llanegryn), Merionethshire, in 1824. Emigrated to Marcy near Utica, N. Y., in April, 1842, thence to Euclid, Ohio, about 1846, thence in 1848 or 9 to Emmet, Wis., and thence to South Bend, Minn., in June, 1855. There September 30, 1871, his wife died and he followed her April 27, 1878. His son, John G. Roberts, enlisted in Company E, Ninth Regiment, Minn. Volunteers and died at Andersonville Prison. His daughter, Winifred, wife of Robert R. Williams still resides at South Bend. (x263)
[PHOTO] (2) Roberts, Rev. Griffith Born on a farm three miles from Llanrwst (Llan-rwst), in Carnarvonshire, Wales, December, 1817. Son of John and Bridget Roberts, a very worthy religious couple who brought up their children in the fear of God from their youth. When Griffith was ten years old the family moved to Penmachno and when a young man he worked for a time in the quarries. He received his poetical training from Hugh Tegai and Clwdfardd (sic: = Clwydfardd). When 26 years old he married Miss Ellen Richards. He had been fitting himself for the ministry from his youth and was licensed to preach by the Synod in Merionethshire about 1845. This same year he emigrated to Wisconsin with his parents and brother, Rev. John Roberts, late of Columbus, Wis. He spent twelve years in charge of C. M. church at Dodgeville. At the Synod of the C. M. churches held at Seion, Welsh Prairie, Wis., in 1849, he was ordained to the full work of the ministry. After spending a few months in Colorada in 1864 he took pastoral charge of the C: M. church of Salem, Iowa. In May, 1874, he moved to Cambria, Minn., where he ministered to the churches of Horeb and Bethel for fourteen years. In 1888 he resigned pastoral work and retired to Lake Crystal, where he and his good wife still reside. Mr. Roberts is a deep, conservative, yet original thinker and when armed to his subject he preaches with much power. His children are: Thomas Roberts, of Denver, Col., Griffith G. Roberts, of Courtland, Minn., Robert G. Roberts and Jennie, widow of John S. Jones, both of Lake Crystal, Minn., and Mary, widow of Wm. Shields, of Mankato, Minn. (x263)
[PHOTO] Roberts, Harlan P. Born December 5, 1854, at Williamsfield, Ashtabula county, Ohio. His grandfather was Judge George Roberts, who was born and married in North Wales, and at the beginning of this century came to this country and settled and raised a family in Ebensburg, Pa. His father was Rev. George Roberts, who graduated at Washington school, in western Pennsylvania, and presched in Welsh in his early ministry, but afterwards took an English church in Ashtabula county, Ohio, and his family was born and raised in that county. The maiden name of the mother of Harlan P. Roberts was Anne Jennete Marvin, and his father was a cousin of the well known Welsh divines Rev. Samuel and John Roberts (Llanbrynmair) (Llan-bryn-mair), their father being a brother of Judge George Roberts. The subject of this sketch graduated from Oberlin college in 1875, and spent three years at Yale Theological seminary, from which he graduated in 1878, with the intention of entering the ministry in the Congregational church, but was hindered by a throat difficulty. In 1878 he went to Silverton, Col., where he was elected county treasurer, and at the same time in 1882 was admitted to the bar. In 1884 he came to Minneapolis where he has been ever since attending strictly to law, having a large practice. For four years he was in partnership with J. T. Baxter, under the name of Roberts and Baxter, and now is in partnership with John C. Sweet, under the name Roberts and Sweet, and have their office in the Bank of Commerce building. Since coming to the city Mr. Roberts married Miss Margaret Conklin, of Binghampton, New York, a niece of David C. Bell, of Minneapolis. (x264)
[PHOTO] Roberts, Hugh G. (Gwyngyll (Gwyngyll)) Born at Gaerwen, Anglesea, Wales, September, 1854. Son of David and Elizabeth Roberts, being the youngest of ten children. His father died in 1858 and mother in 1833. In 1874 he removed to a place called Llan-fair-pwll-gwyngyll (Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll), from the last part of which name he derived his bardic nom de plume. At this place was manager of a store for W. Hughes (Siglau) (probably should be Siglan) for nine years. In 1885 he married Grace, eldest daughter of R. W. Parry and about the same time started in general mercantile business for himself. In the spring of 1888 failing health obliged him to sell his business and seek a drier climate. On his departure from Wales the society of “Cymru Fydd” (Coming Welsh) (in fact, ‘the Wales that will be, the Wales of the future’ - a movement for Welsh self-determination) of which he was a member, presented him with an address and a purse of £10 ($50). May 17, 1888, he started from Liverpool with his wife and two boys, Griffith and David, and arrived at Mankato June 7. Located first three years at Judson, then for one year at Lake Crystal, and ever since at Mankato. He is very fond of music and poetry and has won many bardic prizes. (x264)
Roberts, Humphrey J. Born February 24, 1848, at Ty Hen (Ty-hen), Rhosnegir (Rhosneigr), Anglesea, Wales. He is a son of Owen and Catherine Roberts, herein mentioned. Emigrated with his parents to Wheeling, W. Va., in the spring of 1850. Thence he removed to Minersville, O., in 1852, and again to Mason City, Va., whence in November, 1855, he came to Judson, Minn., with his parents. He received an ordinary common school education and in 1870 attended a commercial school at St. Paul. November 3, 1875, he was married to Miss Kate J Jones, daughter of Mr. Evan Jones, of Judson. Mr. Roberts is a member of the C.M. church, of Jerusalem, in which he is a very earnest and active worker. He is always a stout champion of the right and has the courage of his convictions on every moral and religious question. He now owns and resides in the house built by his uncle, the late Humphrey Jones, on the very spot where he (Jones) and his seven pioneer comrades built his first log shanty in Judson. (See cut of house and Mr. Roberts and family on page 31). (x265)
[PHOTO] Roberts, Humphrey O. Born January 1, 1841, in Castell Moelun (??), Llanrug (Llan-rug), Carnarvonshire, Wales. His parents were Owen and Ann Roberts. Having lost his father when very young he was taken by his uncle, (father’s brother) Rev. Thomas Owen(,) Pentre Uchaf (Pentre-uchaf) near Pwllheli, where he received a common school education and also learned his trade as carpenter. In the spring of 1860 he came to Slatington, Pa., and the following year went to New York city, where on March 8, 1862, he married Miss Mary Jones. In the fall of 1862 moved to Utica, N. Y., and remained there two years, and another two years were spent at Cambria, Wis., in the spring of 1866. Here he engaged in the business of manufacturing wagons and sleighs and succeeded in establishing a large trade. In 1874 he moved to Lime Springs, Ia., to live on a farm bought in 1870 and remained there until his coming to Minneapolis in 1880. Here he worked at his trade, superintended the building of the church, the large dwelling of R. H. Jones on Park avenue and others, and for a time he also ran a repair shop. In 1888 he invented a riveting machine which has been placed on the market. He has strong political convictions and twice has been the Prohibition candidate for alderman in the Seventh ward, a position for which he is well adapted. He was elected deacon of the church of Foreston, Ia., and was active in theorganization of the Minneapolis church, where he has served in the same capacity from its beginning. He has been actively engaged in temperance and literary work and has composed some fine poems. It has been his lot to have been the first president of the Bible, Temperance, Wyddorfa (Cymdeithas y Wyddorfa, name of a literary society in Blue Earth county) and Cymrodorion Societies (Cymdeithas y Cym(m)rodorion, a London-based Welsh antiquarian and literary society). which he has aided in organizing. He was, also, the first secretary of the Minneapolis church and, for years, a member of the board of trustees. Mr. Roberts is a fluent speaker, and is always ready to take part in every good work. (x265)
[PHOTO] Roberts, John G. Born at Bristol, Fillmore County, Minn., in 1867. (Errata: Strike out first sentence and add: “Born near Kingston, Wis., in Green Lake county, in 1861. Removed with his parents to Bristol, Fillmore county, Minn., in 1867.”) Son of Mr. and Mrs. Griffith G. Jones. Errata: Add “His father was born in Sabsarna (sic. Most likely ‘Talsarnau’), Merionethshire, and emigrated to America in 1848. His mother , whose maiden name was Catherine Jones, was born at Corris, in the same shire, whence she emigrated in 1843. They were married in 1853. Received a good business education at Minneapolis. For a number of years he has been in the employ of the J. I.Case Manufacturing Co. and has been very successful. Errata: Add “John was married in 1889 to Miss Bertha Roberts.” His home now is at Lime Springs where he is an efficient member of the Welsh church and held in high regard by the entire community.
[PHOTO] Roberts, Rev. Joseph Born in the neighborhood of Penmachno, Anglesea, (Additonal Errata, page x - read “Caernarvonshire” instead of “Anglesea”) Wales. He received the most careful religious training from his youth and was an efficient worker of Rhyd-y-Meirch (Rhyd-y-meirch “(the) ford (of) the horses”) C. M. church when a mere boy. He early indicated his preference for the ministry and showed signs of special ability for the work. He received an excellent education and came to America to take charge of the mission work in the vicinity of Fair Haven, Vt., where he rendered splendid service. He married Miss Maggie, daughter of the able deacon David Cadwalader, formerly of Proscairon, Wis. In 1874 Mr. Roberts accepted a call to the C. M. church at Racine, Wis., where he labored very efficiently for fifteen years. In June, 1889, he accepted a unanimous call to the Welsh church of Minneapolis, Minn., where he ministered with great
(x267) success until November, 1894, when he became pastor of the C..M. church at New York City, where he now is in the midst of a great work. He is a great reader, a close student and a profound thinker. Has contributed many valuable essays to Welsh periodicals which have won him a high place as a thinker and man of letters. He is a preacher and divine of rare quality, and has presided frequently at local and general assemblies of the C: M. church.
[PHOTO] Roberts, Lieut. John R. Born August 4, 1833, in Oneida county, N. Y. He was a son of the Rev. Richard Roberts, late of Ebensburg when John was quite young. In the spring of 1858 he left home and came to South Bend, Minn. From there he went to the Big Woods Welsh setttlement and in August, 1862, enlisted in the Company E, Ninth Minnesota and was appointed second lieutenant. May 16, 1863, he married Miss Dorothy Jones, daughter of Mr. Thos. W. Jones, late of LeSueur county. He was wounded in the leg while leading his company to a charge on the rebel lines at the battle of Nashville. He was taken to the hospital and there died January 4, 1865, from a fever induced by the wound. He was one of the bravest and best of men. No man in his regiment stood higher in the esteem of his comrades for bravery, honesty and every element of genuine christian manhood than he.
[PHOTO] Roberts, Rev. John W. Born at Pen-y-Groes (Pen-y-groes = ‘end of the cross, the side where the cross is’), Llanihenadl parish (Llanynghenedl), Anglesea, Wales in March 1830; son of Wm. and Elizabeth Roberts, who were devout people and faithful members of the C.M. church at Bodedern near by (nearby). Here their son, John, was baptised by by the renowned Welsh preacher, Rev. John Elias. Emigrated to Ixonia, Wis., in the spring of 1854. After one year removed to Bangor, Wis., where he remained two years and began to preach. In March, 1857, he removed to the Welsh settlement of Le Sueur county, Minn. There he ministered to Saron church for five years, preaching, also, for the Welsh churches of Blue Earth county. He preached the first and last sermon in the Saron log church building. In 1858 he married Mary, daughter of Evan Griffith, of Le Sueuer county. His wife died in 1861, leaving two children, Evan Roberts, now of St. Paul, and Elizabeth, wife of Chas. E. Davis, of Judson, Minn. In 1863 he removed to Judson, and three years later he married Rachel, daughter of John Rees, of that town. At the annual synod of the C. M. churches held June, 1887, he was ordained to the full work of the ministry.
(x268) He has visited Wales two or three times and
made extensive preaching tours there and through the Welsh setttlements of this
country. He is noted for his honest, christian character and his sincere
faithfulness in the christian ministry. His children by his second wife are:
Wm. R., John C., Robert C. and Thomas S.
[PHOTO] Roberts, Owen Born at Llachenffarwudd (Llechgynfarwy), Anglesea, Wales, in 1826. Son of Henry and Maragaret Roberts, who died when he was seven years old. Married in 1849 Miss Catherine, daughter of Robert Jones, Ty Hen, Rhosneigr, Llanfallog (sic: = Llanfaelog), Anglesea, where she was born June 15, 1821. Emigrated to America in 1850 and spent two or three years at Wheeling and Mason City, W. Va., and about two years at Pomeroy, O. In 1855 he removed to Judon, Minn., and located on his present farm. The Jerusalem C.M. church was organized at his house in July, 1858, and the services were held there for some time. He was, also, elected one of the two first elders of this church, and has been always faithful and generous toward all christian work. His wife died April 24, 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts had eight children, only two of whom are living: Humphrey J. Roberts, of Judson, and Henry R. Roberts of Lake Crystal.
[PHOTO] Roberts, Richard Born at Llachenffarwudd (Llechgynfarwy), Anglesea, Wales, in 1829. In 1850 he married Miss Jane Jones of the same shire. He emigrated with his wife and three children to America in 1855, stopping for two years at Racine, Wis. He removed to Cambria, Wis., in 1857, where he was engaged in farming, and thence came to Cambria, Minn., in 1863. Here his wife died in 1877. In the year 1880 he married again, his second wife being Miss Elizabeth Burgess, daughter of the late John Shields. In 1881 he removed to the village of Courtland in Nicollet county, where he resided up to the year 1894, when he came back to Cambria, having purchased the Shields homestead in addition to his own. He had five children by his first wife, only two of whom are now living, viz: Wm. Roberts of South Bend, and Mrs. Jas. D. Price of Cambria. By his second marriage he has two children, Minnie and Enoch. Mr. Roberts was chosen elder of Horeb church in 1865 and has served it ever since with great acceptance. He is a man of the strictest integrity, gifted with good, shrewd good sense and much natural humor.
[PHOTO] Roberts, Robert Born at Nant Uchaf Abergele Denhighshier (sic: = Nant Uchaf, Abergele 1967k, Sir Ddinbych / Denbighshire), Wales, July 12, 1834; son of Robert and Mary
Roberts. After spending two years in Liverpool, in
1856 he emigrated to Norwich, N. Y., and thence in the summer of 1857, he came
with his brother, Wm. R. Roberts, to Mankato, Minn., where he has made his home
ever since. Attended school from 1858 to 1862, except one or two terms, when he
taught country schools. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company E., Ninth
Minnesota Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. He then followed
the plasterer’s trade for some time. In 1877 married Ella S. Conger. The same
year he acepted the position of business manager of the Mankato Manufacturing
Co., and continued as such until the summer of 1886. In 1869 he was elected a
member of the Mankato city council and served three years. Was deputy county
treasurer, under Wm. Jones, for two years. In 1894 he was elected county
commissioner from the city of Mankato. He is honest, thrifty and of sound
Roberts, Robert W. and Grace Mr. Roberts was born at Ddol (Ddôl), parish of Llanlligan (Llanllugan), Montgomeryshire, Wales, in
1816. He was a grandson of Rev. Robert Roberts, of Clynnog, a noted C. M.
preacher, and nephew of Michael Roberts (Pwll-Eli) (Probably a mistake for the town of Pwllheli; could
possibly be a bardic name). Emigrated to Oneida county, N.Y., in 1836,
and at Utica in 1847 married Miss Grace Williams. Mrs. Roberts was born at Cae
parish of Llanllechid, Carnarvonshire, Wales, May, 1818. Emigrated with her
parents to Steuben, N.Y., in 1828. In 1854 Mr. and Mrs. Roberts removed to La
Crosse, Wis., thence in 1856 to South Bend, Minn., thence in 1864 to Martin
county, Minn., and thence in 1874 to Sharon, Le Sueur county. There Mr. Roberts
died Jume 18, 1882, and in 1885 the family moved back to Blue Earth county,
where Mrs. Roberts still resides with her son. Wm. E. Roberts, of Butternut
Valley. Their other children are: John M. Roberts, of Mankato; Margaret, wife
of David Woods; and Katie, wife of John D. Evans of Judson.
[PHOTO] Roberts, Rev. William Born at Pen-y-Groes (Pen-y-groes), parish of Llanyngugenadl parish (Llanynghenedl), Anglesea, Wales. His father, William Roberts, belonged to the family of Castell in (the) same parish, his mother, Elizabeth, was (a) descendant of Penrhos (Pen-rhos), Bodedern. When William was a child his parents moved to Pen-rhos, where they lived until they came to America in 1850. They settled for a season in Ixonia, Wis., where in 1851 the subject of our sketch began to preach. In November, 1855, he came to South Bend, Minn., and preached regularly there and in the Zion neighborhood until the spring of 1856, when
(x270) he returned to Wisconsin, and married Miss Mary
Cheshire, sister of Isaac Cheshire, at Racine. In the spring of 1857 he again
removed to South Bend, and after a short sojourn in Wisconsin during the Indian
outbreak of 1862, he located on a farm in Judson, Minn., and organized Carmel
church in 1869. In a few years he sold his farm and removed to Skunk Grove,
near Racine, Wis. Thence he returned to Wales where he has been pastor of Capel
Coch church, Anglesea, for about twenty years. His wife died in the spring of
1888. His daughter, Lizzie, is his only surviving child. He is an honest,
sincere christian and faithful preacher.
[PHOTO] Rowlands, Rev. Daniel T. Born May 23, 1823, at Nant-y-Graen (Nant-y-graen), Llanllechid, Carnarvonshire, Wales. He emigrated to Welsh Prairie, Wis., in 1847. March 15, 1852, he was married at Dodgeville, Wis., Rev. Richard G. Jones, officiating. They resided sometime at Dodgeville and then returned to Welsh Prairie. Mr. Rowlands had begun preaching before leaving Wales, but had refused a letter showing the fact to the Wisconsin churches. A letter, however, was sent and he was soon urged to preach by the then pioneer churches of Dodgeville and Welsh Prairie, and soon after his marriage he was ordained to the full work of the ministry at a synod of the C. M. churches held at Proscairon, Wis. He resided for some years at Berlin, Wis., and thence went to Vermont for one year. He then returned to Madison, N. Y., for four years and thence to care for the churches of Colinsville, Tug hill and Constableville, N. Y. for two years. He next removed to Lime Sprigs, Ia., in 1867, where he organized the Foreston church. About 1871 he removed to Blue Earth county, Minn., to minister to the Welsh Presbyterian churches of South Bend and Judson. About 1884 he removed to Aberdeen, Dakota, where he has retired from active labors - only preaching occasionally. Mr. and Mrs. Rowlands are now enjoying the fruits of a long life of christian usefulness.
[PHOTO] Shields, John Born at Llantrisant, Glanmorganshire, Wales, October 31, 1817. Worked in the coal mines of Tredegar, Dowlais and other places. Early in 1841 at Victoria, (part of the town of Pen-y-cae, now called Glynebwy in Welsh and Ebbw Vale in English) Monmouthshire, he married Miss Jane, daughter of Wm. and Jane Tanley, who had been born July 28, 1816, at Ceryg, Cadarn (sic = Crucadarn), Breconshire. Soon after their marriage they emigrated to America and settled at Pottsville, Pa., for three years, thence went to Cumberland, Md., for two years, thence to Mt. Savage, Md., for some time, where Mr. Shields united
with the Congregational church. They next moved to
Clarkville, Pa., and from there in 1849 to Pomeroy, O. Leaving his family
there, in 1852 Mr. Shields went to seek his fortune in the gold fields of
California. There he met with an accident by a rock falling on his head, which
affected him through life and in his latter years brought on a softening of the
brain from which he died. Returning from California he removed with his family
in May, 1856, to Cambria, Minn., where he located on his farm. At Sioux
massacre of 1862 he was one of the New Ulm defenders. Morning of the main
battle he, with a dozen others, were detailed to guard the Red Stone ferry. The
Indians attacked them in overwhelming numbers and Mr. Shields barely escaped -
one bullet passing through his hat. A few years after the death, October 27,
1877, of his beloved wife, he went to live with his daughter, Mrs. Richard
Roberts at Courtland, Minn., where he died October 29, 1891. Mr. Shields was a
worthy member of Horeb C. M. church from its organization until his death. He
was an honest, industrious, frugal man. He was of a social dispostion and fond
of wit and humor. He had seven children. One died in infancy and three sons in
mature years: Enoch at Courtland, September 9, 1882, in his 26th year,
William at Ipswich, Dak., November 29 1886, in his 37th year [See: The Welsh of Blue Earth and Le Sueur Counties,
Minn. - Their Record in the War of the Rebellion 0854e ] and John J. at Cambria, Minn., 1893 in his 41st year. Three
daughters still remain: Rachel, wife of Wm. T. Jones, of St. Peter, Minn.,
Elizabeth, wife (of)
Richard Roberts, Cambria, Minn., and Margaret Jane, wife (of) J. J. Cleveland of
[PHOTO] Theophilus, Hon. Wm. Born at Troedyrhiw (Troed-y-rhiw = (the) foot (of) the slope), parish of Llansadwrn 1969k, Wales, August 6, 1858. Emigrated with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Theophilus, to America in the summer of 1868 and located on a farm near Lime Springs, Ia. His mother died in April, 1875. His father has resided in Lake county, South Dakota, for the past fourteen years. The subject of this sketch is a self-educated man. He was clerk of the district court of Howard county, Ia., during 1883, 4, 5 and 6. In 1888, he was a candidate for clerk of the supremem court of Iowa, and ran 1,500 votes ahead of his ticket. He was elected a member of the Iowa legislature for 1888 and 9. June 7, 1888, he married Miss Minnie A., daughter of J. H. Thompson, Esq., of Le Roy, Minn., a most estimable lady. In 1889 he removed to Arkansas City, Kan., where he resided nearly five years and was admitted to the bar. In 1894 he removed to Davenport, Ia., and formed a law partnership with Geo. W. Scott. Mr. Theophilus has much ability as a writer of prose and verse, and has been eminently successful in politics and in the practice of his profession. His father is a noted singer.
[PHOTO] Thomas, Dr. David Owen, L.R.C.P, M.R.C.S. Born at Penybenglog Mill (Melinpenybenglog = (the) mill (of) Penybenglog - summit / hill / end of the skull), Eglwyswrn (sic: = Egwlyswrw), Penbrokeshire (sic: = Sir Benfro / Pembrokeshire), Wales, in 1852. Before he was 20 years old he came to this country and resided at Youngstown, Ohio. Soon afterwards, in order to continue his literary education, the foundation of which was well laid in his native country, he entered Bethany College, Va., and after five years graduated with the degree of A. B. He has obtained his medical education at several schools and enlarged his experience in European hospitals. After graduating from the Medical College of Indiana, he practiced for two years in that state. Moved to Minneapolis in 1885 and continued his profession for three years. Desiring to widen his experience at the best medical centers, he left in 1888 and entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of New York. and again graduated a Doctor
in Medicine. Pursuing his studies still further he now
went abroad, and after some travel in the interest of clinical studies, settled
at St. Bartholemew’s Hospital, London, where he spent two years. Before
returning he successsfully passed the examinations of the Conjoint Board of the
Royal College of Physicians, of London, and of the Royal College of Surgeons of
England. In 1891 he returned to Minneapolis and resumed the practice of his
profession and is well esteemed by his fellow-practitioners. In 1885 he married
Miss Anne, daughter of Mr. Ovid Butler, of Indianopolis, who has seconded all
his efforts in the pursuit of higher medical attainments. In faith he is a
Christian or Disciple. He is in close sympathy with all social and religious
reforms among the Welsh, and willingly lends a helping hand in literary
matters. He is a lover of books, and, if he is guilty of any extravagance it is
in the purchase of rare books on Celtic philology and archaeology. (x271)
[PHOTO] Thomas, Sr., Edward Born in Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire, in 1807. Emigrated to Centerville, O., soon after he was married; thence to Coalport, O., and thence in May, 1855, to South Bend, Minn., where he died February 5, 1868. (In the list of portraits he is listed as Thomas, Dr. Edward). In his youth he was a weaver by trade, but by self-teaching he fitted himself for teaching and taught country schools for a number of years in Ohio and Minnesota. He had a great passion for music and taught singing school, also, in both states. He also had some knowledge of medicine and among the pioneers was generally known as “Dr. Thomas.” He was a free soiler in politics, a zealous temperance advocate, and a friend to every moral and social reform. He was a good conversationalist and debater and an active promoter of literary and debating societies. He was also an active christian. (sic = Christian) (x273)
[PHOTO] Thomas, Rev. Edward (Awenydd) Born in 1839 at Centerville, O. Son of Dr. Edward Thomas. United with the C.M. church when he was 14 years old at Coalport, O., under Rev. John T. Williams. Came with his parents to South Bend in May, 1855. Was engaged in teaching for a number of years. In 1862 he enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry. While in the service he composed a number of poems, one of which, Pryddest ar Wir Fawredd (“poem on true greatness”; a pryddest is a poem in free metre, usually with alliteration), won first prize at Minersville, Pa., Eisteddfod. He is a poet of rare merit, and his compositions have appeared frequently in the Welsh periodicals. In 1867 he entered the ministry and was ordained at Foreston, Ia., October 14, 1874. He has had charge of the Welsh churches at Mankato, Big Woods, Dawn, Mo., and Tracy, Minn., at which last place he is now located. He is a man of splendid character and a champion of temperance. (x273)
[PHOTO] Thomas, Jas. P. Born January 6, 1828, at Tir Canol Crag (??), Dyfonog (Defynnog), Breconshire. Emigrated to Racine, Wis., where he arrived February 18, 1855, and in May, 1856, removed to South Bend. Enlisted in Company I, Curtis’ Horse, in November, 1861, and discharged for inability June 1862. He married Mrs Elenor Roberts January, 1872. Owing to ill-health acquired in the army he retired from his South Bend farm to the city of Mankato in 1884, where he has been the janitor of the Congregational church for many years. His children are: Lizzie, Laura, Evan and Robert. (x273)
Thomas, John Born in Carnarvonshire, Wales, September 25, 1833. His parents moved when he was quite young to Ty Mawr (Ty-mawr), Llanddyfyddan (Llanddyfnan), Anglesea, and in 1839 emigrated to Remsen, N.Y. In 1844 the family moved to Waukesha, Wis., being one of the first settlers of Prairieville, as the place was called then. In 1856 Mr. Thomas married Miss Ann, daughter of Daniel Garman of Waukesha. In 1867 they moved to Blue Earth county, Minn., and located on a farm near Salem church, Judson. April 21, 1873, his wife died. In 1875 he married Miss Harriet Griffiths. He was among the most prominent in the organization of Salem C. M. church and was elected one of its two first elders in 1872. He is a man of firm convictions and is a principal pillar of Salem church. (x274)
Thomas, John D. (The name appears in the list of portraits. Possibly refers to the John Thomas above)
(1) Thomas, John R. Born at Melin Bodowyr (??), Llanidan, Anglesea, March 27, 1798. Both parents were drowned when he was 21 years old. May, 1827, he married Miss Elenor Pritchard, of Gearwen (sic, misprint for Gaerwen), Anglesea, and in 1831 removed to Liverpool, where he stayed twelve years, and where in 1837 he joined the C.M. church. He was a machinist by trade, and in 1843, removed to Crew (sic: = Crewe; Welsh name: Cryw), England (Crewe is an important railway junction), to work in the shops of the London and N.W. Ry. Co. In 1850 he emigrated to near Cambria, Wis., and thence in 1866 to Mankato, Minn., where he died February 17, 1877. He was an honest, religious man and was very active in establishing the Welsh churches at Crew and Mankato. (In the list of portraits only one John R. Thomas is mentioned; the portrait may be the following John R. Thomas, rather than this one) (x274)
(2) Thomas, John R. Born April 20, 1853 at Racine, Wis. Son of R.J. and Sarah Thomas. Removed with parents to South Bend in October, 1863, thence in September, 1865, to Mankota, where he received a good common school education. Clerked in his father’s grocery store for five years and then in 1875 accepted position as book keeper in Citizens’ National Bank of Mankato, where he remained until January, 1884, when he went to Minneapolis for two years as teller and book keeper for the Manufacturers’ National Bank. He then returned to Mankato to assume the position of cashier of Mankato National Bank where he still continues. He is quite a prominent singer and for nine years has ben a member of the Presbyterian church choir. He is a member of the Masonic order in which he has held a number of offices. (In the list of portraits only one John R. Thomas is mentioned; the portrait may be this John R. Thomas, rather than the one above) (x274)
[PHOTO] Thomas, John W. Born in Steuben, Oneida county, N.Y., January 14, 1844, of Welsh parentage. His early days were spent on the farm in Steuben and Bridgewater until 1857, when his parents moved to Bangor, Wis. He obtained his education in the district schools until about 16 years of age, when he entered Sparta academy. After finishing his course at this institution, he entered the dry goods business, clerking in Sparta, Portage and Milwaukee. In 1869 he went to Winona, managing a branch store for N. H. Wood & Co., whose principal place of business was located at Portage, Wis. This same year he married Miss Jennette Jones of Utica, N.Y., by whom he has three children, two daughters and one son. In 1870 he formed a co-partnership with Geo. F. Hubbard, of Winona, in the dry goods business, continuing two years, at the end of which time he started business for himself on Third street, Winona, where he remained for fifteen years and by his untiring energy and business ability, became one of the leading merchants of that growing young city as well as a respected and popular citizen. In February, 1883, Mr. Thomas moved to Minneapolis. The popular dry goods house, of which he is now sole proprietor, was established by Geo. W. Hale in 1883. Geo. W. Hale died in 1884 and Jefferson M. Hale and is now sole proprietor. His parents were staunch Calvinists. He has inerited much of their religious zeal, endeavoring to live his religion in private, social and business life. He is an active member and elder of the Westminster Presbyterian church of Minneapolis. In his home he is a man of quiet tastes, devotedly attached to his family. (x275)
Thomas, Owen E. His father, Evan Thomas, was a well known farmer at Llanfairynnghonwy (Llanfair yng Nghornwy), Anglesea, Wales, and he brought up four sons who are exceedingly succesful with their occupations. Owen E. was born in 1829 at Anglesea and lived with his parents until he sailed in 1853 for this country. He settled first at Cambria, Wis., and there married Miss Jane Jones, a young lady just arrived there from Wales. They had three children. His first wife having died he married Miss Ellen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. Evans, Lime Springs, and they had one daughter. He moved from Cambria, Wis., to Bristol Grove, Minn., in 1868, where he is well known as one of the richest farmers of Fillmore county. Mr. Thomas, like all pioneers, went through many privations and hardships, but he went through them with courage and fortitude. He is noted for common sense, decision of character, good judgement and upright dealing. (x275)
(From the Records of Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Lime Springs, Howard Co., Iowa: THOMAS, Owen E. / Born 29 Sep 1826 / Died 16 Aug 1906 / Spouse: EVANS, Ellen )
[PHOTO] Thomas, Richard J. Born at Cwm-y-Dail (Cwm-y-dail), Manafon parish, Montgomeryshire, Wales, April 3, 1826. Son of John and Elizabeth Thomas. Emigrated to Racine, Wis., in 1848. He was a miller by occupation for eighteen years. March 31, 1852, at Racine, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of Thos. and Elizabeth Baxter who was born August 31, 1830, at Llanfaircaereinion (Llanfair Caereinion), Montgomeryshire. In 1863 he removed to South Bend, Minn., and engaged in mercantile business with his brother-in-law, W. W. Davis. In August, 1865, they removed to Mankato and started in the grocery busniess. In a few years Mr. Thomas bought out Mr. Davis and continued alone until 1883, having a large trade. He died April 25, 1894, leaving surviving his beloved wife and three children: John R., Elizabeth and Jennie. Mr. Thomas was an able musician. In Wisconsin he was a member of the famous Cambrian Qaurtette led by Prof. John P. Jones. In Minnesota he won prizes at musical contests both as a composer and singer. For over twenty years he led the choir of the First Presbyterian church of Mankato. He was the most peaceable, upright and kind hearted of men. (x276)
Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Mr. Thomas was born in 1809 in Radnorshire, near Merthyr Tydfil (Radnorshire is not near Merthyrtudful!; it is a county in Central Wales), and Mrs Hannah Thomas at Llangranog (Llangrannog), Cardiganshire, Wales, in 1818. They were married at Merthyr (Merthyr = Merthyrtudful) in 1843, and emigrated to Philadelphia, Pa., in 1846, and thence to Blue Earth county, Minn., in July 1857, locating on the old farmstead still owned by the family, adjoining the lake which bears their name, in Butternut Valley. Mr. Thomas died September 1, 1879, and Mrs. Thomas February 13, 1895, leaving surviving three sons: Rice and Abraham Thomas, of Butternut Valley, and James Thomas, of Lake Crystal. He was a moulder by trade. (x276)
[PHOTO] Thomas, Thos. P. Born at Cambria, Wis., March 16, 1852. Son of John R. and Elenor Thomas, late of Mankato, Minn. Came with his parents to Mankato in spring of 1866. Has always taken a great interest in religious affairs and theological studies. in 1894 was licensed to preach among its churches as a supply by the C. M. Synod of Minnesota. Has been ever ready and active in all branches of work in the Welsh church of Mankato and is honest and faithful. (x276)
[PHOTO] Walters, David Born in Jackson county, O., in 1848. Son of John and Ursula Walters, late of Cambria, Minn. removed with his parents to Cambria in 1856. Was a member of Butternut Valley guards during the Indian outbreak of 1862. In November, 1863, enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavelry (sic). He married Miss Mary, daughter of Hugh R. Williams, in October 1872. She died in May, 1873. June 17, 1874, he married Miss Mary Evans, who died July 28, 1889. Married Mrs. Mary Williams, his present wife, in 1890. They own, and reside on, the old Walters homestead. (x277)
Walters, John Born at Pant Amlwg (Pantamlwg; pant = hollow, amlwg = open, exposed), parish of Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud; = “(the) church (of) Rhystud”), Cardiganshire, Wales, in 1808. Son of Thomas and Margaret Walters. He married Miss Ursula, daughter of Stephen and Ursula Davis of the same parish. They emigrated to Jackson county, O., in 1839, and thence in May, 1856, with the Jackson colony (see 0875 The colony from Jackson, Ohio) to Blue Earth county, Minn., and in June located on the old homestead in Cambria. His beloved wife died September 15, 1872, at the age of 67. He followed her to the Better Land November 26, 1879. They left surviving three sons: John, Stephen and David; and three daughters: Margaret, wife of Hon. Wm. P. Jones, Lake Crystal; Mary, widow of Thos. D. Lloyd, late of Cambria, Minn., and Ann, wife of John L. Harris, of Tracy, Minn. Mr. and Mrs. Walters were honest, God fearing people and faithful members of Horeb church, in which Mr. Walters was an active elder from its organization until his death (additional information from Underwood/Jones Website http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/u/n/d/Dale-E-Underwood/TREE/0008tree.html - Usulla Pel Davis died 15 September 1872, John Walters died 20 November 1879, Margaret Walters died 01 January 1915). (x277)
[PHOTO] Walters, Stephen Born in Jackson county, O., February, 1845. Son of John and Ursula Walters. Came to Blue Earth county, Minn., in May, 1856, and soon thereafter located in Cambria. Enlisted in Company E, First Regiment Mounted Rangers of Minnesota, November 7, 1862, and was mustered out November 11, 1863. On December 24, 1863, he re-enlisted in Company E, Second Regiment Minnesota Cavalry, was promoted corporal in 1864, and was mustered out December 2, 1865. Married Miss Mary Edwards, daughter of Mr. James Edwards of Cambria, on June 30, 1874. He was a brave and faithful soldier. (x277)
[PHOTO] Wigley, Joshua Born February 1, 1835, near Llanbrynmair (Llan-bryn-mair), Montgomeryshire, Wales. Emigrated to Racine, Wis., in 1855, where he remained two years. He then moved to Minnesota and soon located on his present farm in Judson, Blue Earth county. July 20, 1862, married Miss Carolin, daughter of Wm. J. and Hannah Roberts of Judson. Was one of the New Ulm defenders during the Sioux massacre of 1862, being a member of Capt. Bierbauer’s company. In 1863 he enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry Volunteers and served two years, until close of war under Gen. Sibley. In July, 1887, he was appointed to a position in the state weighing department at Minneapolis, which he held for a number of years. In 1893 he retired from his farm to Lake Crystal, Minn. Is a member of the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) post at that place. (x277)
[PHOTO] Wigley, Hon. Richard Born at Bron-Derw-Coed (Bronderwgoed), Llanbrynmair (Llan-bryn-mair), Montgomeryshire, February 14, 1833. Son of Joshua and Elizabeth (Morris) Wigley. He married in 1853
[PHOTO] Miss Mary, daughter of William Williams (Gwilim Gyfeilog) (Gwilym Gyfeiliog) of Llanbrynmair (Llan-bryn-mair). Her father was a cousin of the renowned Revs. John and Samuel Roberts, Llanbrynmair (Llan-bryn-mair). Her brother, Richard Williams, is a very prominent lawyer of Trenewydd (Y Drenewydd, a town in the modern county of Powys, but formerly Sir Drefaldwyn / Montgomeryshire; English name = Newtown). In 1857 Mr. and Mrs. Wigley emigrated to Racine, Wis. and in May of the following year removed to Judson, Minn., where they own a very valuable farm. During the Indian attack on Butternut Valley on September 10, 1862, Mr. Wigley had quite a narrow escape. In 1876-7 and 8 he was County Commissioner of Blue Earth county and in 1884 was elected to the State Legislature. He is a man of good ability and has always been active in all public affairs. He and his good wife are given to hospitality and are worthy members of the Mankato Welsh church. Their children are: Joshua W.; Wm. W.; Mary E., wife of Hugh Jones of Mankato; Ann, wife of Hugh Roberts of Oshkosh, Wis.; Hannah, and John. Mr. and Mrs. Wigley have retired from the farm to Mankato, where they have a pleasant home. (x278)
[PHOTO] Williams, Miss Clara Born at Roe Wen (Ro-wen), Carnarvonshire, Wales, her parents being then on an extended visit to their native land. When she was about one year old, her parents, two sisters and herself, all living now, returned to Kansas, U.S. Her childhood days were spent at Topeka and Emporia, Kansas, and Columbus and Watertown, Wisconsin, and Minneapolis, Minnesota. At all of these places she attended the public schools, and, at Minneapolis, graduated from the Minneapolis High School, and took a course in German and French at the Minnesota State University. Both of her parents are from musical families, and her father, J. W. Williams, druggist, is possessed of fine musical perception and taste. She began taking lessons on the piano when six years of age, and seems to be a natural-born accompanist. At Watertown she received a few lessons on the violin. At Minneapolis she took lessons on the pipe organ inharmony. She received vocal instruction for a number of years grom a few of the best vocal teachers at Minneapolis. She was for a time organist of the Emanuel Baptist church there, and afterwards she was the soprano of the First Baptist church and of the Hebrew Synagogue, and, also, occasionally, of a church in St. Paul. In 1893 she was engaged to sing at the World’s Fair at Chicago. Mr. John Thomas, harpist to the Queen of Great Britain, hearing her there, was impressed with her musical abilities and possibilities, and persuaded her to return with him to London, and enter the Royal Academy of Music there. Accordingly, in September, 1893, they sailed. She passed the rigid entrance examination of that institution, and has now spent a year studying chiefly the voice under one of the best living vocal teachers, Signor Randegger, and also studying the piano, harmony, elocution, and Italian. At the close of her first year, she not only passed the examinations creditably, but won two bronze medals, one for singing and one for first sighting, a thing quite unusual for a pupil of the first year. O.M. (x278)
Williams, Cornelius Born at Gletwr, Penrhos (= Penrhosllugwy), Anglesea in 1820. Emigrated to America in 1850 and located at Collinsville, N. Y., where in 1861 he removed to (blank), Wis., and thence in 1868 to Blue Earth county, Minn. He was one of the first settlers of the Salem neighborhood in Butternut Valley. In April, 1872, he was chosen an elder of this church and performed the duties of this sacred office with exceptional faithfulness. The Salem (C.M.) church was greatly indebted in its infancy to the persevering and efficient labors and care of this worthy christian. He died April 16, 1881. His children are: Richard Williams, of Lake Crystal, and Mrs. Catherine Jones, wife of Robert F. Jones, of Butternut Valley. (x279)
[PHOTO] Williams, Rev. Daniel, B.A. Is a son of the late Rev. John D. Williams, Lime Springs, Ia. He was born December 11, 1851, in Green Lake county, Wis., where he spent the first fifteen years of his life on a farm near the Proscairon church. In 1866 his father and family moved to Fillmore county, Minn., where Daniel spent the following four years. In November, 1870, he left home to attend Ripon College, Wis., where he remained two terms. In September, 1871, he went to the Normal School, Mankato, Minn., and the following winter taught a school four miles north of Lake Crystal. Becoming acquainted here with Evan Prichard (now Rev. E. R. Prichard, Albany, Oregon) he accompanied him in May, 1872, to the Minnesota University, took the classical course and graduated with the class of ’78: and in September, 1878, entered Princetown Theological Seminary, graduated with the class of ’81, and in October of the same year was ordained to the work of the ministry by the Red River Presbytery, Synod of Minnesota. Mr. Williams is an ardent admirer of the Presbyterian church, and his ministerial life thus far has been spent in her home mission fields - five years in North Dakota and eight years in Northwestern Iowa. It was while he ministered to the congregations there that church buildings were erected at Bathgate and Hamilton in Dakota, and at Estherville and Seneca in Iowa. The contract for the beautiful building at Armstrong, also, was let while that church was under his care. October 10, 1883, he married Mss Eliza F., daughter of Rev. D. Hodgkin, Toronto, Canada. In April, 1892, Mr. and