http://www.kimkat.org/amryw/1_glasbridd/minnesota_11_bywgraffiadau_02_edwards_isaac_0867e.htm

 

0001 Y Tudalen Blaen / Home Page kimkat0001

....................2659e Y Porth Saesneg / English Gateway kimkat2659e

........................................2003e Y Barthlen / Plan of the website kimkat2003e

............................................................1804e Y Cymry Alltud / The Welsh in exile kimkat1804e

..........................................................................................··1927e Cyfeirddalen i Adran Gwladfa’r Glasbridd / Orientation page for the Welsh Blue Earth Settlement, Minnesota kimkat1927e
 
.........................................................................................................................y tudalen hwn / this page


..










Gwefan Cymru-Catalonia
La Web de Catalunya i Gal·les
The Wales-Catalonia Website


 
The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Editors: Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes. Published in 1895.

Biographies (Part 2) Edwards - Isaac


(delwedd 6654)

Adolygiad diweddaraf / Latest update:
25 09 2001

 

 

 

A list of short biographies from "The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Editors: Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes. Published in 1895.
 

 

0850e

Back to Section 1 of the Biographies
Surnames A-D

 

0867e

This page you are looking at is Section 2 of the Biographies
Surnames E-I

 

0941e

Forward to Section 3 of the Biographies
Surnames J-K

 

0868e

Forward to Section 4 of the Biographies
Surnames L-Q

 

0869e

Forward to Section 5 of the Biographies
Surnames R-Z

 

 

SOME NOTES:
(1) Some entries were out of sequence in the book, and some appeared in an appendix. Here they are all together and they appear in the right order. The page on which the beginning of the entry is to be found ijn the original book is indicated here at the end of the entry.


(
2) Our comments within the text appear in brackets in orange type - for example, the correct spellings of place names - Bank Flosfelen (sic = Bancffosfelen)

 

(3) To this list of biographies also we have added the names of people appearing in photographs in the volume. In some cases there is no biography for an individual in a photograph.


(4) Usually the photo is a portrait. Sometimes though the individual is in a group photograph. In a few instances the portrait is an engraving. At some future date we hope to put these photos online.


(5) There might be the occasional typing mistake - I’ll correct these errors as I come across them.


(6) There are more names at 0856e (some names which appear in other sections of the book do not appear in the biographies section)

 

[PHOTO] Edwards, Daniel (No entry. Appears in a photo captioned "Welsh Business Men of Lake Crystal, Minnesota")



 (Click on the photo to see an enlargement)

Edwards, Rev. David Rev. David Edwards, present pastor of Lake Crystal, Jerusalem and Salem C.M. (Welsh Presbyterian) churches. He was born in 1861 at Bangor, a city of Caernarvonshire, Wales, at (the) head of Beaumaris’ Bay (sic) (Welsh: Bae Biwmaris, English: Beaumaris Bay), and in the midst of a romantic valley. The first years of his life were spent at home and in attendance at the British and Grammar schools. In the year 1877 he left home and was employed as a clerk in a woolen warehouse at Liverpool, England, where he stayed for tree years. In 1880 he left Liverpool and entered a private grammar school at Oswestry, in Shropshire, and during his stay there was admitted as a regular member of the Presbytery in 1882. After attending college for five years more, he sailed from his native shores, anticipating a stay of four months in the United States. The climate, however, proving greatly beneficial to his health, was a great inducement for him to remain there. He took charge of the Welsh Presbyterian churches in Nebraska and Denver, Col., but in February, 1893, moved to Lake Crystal, Minn., and became the pastor of the three Welsh churches first mentioned. Mr. Edwards married December, 1888, Lizzie, daughter of the late John S. Jones, Blue Springs, Neb. (x181)

[PHOTO] Edwards, Hugh Born at Dolgelly (Dolgellau), Merionethshire, Wales, in 1810.Married Miss Elizabeth Evans, at Dolgelly, in 1840 and the two came to the United States soon after their marriage and located at Remsen, N.Y. In the spring of 1847 they moved to Racine, Wis., and thence in the following year to Emmet, Wis. In June, 1855, they came to Judson, Blue Earth County, Minn., where Mr. Edwards died, August 27, 1872. He was honest, industious and religious. He was a deacon of the Congregational Church at Emmet, Wis., and with the Welsh Wesleyan Church at South Bend. His children are: Hugh H. Edwards, John Edwards and Daniel Edwards, of Judson, Minn., and Mrs. Margaret Roberts, deceased. (x181)

[PHOTO] Edwards, Hugh H. Born at Remsen, N.Y., February 25th, 1842. Son of Hugh Edwards above mentioned. He received a good common school education. Came with his parents to Judson, Minn., in June, 1855. February 25th, 1863, married Miss Ann Roberts, daughter of John R. and Amy Roberts (St. Charles). In December, 1863, he enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry, and served during the war in the Indian campaign on the frontier. July, 1873, he was appointed mail agent on C., St. P., M. & O. railway, which position he held until August, 1886. In 1888 he was elected county commissioner of Blue Earth County, which office he held for four years. Possessed of great energy, determination and industry he has always been one of the principal leaders in the every public and private enterprise in the community. His children are John, Daniel, Lizzie and Ama (sic. This should most likely be Amy, since she is the granddaughter of Mrs. Amy Roberts (see separate entry) and niece of Amy Roberts, South Bend.). (x182)

[PHOTO] Edwards, James Born April 2d (sic, instead of 2nd), 1840, at Pittsburgh, Pa. Son of James and Margaret Edwards, late of Cambria, Minn. Came with his parents to La Crosse, Wis., in 1855, and thence to Cambria, Minn., in July, 1857. November 5th, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Bracket’s Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry. Took part in the following battles: Fort Donaldson, Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, and many campaigns and raids in Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, and Mississippi. About January 1st, 1864, re-enlisted in the same company and his command was assigned to duty against the hostile Sioux on the northwestern frontier. While "Jim," as he was familiarly known, was fighting rebels on southern fields, his father was killed by Indians in their attack on Butternut Valley(,) September 10th, 1862, and when he received the letter from home telling of the murder he swore that some day he would avenge his blood. On July 28th, 1864, was fought the battle of Taha-konty on the edge of the Bad Lands of Dakota, 2,200 whites against 6,000 Indians. Jim’s day of vengeance had come and he went into the thickest of the fight. Seeing a dismounted Indian a little way off, separated from the main body, he broke from the ranks and made for the Indian, shouting, "Now is the time for vengeance!" Half a dozen mounted Indians seeing their comrade’s peril ruched to his aid and as many soldiers sped to Jim’s help. Jim fired his revolver at the Indian and missed. The dusky warrior had reserved his fire and now thought he had the pale face, and turning suddenly and taking good aim with his gun at short range fired. Quick as a flash Jim jerked the bridle so as to elvate his horse’s head just in time to receive the fatal bullet intended for his brain. The horse spun round - the Indian clubbed his gun and struck at Jim who parried his blow with one arm, while he quickly drew his saber with the other hand and with one stroke severed the Indian’s head. Both armies had paused a moment to witness this single combat and Jim was the hero of the hour. The Indians seeing their champion fall beat a hasty retreat, while the white soldiers urged the pursuit with new vigour. Jim removed the saddle and bridal (sic = bridle) from his dead horse and took the Indian’s gun, ammunition bag and moccasins as trophies, and being without a horse unable to join his comrades in the pursuit, he took up a position among the wounded to protect them from straggling savages, a number of whom he chased from the field with his revolver. Jim was at once promoted. After the war he resided in Cambria until 1870, when he went to Jackson, O., where he remained until 1891, when he again returned to his old home and there died September 30, 1892. He was as brave and efficient a soldier as any in the war. (x182)

[PHOTO] Edward, John Farmer, born at Steuben, N.Y., November 24, 1845. Removed to Racine, Wis., when two years old and hence to Emmet, Wis., and in June, 1855, he came to Blue Earth County, Minn. Enlisted August 18th, 1861, in Company E, Ninth Minnesota Volunteers, and served with his regiment in every march. skirmish and battle until the close of war. At the battle of Spanish Fort, near Mobile, he was wounded in the left knee. December 1865, married Jane, daughter of John P. Jones, of Judson. Since the war he has lived on his farm in the town of Judson. His children are: Hugh, Thomas, Henry, David, William, George and Charles. (x183)

[PHOTO] Edwards, William Born November 17th, 1838, in Cardiganshire, Wales. Son of James and Margaret Edwards, late of Cambria, Minn. Came with his parents to Pittsburg, Pa., about 1840, thence in spring of 1855 to LaCrosse, Wis., and thence in June, 1857, to Cambria, Minn., where he still resides. May 16th, 1861, he married Miss Margaret Davis, daughter of David P. Davis, then of Butternut Valley. In December, 1863, he enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry, and served until close of war. April 7, 1873, his wife died and in 1875 he married again. His second wife being Mrs. Elizabeth Daniels. (x183)

[PHOTO] Edwards, William R. Born in Palmyra, Portage County, O., in 1840. At the age of nine years removed with his parents to Wisconsin, where they settled on a farm near Oshkosh. Here his boyhood days were spent until 1858, when he went to St. Louis, Mo. and attended the St. Louis Normal school., which was at that time in charge of his brother Richard. There he remained until the war of the rebellion broke out, when he returned home. From that time on he attended Lawrence University at Appleton, Wis., and taught school at Milwaukee, Wis., and Elpaso, Ill., until 1867, when he entered the State Normal University of Illinois, from which institution he graduated in June, 1869. From that time on until 1878 he followed the profession of teaching , for which he had specially qualified himself. The greater portion of the time he was principal of the Faribault (Minn.) public schools. In 1878 he began his career as a journalist and has ever since been engaged in editing and publishing a Republican newspaper. Though quite active in politics, he was never an aspirant for office. He has always preferred to work for his friends, rather than himself. The office of county superintendent of schools of Lyon county becoming vacant in 1888, the county commissioners unanimously elected him to fill the unexpired term. In the fall of that year at the general election he was elected to the office by a majority of 1,002 votes over all opposition. He was for two years a member of the Republican State Central Committee, and is at present editing and publishing the "Tracy Republican." In his religious belief Mr. Edwards is a Presbyterian, and has been an elder in that denomination for the past twelve years. His family consists of wife and five daughters. He has filled various honorary positions in his town, and is present clerk of the Board of Education, secretary of the Tracy District Fair Association, president of the Board of Trade and Justice of the Peace. (x184)

[PHOTO] Ellis, Ellis E. (Glan Dyfi), born in 1844 at Aber Dyfi (Aberdyfi), Merionethshire, Wales. When six years old his mother died and he was brought up by his grandmother at Garnedd(,) Llanddeiniolen. She was the mother of Rev. Robert Ellis of Ysgoldy, a well known Calvinistic Methodist minister. While young, Ellis was learning the carpenter and joiner’s trade at Aber Dyfi (Aberdyfi), he came in contact with Llewelyn Twrog, Gwilym O Fon, Ioan ap Hu Feddyg (Llewelyn Twrog, Gwilym O Fôn, Ioan ap Hu Feddyg) and others of the literati of Wales, who inspired him with a strong taste for Welsh literature, especially poetry, and when quite young he won a number of prizes at the Eisteddfodau of Aber Dyfi, Towyn (Tywyn) and Machynlleth. Emigrated to America in 1860 and lived for about two years with his father at Hydeville and Fairhaven, Vt. He then removed to Utica, N. Y., where he married. In the fall of 1864 moved to Blue Earth County, Minn., where he lived about ten years, mostly at Mankato. There he was very active in organizing the Welsh Church, whose services were held at his house for a long time, and also in starting literary societies. In 1874 moved to Lime Sprimgs, Ia., where he lived two years. There he lost his home and contents by fire. He then moved to Bloomington, Neb. for a year, thence to Red Cloud for two years, thence to Wymore for six years and thence to Beatrice, Neb., where he has resided the past four years engaged in publishing the Beatrice Tribune. Since leaving Lime Springs he has been an active member and elder of the Presbyterian church. He is a ready writer and has been a frequent contributor to Welsh and English periodicals, and is a good Welsh poet. (x184)

[PHOTO] Evans, Daniel Morris Born at Llandyfriog (Llandyfrďog) parish, Cardiganshire, Wales. He spent several years in Utica and New York Mills, N. Y. He took a prominent part in organizing the Congregational Church at the latter place, and was very efficient as a Sunday School worker and deacon. In 1855 he removed to Winona, Minn., and at once engaged in Christian work in an Union Sunday School and soon after helped organize the Congregational Church there.He did excellent work duting the revival there in 1856, as he had a very effective way of approaching unconverted young men. The same year he was made a deacon of the Winona Church and worked faithfully and contributed freely to its support. In 1858 he removed to a farm near St. Charles, Minn., where there had been no regular religious services as yet. He at once gathered all inclined to the Congregational polity and formed them into a church and got all to pledge to abstain from intoxicating liquors. This pledge at first worked against the church, but finally proved a means of success. During the nine years he lived near St. Charles no Sunday, summer or winter, was too stormy for Mr. Evans and his family to attend church, though he lived some distance from town. He also gathered a Sunday school at a school house nearer home, where a church was afterwards organized. After 1867 he removed to a small village in the southwestern part of the state, where there was no Christian church within six miles. He took measures to secure regular preaching, worked faithfully in prayer meeting and Sunday school and labored among the young people until within a year a church was organized and he and his family were seven of the charter members. That church grew and became a power for good in the country around. He next moved to Faribault, where he united with Plymouth Congregational Church and was soon chosen one of its deacons. His christian activity was highly beneficial to this church as he helped to start and maintain seven Sunday Schools in the outlying districts. Every Sunday and attended to one of these and was its superintendent, while his daughter, Sarah, had charge of another. For many years he taught the tailoring trade at the Deaf and Dumb Institute at Faribault. He died at Faribault in December, 1878. He was a thoroughly good man, whose life was imminently (sic: = eminently) useful in the master’s service. His children have risen to places of great usefulness and honor. Two of them, Col. D. M. Evans and Miss M. J. Evans, A. M., are mentioned elsewhere in this volume. (Rev. R. Gwesin Jones, D. D.) (x185)

[PHOTO] Evans, Hon. David C. Born at Rhos-y-Glas-Coed (Rhosyglasgoed) in Meifod, Montgomeryshire, Wales in 1820. His father emigrated to Palmyra, O., in 1835, and his mother with their two sons, D. C. and Rev. Meredith Evans, followed him in June, 1836. At the age of sixteen years left home to seek his fortune. After a short stay at Palmyra, went to Cars’ Run near Pomeroy, O., thence to Middlebury, O., thence in May, 1843, to Dodgeville, Wis., where he worked for a time in the coal mines. At Dodgeville in 1847 he married MAry, daughter of Thmas and Mary Herbert, of Palmyra, O, and in 1851 they moved to LaCrosse, Wis. (Then a small place called Prairie LaCrosse. ) There his wife died in July, 1852, and his two children also died, leaving him alone in the world. July 28th, 1853, he left LaCrosse for the Great Bend of the Minnesota, which he reached August 1st, 1853, and became one of the proprietors of South Bend, being the first Welshman to locate west of the Blue Earth. On May 5th, 1855, he married Jane, daughter of Thomas and Mary Morgan, of Palmyra, O. He was elected county commissioner in 1854, state senator, in 1859, county treasurer in 1873, which last office he held for eight years. Mr. Evans is a man of much energy and ablility, and is especially noted for his honesty and integrity of character. (x185)

[PHOTO] Evans, Rev. David Edward, A. B. Born near Oshkosh, Wis., March 1, 1855. His parents, David S. and Elizabeth Evans, came from Merionethshire, in 1847. Having received an elementary education at the common schools and Oshkosh high school, he completed (a) college course at Ripon, Wis., in 1877, and a Theological course at Lane Sminary, Cincinnati, =., in 1882. He then became pastor of the Presbyterian church at Caolton, O., for one year; at Kilbourn City, Wis., for four years, and at Litchfield, Minn., for two years. He was next appointed Superintendent of Missions in the St. Paul Presbytery for three years. For the past two years he has been pastor of the House of Faith Presbyterian church of Minneapolis. In 1882 he married Miss Maggie A. Evans, of Oshkosh, Wis. They have two daughters, Elizabeth and Lillian. Mrs. Evans’ mother, Mrs. Margaret Evans, sister of the late Rev. Morris Williams, the renowned "Nicander," resides with them healthy and happy in her eightieth year. Mr. Evans is an able preacher and efficient pastor. (Nicander, Morris Williams, 1809-1874, from Langybi in Sir Gaernarfon. Was curate of Treffynnon, and later Bangor, and lastly rector of Llanrhuddlad, Môn. Prolific hymn writer. The nom de plume Nicander was the one he used to submit an entry (a poem entitled Y Greadigaeth - The Creation) to the Eisteddfod in Aberffraw, which was judged to be the winner and for which he won the Chair. See another prizewinning poem of Nicander’s - ‘Yr Atgyfodiad’ (The Resurrection) - on websection 1346) (x195)

[PHOTO] (1) Evans, David H. Born at Glan Conway (Glanconwy), Denbyshire (sic = Denbighshire, and in Welsh Sir Ddinbych), Wales, December, 1845. Emigrated to Cambria, Wis., in April, 1867, where he resided five years. They spent a year in Colorada and returned to Wisconsin. July 4th, 1873, at Milwaukee, Wis., married Miss Hannah, daughter of John R. Jones, Oakland farm, near Cambria, Wis. Moved to Minneapolis in February, 1879, and enterd the employ of the Minneapolis Harvester Works Company, by whom he was promoted in 1884 to be superintendent of the Wood department, which position he still holds. When the company was changed to the Walter A. Wood Harvester Company and moved to St. Paul, Mr. Evans removed there also in September, 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Evans were charter members of the Minneapolis Welsh church, but on removing to St. Paul, they and their two sons, Richard and David, united with the East Presbyterian church of that city. (x187)

[PHOTO of Mr. and Mrs. Evans] (2) Evans, David H. Born at Utica, N.Y., November 1st, 1852. In 1857 his parents moved to South Bend, Minn., where his father, David D. Evans, now of Mankato, Minn., engaged in farming and blacksmithing. During the trying days of the great Sioux massacre, of 1862, his father was a member of the South Bend militia. He also served on the Board of County Commissioners of Blue Earth County from 1866 to 1868. Young Evans had to contend with the usual hardships and disadvantages of pioneer life, but his force of character triumphed over all difficulties. At the age of sixteen he went to Utica, N.Y., to complete his education and fit himself for business. On his return he first took a position in the hardware stores of L.L.Davies and G. Lullsdorf, of Mankato. In 1878 he moved to Tracy, Minn., where he engaged in the hardware and farm machinery business. By persevering, industry and good management Mr. Evans became the leading merchant there in this line. Close attention to private business, however, did not smother his public spirit, and questions of reform and public enterprise have always had in him a warm champion. In 1892 he was the nominee of the Prohibition party for State Treasurer. At the last (1894) State Convention of his party he was unanimously chosen chairman, and were it not for his positive refusal he would have been its nominee for Governor. Press of business also compelled him to decline a nomination for Congress, unanimously tendered him by the same party. In the spring of 1894 he was elected Mayor of Tracy by a good majority on the Prohibition ticket, though the balance of the ticket was defeated by a vote of about two to one, thus showing the very high esteem in which Mr. Evans is held by his fellow townsmen. Mr. Evans was married February 25, 1880, to Miss Mary A. Evans, Denver, Col. (x187)

[PHOTO] Evans, Col. David M. Son of Daniel M. Evans. His infancy and early manhood were spent at his home at Evans’ Mills, Jefferson County, N.Y. He was educated in Massachussetts and graduated in the same class with President Garfield, and being also a collegemate of Senators Ingalls, Plumb and Hitchcock. At the outbreak of ther civil war he enlisted o the first call for troops at Watertown, N. Y., as a private in the Thirty-fifth Regiment, New York Volunteers. He participated in every march. skirmish and battle in which the regiment was engaged with the army of the Potomac, and for gallant service was rapidly promoted. When mustered out after two years active service Col. Evans had the regiment reorganized as cavalry and it served with the the army of the James as the Twentieth N. Y. Cavalry. He had the honor of riding in at the head of our forces at Richmond and planted the old flag on the capitol. He was mustered out as colonel on July 31st, 1865. After the war he went to Philadelphia as the business manager of a new Methodist paper called then the "Methodist Home Journal," but now known as the "Standard." He was afterwards appointed to a position in the United States Mint, where for fifteen years he was one of, what might be called, two receiving tellers. All the bullion being receipted by him and for on his figures. On the election of Mr. Cleveland to the presidency Col. Evans resigned his position, not wishing to serve under a democratic administration, and went to Millbank, S. D., where he bought out the "News-Letter," a democratic paper and changed it to a republican journal under the name of "Index." In 1890 he sold the "Index" to a stock company and assumed editorial control of the "Aberdeen Daily News." He was a potent factor in moulding the institutions of the new state of South Dakota. He was largely instrumental in organizing the Congregational church at Aberdeen, and the Congregational church at Redfield, S. D., of which he was afterward made president, and of which he is now financial agent, with headquarters at Minneapolis, Minn. Col. Evans is a fine scholar, a good speaker, and a man of strong religious and moral convictions, which he courageously and aggressively asserts. (x188)

[PHOTO] Evans, David S. Born at Rhayader (in Welsh, Rhaeadr-gwy
1973k), Breconshire (sic; in fact the town was in Radnorshire; and nowadays in the county of Powys), Wales, January 17, 1856. Parents were Evan and Elizabeth Evans, who emigrated to Beaver Dam, Wis., in the spring of 1858, where in July the father died. The family moved in the spring of 1859 to Columbs, Wis., and thence in October, 1866, to Butternut Valley, Minn., where they located on a farm. David attended school at Mankato for a time, and in 1878 became a clerk in the grocery store of R. J. Thomas, where he remained until May, 1883, when he accepted the position of Deputy Postmaster at Mankato, under L. P. Hunter, Postmaster. In the fall of 1885 he resigned to accept a position in the Crockery Store of M. K. Jones, at Mankato, where he continue two years. In September, 1887, he became traveling salesman for the Standard Fiber Ware Company, which position he still holds. September 10, 1890, married Jonna A. Dunn. (x189)

[PHOTO] Evans, Edward Born in 1801, near Llanrhaider-yn-Mochnant (Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant), Montgomeryshire, Wales. Oldest son of John and Dorothea Evans. When twelve years old he lost his father and the care of the farm devolved on him and his mother. Married Ann Charles, of Cynog, in 1828, and they resided for twenty years on a farm called "Wern." Thence they removed to a farm named "Beythdir," (sic: = Brithdir) whence after two and one-half years, in 1850, they emigrated to the United States. After a short stay at Palmyra, O., they located at Weathersfield, Trumbell County, O. April, 1853, they removed (to) New Canada, Minn., about four miles northeast of St. Paul, whence in the following October, they came to LeSueur County where Mr. Evans died in 1872 and Mrs. Evans in 1878. They were honest, religious people, whose memory will be cherished long and pleasantly by the pioneers. (x189)

[PHOTO] Evans, Edward S. Born August 20, 1835, near Llanrhaider-yn-Mochnunt (sic; Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant), Montgomeryshire, Wales. Son of Edward and Ann Evans, late of Ottawa, Minn. Emigrated to Ohio with his parents in 1850, thence to New Canada, near St. Paul, in April, 1853, and thence a few months later to Sharon Township, LeSueur County. Enlisted in Company E, Ninth Minnesota Volunteers August 18, 1862. Was taken prisoner at Guntown, Miss., in June 1864, and spent five months in Andersonville when he managed to escape and reached Sherman’s army November 21st, 1864. The following March he rejoined his regiment at Mobile Bay and served until close of war. November 14, 1865, he married Miss Mary A. Jones, of Cleveland, and two daughters have been born to them, both now dead. Mr. and Mrs. Evans have retired from their farm to the city of LeSeuer, where they have a comfortable home and are much respected. (x189)

[PHOTO] Evans, Ephraim D. Born at Pittsburgh, Pa., October 26th, 1838, son of David J. and Mary Evans, of Caermarthenshire (sic), Wales, his father having been born on a farm called "Coed Lanau" (Coedlannau = ‘woodland, plantations’) and his mother at "Bwlch-y-Coed" (Bwlch-y-coed). He moved to Dodgeville, Wis., at the age of seventeen years, Nov. 26, 1861, at Dodgeville, Wis., he married Miss Margaret Wickham, who had been born at Great Western, Pa., and whose parents were natives of Cardiganshire., Wales. August 13th, 1862, enlisted in the Thirty-first Wisconsin and served until the close of war, serving with the Army of the Mississipi until the fall of Vicksburg, then with the army of the Cumberland under Gen. Sherman. Soon after the war he removed to St. Paul, Minn., where he still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Evans have two sons, E. Clark and Daniel W., hardware merchants at Portland, Ore., and three daughters, Sadie, wife of David E. Roberts of Sioux Falls, S. D., and Mary and Margaret, who reside at home. (x190)

[PHOTO] Evans, Evan (Pant), born at Nantcwnlle, Cardiganshire, Wales, May 24th, 1819, son of David and Jane Evans. The father was a prominent elder of the C.M. church of Llangeitho. July 16th, 1845, the subject of our sketch was chosen elder of the same church to succeed his father, who had died April 19th, 1845. In 1846 he went too Kingston, Herfordshire (??Kingstone, Herefordshire, England), to school. He was urged to prepare for the ministry, but concluded to continue as an elder. In August, 1854, emigrated to the United States and spent a few months at Park, near Waukesha, Wis. In April, 1855, he visited South Bend, Minn, in company with Thomas Jones (Maesmawr) (Maes-mawr = ‘big field’), and located on the farm still occupied by the family near South Bend Village. July 6th, 1855, he married at Wisconsin Miss Catherine Jones, who was also a native of Cardiganshire. Mr. Evans took a very active part in the organization of Seion church and was a prominent elder in it until his death. He helped to organize many of the C.M. churches in Blue Earth County. He was a good thinker and able debater and was quite active in all the literary societies of South Bend. He was deliberate and just in judgement, kind and generous in spirit, determined in will, and conscientious and honest in his Christian faith. He died April 16th, 1886, leaving him surviving his wife and six children: David E., Daniel A., Sarah, wife of Bennett Williams, Jane, Mary, late wife of David Herbert, South Bend, and Lizzie, wife of Richard Wigley, Jr. (x190)

[PHOTO] Evans, Evan H. Born August, 1817, at Penal (Pennal), Merionethshire, Wales. Son of Hugh and Ann Evans, who were religious people belonging to the Calvinistic Methodist Church, and the subject of our sketch was carefully nurtured in the church from his childhood. In 1842 he emigrated to Utica, N.Y., where on April 5th, 1844, he married Mary, daughter of William and Catherine Jones, of Gelli-ddraenen (Gelliddraenen; gelli’r ddraenen = (the) wood/grove (of) the hawthorn bush), Llanfihangel Pennant Parish, Merionethshire. The young couple soon moved to Emmet, Wis., and thence in June, 1855, to South Bend, Minn., and located on a fine farm on Minneopa Creek. Mr. Evans took a prominent part in the religious history of the settlement. He had been made an elder of the Calvinistic Methodist Church in 1849 by the Seion Church of Emmet, and its organization in 1856, he was called to the same office by its namesake, the Seion Church of South Bend, (now removed to Judson). Mr. Evans was a man of more than average ability, mentally and spiritually, and was always ready and active in every good work. He was a good singer and led in that service in the churches with which he was connected since he was eighteen years of age. His death occurred June 22, 1873. He left him surviving, his wife, who still resides at Mankato, and two sons, Edward and Hugh. (x191)


Evans, Griffith A.
Born at Gelly Rhun (?Gelli-rhun), Llanfrathan (Llanfrothen), near Bedd Gelert (Beddgelert), Merionethshire, Wales, in August, 1841. Son of John and Magdalen Evans, who removed to Cuellyn Llanwydda (??Llyn Cwellyn is a lake east of the mountain called Moel Tryfan; Llanwnda is a village on the other side of this mountain). Emigrated to Blue Earth County in 1869 and after stopping a few months at Mankato located on a farm in Judson. May, 1871, married Lucy, daughter of James Thomas, near Cambria, Wis. Removed to Waverly, Martin County, in 1880. Is a faithful member and deacon of the Christian Church of Horicon, Westford Township, Minn. His children are: Elizabeth, (Additonal Errata, p. x - read "Mary" instead of "Elizabeth" Jones) Margaret, William, Evan and Cadwalader. (x191)

[PHOTO] Evans, Hugh Born at South Bend, Minn., May 20, 1858. Son of Evan H. and Elizabeth Evans. Received a good business education at coomon schools and Curtis’ Business College at St. Paul. September 20, 1887, married Miss Anna, daughter of Evan and Mary Roberts, of Watertown, Wis., but formerly of Machynlleth, Wales, and they reside at Mankato, Minn. Mr. Evans has been connected for ten years with the firm of L. Patterson & Co., wholesale grocers, the last three years as a partner, and is one of the most promising young business men in Mankato. He and Mrs. Evans are active members of the Calvinsitic Methodist Church. (x191)



[PHOTO of Mr. and Mrs. Evans] Evans, John C. Born January 29 1831, at Wern, Pennant parish, near Llanrhiadr-yu-Mochnant (sic; = Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant), Montgomeryshire, Wales. Son of Edward and Ann Evans above mentioned. Emigrated with his parents to America in November, 1850, and located at Weathersfield, O. August 2d, 1852, he left the latter place for St. Paul, Minn., where he located on a farm in New Canada Township. In May, 1853, removed to LeSueur County, being the first of the Welsh settlers there. In 1861 married Mary, daughter of Rev. Richard J. Jones, who had been born at Waukesha, Wis., in 1843. They now have retired from their large and valuable farm to the city of Le Sueur. They are an upright, religious couple, who for many years have been active members of Elim church, of which Mr. Evans is an active and efficient elder. Mrs. Evans is a good Welsh writer and poetess. (x192)

[PHOTO] Evans, Rev. John J. Born at Clygir, Llandeiniolen (Llanddeiniolen), Carnarvonshire, Wales, August, 1819. He had only one day of school, for the next day his brother was accidentally killed and John was called home and had to go to work in the quarries of Llanberis. His thirst for knowledge, however, was great and he gathered a good library and acquired a fair self education. He took an active interest in tempereance, In 1845 he came to the United States, locating first at Blaen y Cae and then at Welsh Prairie, Wis. He began preaching soon after coming to Wisconsin, and was ordained at the synod of the C. M. at Columbus, in 1867. July 4, 1855, he married Miss Elenor C. Williams, native of Bodwigan, Llandensant (sic; Llanddeusant), Anglesea, Wales. In 1869 Mr. and Mrs. Evans moved to Filmore county, Minn., where on January 7, 1873, both were caught by a severe blizzard and froze to death with their youngest child. Mr. Evans was an earnest, substantial precher and an honest, faithful christian. (x193)


 

Evans, Joshua Thomas Was born January 16, 1861, in Welsh Prairie, near Cambria, Wis. Youngest son of Rev. John J. and Eleanor C. Evans. In 1869 moved with his parents to Lime Springs, Iowa. January 7th, 1873, his parents and younger sister perished in a snow storm, and he was left to care for himself. For several years he worked among the farmers and attended school in winter. Began preaching early in 1881 and six years were spent in study at Lake Forest University, Lake Forest, Ill., and at the McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago Ill. Graduating from the latter April 5th, 1888. The next day he went to Minneapolis to commence on his work as District Superintendent for the American Bible Society for Minnesota and North and South Dakota, a position which he still holds. He was ordained by the Welsh Synod of Wisconsin in October, 1888, and December 31, 1889, was married to Miss Winnie Owens, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Owens, of Minneapolis. He takes interest in political (Errata: read "poetical" instead of "political") and literary work, and articles from his pen have been highly commended. (x192)


[PHOTO] Evans, M. A., Miss Margaret J. Daughter of Daniel M. and Sarah Evans, who came from Wales in 1835. Her mother, whose maiden name was James, was born at Blanhalen (?Blaenhalen), Carmarthenshire, and is sister to the wife of the Welsh poet, Eos Glan Twrch (literally, “(the) nightingale (of) (the) riverbank (of the river) Twrch”. In bardic names (Welsh names adopted by poets to replace their official English names) ‘eos’ was often used. Twrch is a river in the county of Powys). Miss Evans was born at Utica, N.Y. In 1869 she graduated A.B. from Lawrence University, Wis. She taught for one year in Donner College, Fox Lake., Wis., and then went to Lawrence University as preceptress and teacher of German and English. In 1874 she was called to Carleton College, Northfield, Minn., as teacher of modern Languages and English Literature, and in 1875 was made a professor in these branches. In the summer of 1878 she obtained a year’s leave of absence from her college studies to pursue some special studies in Europe, which she did in Germany and France, returning to her clases in the fall of 1879. The summers of 1884 and 1890 she spent also in Germany pursuing special studies. In 1892 she again went to Europe for a year of further study in Germany and Oxford., England, and in the fall of 1893 again resumerd her place at Carleton as lady principal and professor of English literature. Miss Evans is a lady of fine presence, a brilliant conversationalist, a ripe scholar, a most successful teacher and an able and ready writer and speaker. For twenty years as lady principal she has stood at the head of the ladies’ department of Carleton College, and it is mostly due to her ability and tact that this branch of the college has had such a wonderful growth and success. Miss Evans is also a noble, earnest christian, who has always been an active worker in every religious effort among the young ladies of her charge. She has also taken great interest in home and foreign missions and for a number of years has been president of the woman’s board of missions of the Congregational churches of Minnesota. (x193)

 Evans,
Mrs. Mary A. Wife of D.H. Evans, Esq., born February 17th, 1858, at Berlin, Wis. Her parents were Wm. J. and Hannah Evans. In 1870 she removed with her parents to Emporia, Kan., and thence in 1872 to Denver, Col., where February 20th, 1880, she united in marriage with Mr. Evans. She is of a very kind and generous disposition and is much admired for her amiable ways. (x194)

[PHOTO] Evans, M. D., Hon. Owen J. The subject of this sketch was born at Remsen, N.Y. in 1840. Educated in the Rome Academy and Albany Medical College. Went to the army in 1862 as assistant surgeon, of the 40th New York and in 1863 was promoted surgeon. In 1865 was chief medical officer at Farmeville, Virginia. At the close of the war he came to Minneapolis in 1865, and so far as is known is the first Cymro (Wwekshman) to settle in that city. Few have held do many important offices as Dr. Evans. He has been two years in the city council, two years a health officer, three years a member of the board of education and two years a member of the board of education and two years a member of the state Legislature. He has been president of the Hennepin County Medical Society and was president of the first Eisteddfod held in Minneapolis, January 1st, 1895. Mr. Evans is an active member of the Westminster Presbyterian Church. (x194)

[PHOTO] Evans, Robert G. Born March 18th, 1854, at Troy, Ind., of Welsh and English ancestry. His boyhood days were spent at Rockford, Ind. He was educated in the State University at Bloomington: Commenced to practice law at Vincennes, Ind., in 1876. In 1884 he removed to Minneapolis, where he has been in the practice of his profession ever since, being now a member of the well known firm of Keith, Evans, Thompson & Fairchild. He takes considerable interest in politics and since 1887 has been the member for Minnesota at thr Republican National Committee. He has never sought any office for himself. He has the ability and energy to make a success of whatever he undertakes. As a lawyer he is able, thorough and active, a fine speaker and quick of perception, as a man he is kind, genial and strictly honest, which qualities have won him a host of friends all over our state. (x194)

[PHOTO] Evans, Rev. William E. Born at Cefn Caer (Cefn-caer), Pennal, Merionethshire, Wales, May 5th, 1862, son of Lewis and Catherine Evans, educated at Aberystwyth College and at the Bala
1972k C.M. Theological Seminary. He then went to Edinburgh University, Scotland, for a portion of three years, but on account of failing health was obliged to leave before fully completing his course. March 4th, 1890, he married Miss Margaret Ellen Hughes, of Bala 1972k, Wales. Emigrated to America in the spring of 1890 and located first at Racine, then at Waukesha and then at Milwaukee. In December, 1894, he accepted a call to the C. M. church of Mankato, Minn., and began his pastoral charge there on January 1st, 1895. He has had a religious training from his youth, and began preaching at his home church when 18 years old, and at the age of 20 he was licensed by the synod. He is fast winning prominence as one of the ablest preachers in his denomination. (x195)

[PHOTO] Evans, W. J. Born August 30, 1861, and is the son of Robert J. Evans, of Prairie du Chien, Wis., formerly of Milwaukee, and a native of a place near Rhuthyn (Rhuthun) in Wales. He entered into the employment of the C., M. & St. P. R. R. at the shops of Prairie du Chien in 1879, his father being the superintendent of the shops at the time. In 1890 he went into the shops at North McGregor, Iowa, remained there three years, then accepted a position with the C., St. P, M. & O. R. R., at St. Paul, and occupied different positions with that road until 1888, then left to accept a better position with the St. P., M. & M. R. R., (now the G. N. R. R.) in charge of their Claim Department. In 1892 he was appointed Freight Claim Agent and held that position until January, 1894, when he was offered and accepted the present position of Assistant General Freight Agent. Mr. Evans was married September 4, 1888, to Miss Ida C. Morrison, of Prairie du Chien, Wis. J. R. Evans, Esq., of Milwaukee, Wis., is a brother of his father, and the noted singer, Mollie Evans, is consequently his cousin. (x195)

[PHOTO] Griffiths, James Born at Mydrim (Meidrim), Carmarthenshire, Wales, January, 1838. Son of Joseph and Anna Griffiths. His father was a stone mason by trade and an elder in the Mydrim (Meidrim) C. M. (Calvanistic Methodist) church. In 1860 he married Amy, daughter of Levy James, an elder of the C.M. church of Siloh, Maesteg (Maes-teg; a former mining town in the present Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr county in south-east Wales). They first settled at Aberdulas (Aberdulais; a village by Tonna in the present county of Castell-nedd ac Aberafan, in south-east Wales), but soon removed thence to Cwm Rhondda (a former mining valley in south-east Wales). In April, 1870, they emigrated to America and settled for a short time in Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Pomeroy, Ohio, whence they came to LeSueur county, Minn., in (the) spring of 1872, and thence after a few months to Mankato, Minn., where he died December 10, 1833. He was a stone mason by trade and an excellent workman. He was made an elder of the C.M. church at Jerusalem church (sic), Cwm Rhondda, Wales, and officiated with great faithfulness in the Welsh church at Mankato until his death. He was a fine musician and generally led in the church singing. He, also, was very energetic in training young people in music and organizing them into Bands of Hope. He left him surviving his wife and their five children: Isaac, Phebe, wife of John Owens of South Bend, Anne, wife of Owen Roberts of St. Paul, John (now deceased), and Thomas. (x196)

[PHOTO] Griffiths, John J. Born at the village of Criciath (this is the colloquial pronunciaiton of the village name; the official name = Cricieth), Carnarvonshire, Wales, July 10, 1825. His parents, John and Jane Griffiths, removed when he was six years old to Llanllyfni. At the age of twenty years he left home and sprnt two years in Conway (Conwy) and vicinity. In the spring of 1847 he emigrated to Boston, Mass., and remained there and at Quincy until fall, when he went to Uitca, N. Y., for four months, and then returned to Boston. In the fall of 1848 he removed to Columbus township, Dodge City, Wis., where he purchased a farm. He continued, however, to follow the stone mason trade for a few years after this - working seven summers on the Institute for the Blind at Janesville, Wis., and three years bridge building for the Chicago and Galena Ry., at Rockford and Scales Mound, Ill. He also spent one winter at New Orleans. Nov 6, 1885, at New Diggins, Wis., he married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Jenkins, of Pontyrwy (no such place; probably Ponterwyd is meant), Cardiganshire, Wales, who had emigrated to Wisconsin in 1841. (Added from Additonal Errata, p. x - His first wife died in January, 1862, and October 15, 1867, he married near Columbus, Wis., Miss Elizabeth, daughter of William Richards, who was born near Dolgelly (Dolgellau), Wales, in March, 1839, and emigrated in 1840, with her parents, to Newport, N. Y., and thence to Columbus, Wis., in 1865.) Selling his farm at Columbus he reached Mankato March 15, 1869, and soon settled on a large farm in Judson. In November, 1886, he retired from his farm to Mankato, where he and his good wife now reside in good circumstances and much esteemed for their integrity of character. Their children are: John R., Jane A., wife of F. A. Peterson, of Chicago, William, Edward and Spencer. (x196)

[PHOTO] Harris, Daniel L. Born at Cilcwm (Cil-cwm) Carmarthenshire, Wales, in 1832. Son of Wm. and Sarah Harris. Emigrated to Wisconsin in 1856 and soon thereafter located at LaCrescent, Minn. In 1864 married Miss Elizabeth Humphreys, of Waterville, Wis., and removed to Cambria, Minn. His wife died July 3, 1877. March 10, 1882, he married Mrs. Margaret Evans. Had eight children by his first wife, three of whom have died. He was a member of Salem Cong. church at Cambria, and is now of the Welsh church at Lake Crystal. By hard, honest toil he has accumulated considerable property. In 1892 he retired from the farm and purchased a pleasant home at Lake Crystal, where he and Mrs. Harris now reside. (x197)

[PHOTO] Harris, David L. Son of Wm. and Sarah Harris, herein mentioned. Born near Cilcwm (Cil-cwm) Carmarthenshire, Wales, December 27th, 1838. Emigrated with his parents to LaCrescent, Minn., in 1858 and then to Cambria, Minn., in the spring of 1865. Married Miss Sarah Winn, of Jefferson county, Wisconsin, January 25th, 1868, who died June 5th, 1889. Mr. Harris, like his brother Daniel, has by honest toil, possessed himself of a large farm and much other property. He is a worthy and faithful member of the Salem Congregational church. His children are: William, John, Sarah Ann, Hattie and Mary Jane. (x198)

[PHOTO] Harris, Wm. Born at Rhandir Mwyn (Rhandir-mwyn = rhandir y mwyn - ‘(the) allotment (of) (the) ore’) near Cil Cwm (Cil-cwm) Carmarthenshire, Wales, February 3rd, 1804. His parents were named Wm. H. and Catherine Harris. Married in 1826 Miss Sarah Lewis. When about twenty-five years old he united wih the C.M. church of Goshen in his native town. About 1830 he removed to a place called Rhandir Ganol near Pant-y-Celyn (Pantycelyn). In September, 1858, emigrated to LaCrescent, Minn., where he lived until the spring of 1865, when he emigrated to Cambria, Minn. There he died January 24, 1892. Mr. Harris was a quiet, industrious man, rather original in his ways but of great zeal and hospitality toiwards God’s cause. For five or six years prior to the erection of its house of worship in 1871, he opened the door of his home to the Salem Congregational church to hold all its Sunday and midweek services in (sic) free of charge. His children are: William, Daniel, David, John, Thomas and Evan L. Harris, and Mary, wife of Hugh J. Williams, Tracy, Minn. (x198)

[PHOTO] Howell, David R. Born February 28. 1856, at Cambria, Wis. His parents were David and Margaret Howell, his mother being a sister of J.L. Owens, of Minneapolis. Attended the district school and worked on the farm and studied for three years, 76-78, at Ripon college. Was in business with this brother at Cambria selling machinery. In the fall of 1879 came to Minneapolis and worked for the Minneapolis Harvester Company. The following year formed a partnership with his brother, Robert R. Howell, under the name of R.R. Howells & Co., and for four years were jobbers for threshing machine goods exclusivley. In 1884 a general line of farm machinery was added and a large wholesale and retail business was carried on at 222 Washington avenue. In 1886 they began manufacturing and in 1890 built a large manufacturing plant on Thirtieth avenue southeast and Fifth street, where from 50 to 100 men are kept constantly at work. In 1891 the store on Washington avenue was moved to the corner of Washington and Second avenue north in order to have a larger building. David R. has charge of the business department and through economy, energy and perseverance has worked up a large trade. (x198)

[PHOTO] Howell, Robert R. Born March 6, 1854. Son of David and Margaret Howell, and a nephew on his mothers (sic) side of J.L. Owens, of Minneapolis. Worked on the farm in his youth and in addition to the district school spent two years at Ripon college. Was for some time in the machinery business with his brother in Cambria, Wis., and came to Minneaplois in the fall of 1879 and worked for the Minneapolis Harvester Company. In 1890 formed a co-partnership with his brother, David R., under the name of R.R. Howells & Co., which still exists. (See David R. Howell.) Robert R. has an inventive mind and has charge of the manufacturing and mechanical department of the business. In 1882 he invented the Howell Grain register, in 1884 a tank pump for threshing machine purposes and in 1885 an automatic sacker for thrashing (sic) machine purposes. In 1887 he invented a separating part on a threshing machine, and later a Roller Feed Mill. In addition to these he has numerous improvements in various lines, and the untiring energy which he has shown well deserves the sucess which he has attained. (x199)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Byron Born at Cambria, Wis., August 14th, 1860, son of Hon. Robert H. Hughes. He was educated at the common schools and at the Mankato State Normal School. Studied law and was admitted to practice in May, 1885. Married Miss Annie E. James, of Kings, Ill., in December, 1885, and began the practice of his profession at Tracy, Minn. After two years he removed to Mankato. He was elected county attorney of Blue Earth county in the fall of 1890 and held the office for two years. Was elected special judge of the municipal court of Mankato in April, 1893, for the term of three years. He and his brother Wm. F. are members of the well known law firm of Hughes, Rice and Hughes, at Mankato. (x199)

[PHOTO] Hughes, David Born at Banc-eithin (Banceithin), Cardiganshire, Wales, March 1, 1831. His parents were John and Ann Hughes. After residing some time at Pant-y-beddau (Pantybeddau), Llanbadarn Fach, in the same shire, he emigrated in 1838 to the Horeb neighborhood, Jackson county, O., and removed from there with the Jackson colony (see 0875 The colony from Jackson, Ohio) to Le Sueur county, Minn., in May, 1856. March 26, 1853, he married Miss Margaret, (Errata: read "Elizabeth" instead of "Margaret") daughter of Evan and Jane Griffiths, of Le Sueur county. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes are faithful and energetic members of Elim church and have been much prospered in all their ways. They have had nine children, six of whom are now living. (x199)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Mrs. David Born in Jackson county, O., in 1844. Her father was a native of Talfar (??) in the parish of Trefilar (sic: = Trefilan), Cardiganshire, Wales, where he had been born in October, 1804. Son of Thomas and Mary Davies who were worthy members of Llangeitho church. He married Jane, daughter of Wm. and Margaret Jenkins, of Bremelyn (??Brynmelyn), Llangeitho, in the summer of 1831, and in 1847 emigrated to Jackson county, O. As there were many of his name on the ship he changed his surname from "Davies" to "Griffiths" and ever afterwards kept his assumed name. (??Because it was his mother’s surname?). He was a prominent and useful member of the C. M. church, and died in Le Sueur county, February 24, 1873. (x200)

 (Click on the photo to see an enlargement)

Hughes, Evan Born February 9, 1862, at Cambria, Minn. Son of Henry and Eliza Hughes. Educated at his home school, District No. 11, and at Carleton college. Was principal of the Franklin and Pleasant Grove schools at Mankato for three years, and of the Lake Crystal school for one year. Read law in his brother’s office at Mankato and was admitted to practice in May, 1891, and has been asociated with his brother, Thos. Hughes, in the law business ever since. He is a good singer and has been a very efficient and faithful member of the Congregational church choir for years. (Evan Hughes is one of the authors of this book) (x200)

[PHOTO of Mr. and Mrs. Hughes] Hughes, Henry Born June 4th, 1833, at Tredegar,
1962k Monmouthshire, S. Wales. His parents were named Thomas and Mary Hughes. His father was a native of Aberystwyth and operated a coal mine in Sirhowy (Sirhywi). Both parents were very religious and took active part in church matters. The father being one of the first deacons of "Ebenezer" Congregational church of Sirhowy (Sirhywi). Both died when Henry was quite young. In July, 1851, he emigrated to Minersville near Pomeroy, Ohio, where he worked in the coal mines. 1853 he married Miss Eliza, daughter of John and Elizabeth Avis, Llanarth (Llannarth) (,) Cardiganshire. in 1854 on (the) advice of Rev. John H. Jones and at (the) request of Pomeroy churches he began preaching. In October, 1855, he removed with his wife and child to Judson, Blue Earth county, Minn., and in the following June they located on their homestead in the present town of Cambria. He at once took a most active part in all the affairs of the new settlement, both temporal and spritual. At the request of the Salem Congregational church he began preaching for it soon after his arrival and continued to do so at intervals until the Indian outbreak of 1862. From August 1862 until January 1867 he was postmaster at the Butternut Valley post-office. He was very active in the cause of education and was repeatedly a member of the school board and much of the success of the famous District No. 11 was due to his efforts. He took much interest in the work of the Bible Society and was treasurer of the local society for over twenty years and was made life member by the parent society. He likewise took much interest in Sunday school work and was superintendent of the Salem Congregational Sunday school for over twenty years. In 1889 he retired from his farm and built him a pleasant home in the city of Mankato, where he now resides with his estimable wife. Three children are Thomas and Evan Hughes, lawyers; Mankato, Minn.; Henry J. Hughes, residing on the old homestead in Cambria; Mary A. wife of David E. Bowen, Hannah J., wife of Evan Price, Albert B., student at Carleton college and Alice and Lizzie Hughes. His has been an (sic) useful Christian life. (x200)

 Hughes, Hugh D. Born at Minersville, Pa., February 3, 1847. Son of Robert E. and Catherine Hughes (California). Came to Judson, Minn., with his parents from Portage Prairie, in 1867. Married Margaret, daughter of Robert Roberts, of Judson, Minn., April 1870. Followed farming for a few years, but having learned the carpenter’s trade he removed to Mankato in 1886, and has since followed this occupation in which he is quite proficient. Like his father he is passionately fond of music and has a good tenor voice. He has trained and led several choirs to victory inmusical contests, and has charge of the music at the Welsh church at Mankato. His daughter, Jennie, is also developing much musical ability - vocal and instrumental. She is the organist at the Welsh church and has sung in a number of prominent choirs. (x201)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Miss Jennie (no entry. Photo only)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Rev. Richard Born at Talyllychan (misprint for Talyllychau), Carmarthenshire, May 8, 1825, and is the son of the late Rev. David Hughes, Llanelli, South Wales. His mother was a daughter of Rev. Richard Davies, Caio (Caeo). He comes from a family whose pedigree can be traced to the old Nonconformists. He was married at Llandybie (Llandybďe) in the same shire to Miss Sarah Rees, May 21, 1847. They have four sons and five daughters all living. Mr. H. began preaching the gospel in 1848, was received as apreacher in 1850, and was ordained to the full work of the ministry of the Calvanistic Methodist church at Llandeilo, S. Wales in the year 1858. He was pastor in his native county for ten years, from 1860 to 1870, when he emigrated to America and became pastor of Elim and Saron churches in Le Sueur county, Minn., where he served faithfully for four years. In May, 1874, he took charge of Salem church, Long Crreek, Iowa, as successor to Rev. Griffith Roberts. He served this church with success for ten years. At this time Bethel church was built in the northern part of the settlement and Mr. H. became its pastor in 1884, serving it until compelled by ill health to resign in 1893. His labors, care and success in superintending the missionary work of the church in the west has been so great that he has been honored with the title, "hte bishop of the west." He visited his native country in 1884, and was warmly received by his old friends and associates. No minister of the gospel among the Welsh people is better known in Wales and America than Mr. Hughes. For a few years he has been almost totally blind and the Welsh people, as an expression of their sympathy with him in his affliction and of appreciation of his great services, have recently given him a testimonial of over one thousand dollars. (x201)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Robert E. (California) Born at Porthmadoc (Porthmadog), Carnarvonshire, Wales, December 20, 1819. His parents were Evan and Jane Hughes. His father was a weaver by trade and soon after Robert was born went to live at Festiniog. When a young man Robert left home to work in the coal mines of Merthyr Tydfil (Merthyrtudful), and about 1839 he emigrated to California, settling in Pennsylvania where he married at Pottsville in 1842, Catherine, daughter of William and Catherine Davies, who were from Dowlais Glanmorganshire (sic), Wales. In 1849 he went to the California gold fields. He remained there until 1851, when he returned and removed his family at once to Portage Prairie, Wis., where he purchased a good farm. In 1867 he removed to Judson, Minn., where he again engaged in farming. In the spring of 1876 he received a severe stroke of paralysis which clouded his intellect. September 29, of the same year(,) his wife died, and he followed her to the better land December 13, 1881. He was a man of more than ordinary ability and took much interest in Eisteddfodau and literature. He was a good musician and did much in training the young people of the neighborhoods where he lived in music. He was a faithful elder of the C. M. church for years. His surviving children are: Hugh D., Martha, Alexander,and James. (x202)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Hon. Robert H. Born at Llauwchlin (Llanuwchllyn), Merionethshire, December 29, 1832. His parents were named Hugh and Ann Hughes and were among the old settlers of Blue Earth county, Minn. His parents were named Hugh and Ann Hughes and were among the old settlers of Blue Earth county, Minn. He emigrated with his parents to the vicinity of Utica, N.Y., in the spring of 1846. Thence he removed to Nelson, Madison county., N.Y. He was married to Miss Hannah Bumford, daughter of William Bumford, Esq., of Utica, N.Y., in October, 1853. In 1854 they removed to Cambria, Wis., where they resided until 1862 when they came to Blue Earth county, Minn., arriving in the town of Judson where they located on a farm on the 6th day of September of that year. In 1865 he removed to his present farm in the town of Cambria. Mr. Hughes is a man of good ability and has always taken a very active part in the political affairs of his community, and has almost continuously held office in his municipality - for eighteen years he has been on the board of supervisiors - generally as chairman, twenty-five years he was justice of the peace. Twice he was elected member of the state legislature - in 1874 and 1875. His children are Mrs. Mar A., widow of Rev. David D. Jones, Tracy, Minn., Hugh H. Hughes of Lyon county, Wm. F. and Byron Hughes, lawyers, of Mankato, Minn., Mrs. Amelia Harris, wife of Evan L. Harris of Cambria, Minn., Ernest and Llewlyn Hughes of the same place. (x202)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Rev. Robert W. Is a native of North Wales, and was born December 21, 1841. His father’s name was William Hughes, and his mother was the oldest daughter of the late patriarch, Hugh Roberts, and sister of the late Thos. H. Roberts, of Proscairon, Wis., all formerly from Carnarvonshire, North Wales. When he was but two years old his father lost his life accidentally in the Dinorwic (Dinorwig in correct Welsh spelling) quarries. In about a year afterwards the widowed mother and her four children emigrated to America, settling in the northern part of Columbia county, Wisconsin. Like many other farmer boys, Robert attended the district school during the winters and worked on the farm in the summer. In 1861 he attended a graded school at Oshkosh, Wis., and then attended school for a number of years at Wayland University, Beaver Dam, Wis., intermitting terms of study with farm work and teaching. In the year 1871, at Foreston, Iowa, where the family had removed, he commenced his career as a preacher of the gospel, and in the year 1874 was ordained to the full work of the ministry by the Welsh Synod of Minnesota, convened at Jerusalem, Judson, Minn. In 1873 he became pastor of the Welsh church at Clay County, Iowa. He served as pastor of the church at Dawn, Mo., in 1876, and was pastor of his old home church at Foreston, Iowa, from 1876 to 1881, a period of five years. Owing to certain circumstances, of which we need not write, Mr. Hughes, in 1853, united with the Congregational Association of Iowa, and bacame pastor of a Congregational church at Polk City, near Des Moines. After serving this charge for a time he was appointed pastor at large for the state of Iowa. In 1889 he was chosen delegate to and attended the World’s Sunday School Convention at London, England. In October, 1889, he was appointed district superintendent of the American Bible Society for the State of Iowa, in which work he is now engaged with marked success. Although broken down in health he holds to his work with the tenacity of love. (x203)

 (Click on the photo to see an enlargement)

Hughes, Thos. (= Thomas) Lawyer, born at Minersville, O., (= Ohio) September 23, 1854. Son of Henry and Eliza Hughes, who removed to Blue Earth county, Minn., in October, 1855, and located on a farm in Cambria township the following June. Thomas remained on the home farm and attending school in District No. 11, until January 1874, when he entered the Preparatory department of Carleton college, Northfield, Minn. He graduated A. B. from this college in 1880. Read law with Waite & Porter at Mankato, Minn., and was admitted to practice at the May term of the District Court, 1882. Purchasing the law library of Judge Waite he at once commenced the practice of his profession at Mankato. Formed a law partnership with M. G. Willard in February, 1884, which continued until July, 1887. November 25, 1885, he married Miss Alice O., daughter of Amos B. and Sybil B. Hills, of Faribault, Minn., who was a graduate of Carleton college in the class of 1881. They have two children: Burton E. and Evan Raymond. (Thomas Hughes is one of the authors of this book) (x204)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Thomas Born near Bodedern, Anglesea, Wales in 1825. Son of Wm. and Elizabeth Hughes. His father was a brother of Robert Hughes, Neuadd-y-blawd, author of "Gell Gymysg". When he was five years old his parents removed to the village of Bodedern, where for four years he attended school. He then spent five years with his uncle and aunt, Tyn-y-Cae (Tyn-y-cae), Llanfwrog, and the next four years were spent with Dr. Roberts, Mynyddygof (Mynydd-y-gof), a very religious man. While here at the age of fourteen years he united with the C. M. church of Bodedern. After leaving the employ of Dr. Roberts he spent some time with Robert Owens, Tyn y Cae (Tyn-y-cae). When twenty years old, his brother, Owen Hughes, who was a sailor, induced him and all the family to emigrate to Ixonia, Wis. In December, 1850, he returned to Wales and married Miss Jane, daughter of William and Elizabeth Roberts. Returning the young couple located on a farm in Ixonia, Wis., for five years, thence they moved to Bangor, Wis. for seven years, and thence to Judson, Minn. In 1867 they removed to Mankato and Mr. Hughes was appointed Deputy Sheriff, which office he held for four years. In 1870 he removed to a farm in South Bend. In 1888 he and Rev. John W. Roberts made an extended visit to North and South Wales, and a number were induced by them to emigrate to Blue Earth county. In 1891 he retired from his farm and built a fine residence at Mankato where he and Mrs. Hughes now reside in comfortable circumstances. They are worthy members of the C. M. church in Mankato and Mr. Hughes has been a prominent elder in the church for years. (x204)

 (Click on the photo to see an enlargement)

Hughes, Rev. Thos. E. Was born at Clynnog, Carnarvonshire, North Wales, June 27, 1844. He is the first born of eight children, five on (sic) who are still living. His father is Mr. Benjamin Hughes, of Columbus, Wis. He came with his parents to the United States in the summer of 1845. The family settled at Columnus, Wis. He came with hisn parents to the United States in the summer of 1845. The family settled at Columbus, Wis., where Mr. Hughes continued to reside till the year 1868. He received his education in the common schools of the day and at Wayland University, a Baptist institution not far from his home. He served in the Union army for about three years - from August, 1862, to July, 1865 - in Company G, Twenty-third Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers. He commenced preaching at Salem church, Columbus, in 1866; he was received by Presbytery in 1867, and ordained, with the Rev. Wm. Machno Jones, at Cambria, Wis., in 1870. He was united in marriage to Miss Grace James of the same place in 1868, who was a help-mate for him until her decease in August, 1892. From the years 1868 to 1873 he was engaged in mission work among the Freedmen (freedman = a man who has been freed from slavery; Webster’s Dictionary) in the states of Arkansas and Missouri, under the auspices of the American Missionary association and the Welsh Presbytarian Synod of Wisconsin. For nearly the two following years he resided again at his old home in Wisconsin. In 1874 he accepted a call to the Williamsburg and Welsh Prairie churches in Iowa where he served as pastor for fourteen years. In 1888 he removed to Minnesota, accepting a pastorate of Bethel and Horeb churches in Blue Earth county, where he still ministers. He has three children and an adopted daughter, viz: Maggie J., Robert L., Bennie D., and Mary E. In 1884 he paid a visit to his native country. (Rev. Thomas E. Hughes is one of the authors of this book) (x205)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Thos. R. Born at Columbus, Wis., in 1854. His father, Richard A. Hughes, was from Bala
1972k, Merionethshire, Wales, and his mother, Eleanor (Jones) Hughes, was from Denbighshire. In June, 1870, he entered the service of the W. & St. P. Ry. as brakeman. He then worked for a few months in 1873 for the H. D. C. Ry. and in December of that year went to Texas in the employ of the H. T. C. Ry. (= Houston & Texas Central Railway Company ) Came back in 1875 and worked again for the C., M. St. P. Ry. until 1877 when he went on to the O. & M. Ry., between Cincinnati, O., and Vicennes, Ind. In 1878 accepted a position on the C. & N. W. Ry., with which he still continues as passenger conductor. October 20, 1880, he married Miss Henrietta Courthard, at Waseca, Minn. They have three children: Archibald, Ethel and Earl. (x206)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Wm. F. Born at Cambria, Wis., May 17, 1858. Son of Hon R. H. Hughes. Spent a number of years at the State Normal school at Mankato and the State University at Minneapolis. Read law with Brownand Wiswell, of Mankato, and was admitted to practice May 17, 1882. Opened an office at Ipswich, South Dakota, in partnership with a Mr. Rowlee, as Rowlee & Hughes, which continued for seven years. Married Miss Susie S. Strait in January, 1885. In April, 1890, he removed to Fairhaven, Wash., and formed a law partnership with Geo. Rice as Rice and Hughes. He was city attorney of Fairhaven during 1891-2. In the spring of 1893 removed to Mankato and formed a partnership with his brother, Byron, as Hughes Bros. Mr. Rice came to Mankato in 1894 and joined the firm - its name being changed to Hughes, Rice & Hughes. They enjoy a good practice. (x206)

[PHOTO] Hughes, Wm. R. Born at Ixonia, Wis., May 8, 1853. Son of Thomas and Jane Hughes. Came with his parents to Judson, Minn., in the fall of 1861 and removed with them to Mankato in 1869, where he attended the State Normal school for four years. He then worked seven years for B. Tuttle in the hardware business in Mankato. He then bought his father’s farm in South Bend and operated it for six years. May 9, 1881, he married Miss Tryphoena, daughter of John and Elizabeth Lewis of Ixonia, Wis. In 1883 he retired from his farm and built a very handsome residence in the city of Mankato, and engaged in the life insurance business, working for the Northwestern Mutual Life of Milwaukee and other companies. In 1893 he became afflicted with a cancer on the neck, which finally caused his death on February 4, 1895. He was a man of splendid business energy, of excellent character and a faithful member of the Welsh church. He left him surviving his wife and two children, Thomas and Bessie. (x206)

[PHOTO] Hughes, William S. Born at Ty Cochyn (Ty^cochyn), Llanrhyddlad, Anglesea, Wales, February 7, 1842. When about thirteen years old was apprenticed as a pupil teacher in the British school of the parish. After leaving this school he entered the employ of a commission merchant in South Castle street, Liverpool. Emigrated in May, 1864, to Utica, N.Y., and thence in the spring of 1865 to Butternut Valley, Minn., and located on his farm in section 4, where he still resides. Married Catherine, daughter of Hugh R. Williams, of Cambria, Minn. He has held a number of offices in his town and during 1879, 1880 and 1881 was county commissioner of Blue Earth county. He is a man of good education, and much force of character. He is also a faithful and prominent member of Bethel C. M. church. (x207)

[PHOTO] Isaac, Rev. Richard Born at Llwyn-y-Ci (Llwyn-y-ci) near Bala
1972k, Merionethshire, Wales. His early days were spent at Gwyddelwern, working in his father’s blacksmith shop. When he was sixteen years old his father died and he carried on the work alone. December 4th, 1840, he married Miss Elizabeth Roberts, of Tynant (Ty-nant) (,) Gwyddelwern, a most estimable young woman. In the summer of 1843 they emigrated to America, settling at Trenton, Oneida county, N. Y., where he worked at his trade about two years. He then removed to Utica where he continued at the blacksmith trade for ten years. At Utica, about 1852, he began to preach at the C. M. churches. In 1854 he removed to Bryn Mawr, where he remained until April, 1857, when he went to take charge of the churches at Collinsville, Constableville and Tug Hill, Lewis county, N. Y. He was ordained at the C. M. Synod which met at Utica, in 1858. The next spring he removed to South Trenton, N. Y., but after nine years he returned again to his old pastorate with the churches in Lewis county. In March, 1874, he accepted a call to the church of Foreston, Iowa, where he continued until his death which occurred February 7th, 1892. He was possessed of an excellent memory and strong reasoning faculties which fitted him specially for doctrinal preaching. While not great as a popular preacher his sincerity and faithfulness as a pastor and his godly walk and conversation as a man gave him great power and efficiency with young and old. (x207)


END OF PAGE 2

 


LINKS TO OTHER PAGES IN THE "WALES-CATALONIA" WEBSITE:

kimkat0893e
Geirfa Lakota (Dakota)-Cymraeg-Saesneg
Lakota (Dakota)-Welsh-English vocabulary

kimkat0855e
Rhestr o gynnw˙s y ll˙fr 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota...'
List of the contents of 'The History of the Welsh in Minnesota...' 
·····
kimkat0894e
Ein mynegai i'r ll˙fr (heb ei orffen)
Our index to the book (incomplete)
·····
kimkat0895e
ychwanegiadau diweddaraf o 'Hanes y Cymr˙ ym Minnesota...'
latest additions from the 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota
·····
kimkat0856e
ein rhestr o'r enwau yn 'Hanes y Cymr˙ ym Minnesota...' (heb ei orffen)
our list of the names which appear in the 'History of the Welsh in Minnesota...' (incomplete)
·····
kimkat0859e
y Cymr˙ yn erb˙n y Sioux a'r Winnebagos - gwrthryfel 1862
the Welsh against the Sioux and the Winnebagoes - the 1862 uprising
·····
kimkat0550e
mynegai i'r h˙n s˙dd genn˙m yn y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
index to the pages in the "Wales-Catalonia" website
·····
kimkat0596e
adrannau'r Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
siteplan - list of sections in the "Wales-Catalonia" website
·····
kimkat0008e
cyntedd croeso y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
the reception area of the "Wales-Catalonia" website
·····
kimkat0001
tudalen blaen y Gwefan 'Cymru-Catalonia'
front page of the 'Wales-Catalonia' Website

 
·····

EDRYCHWCH - VIEW
Edrychwch ar ein Ll˙fr Ymwelw˙r!
View our Visitors' Book!
1853e kimkat1853e
 
LLOFNODWCH - SIGN
Hoffech chi lofnodi ein Ll˙fr Ymwelw˙r?
Would you like to sign our Visitors' Book?
1853e kimkat1853e
 

Ble'r wyf i? Yr ych chi'n ymwéld ag un o dudalennau'r Gwefan "CYMRU-CATALONIA"
On sóc?
Esteu visitant una pŕgina de la Web "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Gal·les-Catalunya)
Where am I?
You are visiting a page from the "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Wales-Catalonia) Website
 

Adolygiad diweddaraf / Latest update: 2012-09-01, 25 09 2001

 

 ·····

OTHER EXTERNAL LINKS:

(1) See John Ball’s Archifau Hanes Teuluoedd Cymreig / Welsh Family History Archive
http://home.clara.net/clara.net/w/f/h/wfha/webspace/wales/ "I will help you find out more about Wales and about your own Welsh ancestry - and I hope you’ll make some new friends, too!"

(2) See the Wales Forum on the GenCom Website - type in Wales in the "Forum Finder" box at http://genforum.familytreemaker.com/

·····

 

0867 Gwefan Cymru-Catalonia / Wales-Catalonia Website. The Welsh in Minnesota – an online version of a book published in 1895 - "History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers. Edited by Revs. Thos. E. Hughes and David Edwards, and Messrs. Hugh G. Roberts and Thomas Hughes"

Adolygiad diweddaraf / Latest update:  25 09 2001

Ble'r wyf i? Yr ych chi'n ymwéld ag un o dudalennau'r Gwefan "CYMRU-CATALONIA"
On sóc? Esteu visitant una pŕgina de la Web "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Gal·les-Catalunya)
Where am I? You are visiting a page from the "CYMRU-CATALONIA" (= Wales-Catalonia) Website
Weř(r) ŕm ai? Yůu ŕa(r) vízďting ř peij frňm dhř "CYMRU-CATALONIA (= Weilz-Katřlóuniř) Wébsait

Free Hit Counters

CYMRU-CATALUNYA